Louisiana Health Officials Destroy 1,600 lbs. of Hunter-Donated Venison

The Wild Chef

March 04, 2013

Louisiana Health Officials Destroy 1,600 lbs. of Hunter-Donated Venison

By David Draper

Helping the homeless and hungry through the donation of venison and other game meat is one of hunting’s greatest—and least reported—contributions to society. Hundreds of shelters and soup kitchens around the country rely on hunter-donated meat to feed those in need. So I was particularly appalled by this story coming out of Louisiana where state officials not only barred a local shelter from serving hunter-donated meat, but also destroyed 1,600 pounds of venison they found in the shelter’s pantry. If you or I would have poured bleach over perfectly good, hunter-harvested meat, we’d have ended up with a very expensive citation for wanton waste. In Louisiana, state officials are proud of their work in “saving” the homeless from what they deem as unhealthy meat, despite the fact that hundreds of thousands of pounds of venison are eaten without incident at shelters across the U.S. every year.

From The Daily Caller:
Louisiana officials are considering solutions after state health inspectors destroyed 1,600 lbs of deer meat donated by hunters to a local homeless shelter.

Rev. Henry Martin, executive director of the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission, which provides food and shelter for the homeless in Northwest Louisiana, told The Daily Caller that the organization had been serving deer meat donated by area hunters for decades and, to his knowledge, nothing like this had ever happened before.

“There was no need for this to happen — we’ve got hungry people who need meals. That very day, we have about 230 people on average in our system, and you multiply that by three meals a day, times 365 days a year, you’re going to get well over 200,000 meals,” he said, explaining that the charity needs as much food as it can get.

According to the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, the agency received a complaint that deer meat was being served at the mission. State regulations bar food establishments from serving hunted deer meat.

In late January, the department’s health inspectors investigated the facility, discovered the deer meat — which had been appropriately processed at an area slaughterhouse — and destroyed it in a dumpster by dousing it in bleach so that animals would not eat it.

What your thoughts? Should the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals be cited for wanton waste?

from MB915 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Problem with Politicians is you can’t fix stupid.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Shame on them.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

A bunch of political BS. Shame on the person who called in and complained about the meat being served. Guess that person would rather see the people go hungry

from Bellringer wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Common sense ain't too common.

from rfleer87 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

People need to use their brains to help each other out instead of fighting against each other.

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Honestly, I think the biggest idiot is the person who called to complain! I seriously doubt the homeless were complaining, probably some PETA nut who wanted to make a point. Hard to blame the official because if there's a complaint, and the reg reads as it sounds like it does, he's bound to it, even if it doesn't make sense and should be changed. Hopefully it will be after this.

from FSU70 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

This is typical of today's society. If this has been an established program for years as the article says it has, how does one complaint warrant the destruction of so much good meat ? You have some states passing new laws allowing for road kill to be harvested so that it does not go to waste. Then you have Louisiana that destroys meat that was properly processed by an establish program, that has been feeding the poor without incident. The immoral intellect has struck again. Lacking wisdom and common sense.

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I can't begin to say how much this angers and sickens me. I would expect this unconscionable behavior in my home state of New York, never in the Southland. Louisianans need to fight and punish this nasty bunch of bureaucrats who thought this up.

from jdwood wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I'm working in Louisiana right now, I couldn't believe it when one of LDWF's enforcement agents old me this. Whoever complained should be fined on top of the health department in Louisiana since venison is healthier meat than anything sold in our supermarkets. This situation is bulls4!? if you ask me

from Steward wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Generally speaking, Government promulgates waste. This is shameful. How dare politicians complain about the need to help the poor and downtrodden through higher taxes, when a government agency is doing something like this.

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Who do you think complained about the venison? The local bulk beef distributors. No one makes money from donated venison.

I have to laugh at the morons who complain about government programs. They're never really about entitlements for people in need, they're always about finding ways to pass money to businesses.

from hutter wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

So did the inspector write out checks for the hungry to eat on that day ?

from Joe Lake wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

well at least my home state of NY specifically allows venison to be donated, make me feel a little better after all the bad news we have had

from Ian in Miami wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

The person who complained, I'm guessing, is an anti-hunter who probably thinks the hungry should be fed by meat from the supermarket, where no animals get hurt. Yes, there are people that believe that.

from Scot Mahan-Miller wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

two things come to mind when reading this story ... (1) Do the regs state that the meat needs to be destroyed, or could the inspector just quarantined it until it could have been determined if it could be used, was the inspector happy about destroying the meat? (2) Do the regs need to be re-written to exclude shelters, I can see how the regs were made so that a restaurant would nto be allowed to serve wild game (COULD promote poaching).

from GERG wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Government intelligence. Oxymoron

from Shawn Smith wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

This is a travesty! All of that meat gone to waste! What an outrage. I know quite a few people in my area that would have put that much meat to good use.

from MB915 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Problem with Politicians is you can’t fix stupid.

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from Bellringer wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Common sense ain't too common.

from Steward wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Shame on them.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from FSU70 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

So did the inspector write out checks for the hungry to eat on that day ?

from Joe Lake wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago