Food Fight Friday: Moose Steaks vs. Fried Perch and Pike

The Wild Chef

March 29, 2013

Food Fight Friday: Moose Steaks vs. Fried Perch and Pike

By David Draper

In my post last week about what to eat on an ice-fishing trip, I mentioned both moose steaks and fried fish. Well, here are the meals I was talking about—both cooked up by my friend Phil Francone, a native to the Nebraska Panhandle who’s been working out of Cabela’s Canada headquarters for the past couple years. While he’s not quite fully assimilated, he does have a firm handle on the hospitality Canadians are so well known for and opened his home to us for a few days of fun on the ice.

Moose Steaks

Most of the drive through the Dakotas involved white knuckling in whiteout conditions, so the three of us who made the trip were ready for a stiff drink when it was over. Phil had whiskey on hand, and followed that up with these steaks from a moose he shot in Newfoundland last fall. With a wind-chill well below zero, the weather wasn’t really conducive to grilling, so Phil pan-fried the steaks and oven-roasted some asparagus to remind us it really was almost spring even if it didn’t quite feel like it.

Fried Fish

The last day of our adventure was another whiteout; with conditions so bad we couldn’t even make it on the ice. When we made a beer run that morning, there were a few brave Canucks fishing on the Red River, but we all vetoed the idea and decided to stay in instead. Luckily, we had caught some fish the day before, including some perch and northern pike. There were also a few moose steaks leftover, so we add those to the feast as well.

We’re short on reader shots, so hurry up and send you fish or wild game photos in to fswildchef@gmail.com.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Moose steaks for the win. Topped with mushrooms those look absolutely incredible.

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Fish and meat together, that's "surf and turf" for me!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

It may just be the time of year but I'm ready for fresh fish. My frozen perch, walleyes, and pike have been gone for months.

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

I've never had moose steaks before so I had to vote for what I've eaten in the past, so the fish wins.

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

I'm ready for some perch!!

from pcspecht wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I'm sorry......... What's to fight about?? Surf -n- Turf is the answer! Why have to decide between when ya don't have to?!?! Caribou is pretty good too!
As I am Alaskan we don't see much Perch and Pike are considered evil and bad. We do however have a wonderful selection of wield Salmon, Trout, Halibut, Shrimp, and King, Snow and Opheleeo Crab which could in a pinch be substituted for Perch or Pike I'm thinking. Now if someone wanted to trade for a slab of Fresh caught King or Silver salmon for some Perch we might be able to work out a deal. . . . . . Just thinking out loud.

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Fish and meat together, that's "surf and turf" for me!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

I'm ready for some perch!!

from pcspecht wrote 1 year 1 week ago