Food Fight Friday: Venison Kabobs vs Elk Backstrap

The Wild Chef

June 14, 2013

Food Fight Friday: Venison Kabobs vs Elk Backstrap

By David Draper

While I’m betting most of the people who read this blog fire up their grill year round, summertime is when things really heat up over the coals (or propane). As proof, here are a couple of photos Wild Chef readers have sent my way.

JD Wood’s Venison Kabobs

“We were treated to a frozen plethora of venison recently, and I've been working on coming up with all sorts of different ways to cook it up. Here I took a pair of small roasts and chunked them up for kabobs. I marinated the meat for two days in A1 smoked hickory sauce. It left just enough flavor as not to take away from the venison. Complementing the venison were bell peppers, baby bella mushrooms, and tomatoes, along with a slice of grilled pineapple and, of course, a nice strong beverage—in this case a stout.”

Zach’s Elk Backstrap

Wild Chef reader Zach also sent in some tasty looking venison, though his comes in the elk variety with some backstrap, grilled rare, with a homemade oil, vinegar, seasoning marinade, which he also saved for drizzling over the meat on the plate. He matched the elk steaks up with some grilled asparagus and a fresh Caesar salad.

All this looks so good I’m definitely going to be firing up the grill tonight. You should, too, and snap a few pics of what’s cooking. Then send them in to fswildchef@gmail.com, and we’ll feature them here.

from Koldkut wrote 43 weeks 6 days ago

DANG! I'm giving it to the backstrap today, with an honorable mention for the stout accompanying the kabobs.

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 43 weeks 6 days ago

Backstrap for me, but most likely because it's elk. After a winter of venison, steelhead and ducks, a little bit of grilled rare elk sure would taste good right now. On the other hand, haven't done any kabobs yet this year, and they do look tasty. Really a toss up with the nudge going to the blood-red elk.

from SMC1986 wrote 43 weeks 5 days ago

Had to go with the kabobs. Nothing says summer like grilling up kabobs and drinking beer(well maybe blue crabs and beer).

from CamperGuy wrote 43 weeks 3 days ago

I will have to go with the Elk, just on preparation alone
if you are marinating the Venison for Two days in A1 must mean you don't really care for Venison. IMHO

from jdwood wrote 43 weeks 3 days ago

The marinating period was 2 days only because a late return from a hiking trip delayed my meal. If you eat a lot of venison its nice to mix flavors up a bit. I don't think I could ever had stood much chance against a delicious cut of backstrap, just wish I still had some laying around.

from Koldkut wrote 43 weeks 6 days ago