Describe Your Ideal Last Meal, Win the New 'Wild Chef' Cookbook

The Wild Chef

July 31, 2013

Describe Your Ideal Last Meal, Win the New 'Wild Chef' Cookbook

By Colin Kearns

I hope you’ve got a couple spare inches on your bookshelf, because this month our brand-new cookbook, "The Wild Chef," hits stores. Written by the magazine’s food columnist, Jonathan Miles, the book includes more than 100 killer recipes for fish and wild game. You’ll also find essays, butchering and filleting manuals, drink pairing tips, and cooking skills from F&S contributors like David Draper, Dave Hurteau, T. Edward Nickens, and others. And, yes, there’s even dessert.

You can order your copy of the book here, but since this is the Wild Chef blog, I wanted to give you, our loyal readers, a chance to win a free copy. Here’s how:

I’ve read that a common question chefs ask one another after shifts and over beers is, “You have one last day to live: What would your last meal be?” Then they describe, course by course, their ideal and ultimate meal. Now, for the sake of this contest, I’d like to ask you the same question…but with a Field & Stream twist:

What would your last wild meal be?

In the comments section below, describe your perfect farewell meal. But first, a couple of rules:

1) It needs to be three courses: starter, entrée, and dessert.
2) The starter and entrée must feature either fish and/or wild game.

Beyond that, the meal may be whatever you want—any ingredient and any cut or fillet cooked any way you want alongside any beer, wine, or whatever of your choice. And don’t forget to share important details, such as where you’d eat and the people you’d want to join you. After all, a good meal isn’t just about the food.

Draper and I will choose three winners who will each receive a copy of "The Wild Chef." Deadline for entries is Thursday, Aug. 8 (5 p.m. EST). Best of luck.

from Hunter00015 wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: Walleye fillet, butter, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions all wrapped in tinfoil and cooked in the oven until if falls apart at the touch; then topped with lemon juice.

Entree: Venison backstraps rubbed in olive oil and seasonings and grillled to perfection, with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy.

Dessert: Strawberry cheesecake.

from Hunter00015 wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

And the meal would be with my wife on a porch up in Alaska.

from smccardell wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Being a man from Maryland I would have to keep it local.

Beverage of choice: Six pack of Natty Boh (hon!)

Starter: Maryland Oysters on the half shell with lemon and cocktail sauce. About a dozen would do just fine. Bowl of Maryland crab soup, with lots of backfin and some whole claws thrown in.

Entree: Surf and Turf. Venison backstrap, medium rare, with a filet of striped bass topped with maryland crab imperial (seasoned with Old Bay of course!). A side of grilled asparagus and some rice.

Dessert: Blackberry cobbler with vanilla icecream (using locally grown blackberries and some farm fresh milk!)

from FOX wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

My last meal my friend venison pepper stir fry,with his venison pot roast, my mothers baked chicken, my fathers buttery mashed potatoes, that delicious pig roast I only get once a year, sweet corn fresh from the field and probably most important all of the friend and family to share the meal with because what makes a meal special is not so much the meal but the company you share.

from MR AWESOME wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: A mixture of perch, bluegill, and crappie fillets that have marinated in buttermilk for 1 hour then covered in flour and fried in butter, olive oil and lemon. With some freshly picked carrots, carrot tops and green beans fried up in the same mixture.

Entree: Venison steak done medium rare wrapped in bacon served with freshly picked corn from the garden with butter on the corn of course.

Dessert:My grandmas apple pie with fresh picked apples and a scoop of philly vanilla ice cream on top.

All with close familly and a cowboys football game in the backround.(Of course the cowboys have to be winning for it to be perfect.)

from aferraro wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter

Maryland crab & sweet corn cakes with brown butter with a cold Grgich Hills Fume Blanc.

Main

Venison Wellington with wild mushrooms and a summer vegetable mix with a Henri Jayer Cote de Nuits, Burgundy. (never had one but since it's a last meal).

Dessert

Longacre's Butter Brickle iced cream.

from Ron Chamblee wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

MY LAST MEAL WOULD BE OYSTERS ROCKAFELLER , BAKED POTATOE ,GARLIC BREAD ! RONCHAMBLEE50@YAHOO.COM

from MattM37 wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: Creamy ramp-and-morel soup made with woodcock stock.

Entrée, another kind of surf and turf: Whole roasted ruffed grouse, skin on, coated with olive oil and seasoned with nothing but salt and fresh-ground pepper; and wild brook trout fried quickly in bacon fat, again no seasoning beyond salt and pepper. Fresh trout lily leaves and spring beauty bulbs for sides, both steamed, for sides.

Dessert: Black raspberry cobbler with homemade whipped cream.

Beverages: I don't know anything about wine; I was a farm-boy and still drink milk with everything, so I probably would at my last meal, too. Black coffee with the dessert.

from TheStudMuffin wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: wild squirrel that I shot with friends and family on a memorable hunt

Entree: walleye and lake perch caught while teaching a youngster and venison tenderloin from a trophy buck, with freshly picked wild asparagus and home grown mashed potatoes with gravy.

Desert: s'mores around a campfire with loved ones around

Doesn't get any better, it's not all about the food but the memories that it generates and the people that you are with.

from MaxPower wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

The answer to this question should roll right off your tongue, link answering what your dream hunt would be. My last meal would be with my dad, brothers and a few other close relatives at elk camp in the Bridger-Tetons. Everything seems to taste better after a long day of hunting, but this meal beats anything, anytime. Part of the experience is sharing the days hunting stories in the smoke-filled cook tent with everyone else.

The starter would have to be fresh elk heart, cut nice and thin then coated lightly with flour before frying.

Entree would have to be grilled elk backstrap, wrapped in bacon and of course with some sauteed mushrooms on the side. Pair that up with some dutch-oven potatoes, grilled corn-on-the-cob and maybe some bonneville cutts (caught by the guys lucky enough to tag their elk on the first day) and I'm in heaven. Strange as it may sound, Tang is a staple in camp. I never drink it any other time of the year, but it's in camp and always seems to go well with whatever we're eating.

If I have the willpower to save room for dessert, it'd be a bowl of piping hot, dutch-oven peach cobbler with a little cream to help cool it down.

You guys get me writing stuff like this, then I realize I'm still two months away from being in camp and until then I have to settle for my wife's cooking.

from dyobcire wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Well, I suppose it should be obvious, but if I were living my last day on this earth, I'd want to spend it hunting and fishing. Lets put this last day and meal on the 3rd weekend in October. A week after the deer opener in my State, and the weekend that upland birds open. I'd spend that day on my favorite cast-n-blast with a close friend, chasing upland birds and fishing for steelhead in SE Washington. That night, at camp, it'd be time to get started on my ideal meal.

For the starter I'd keep it simple with a grilled quail from the hunt - just rub on a bit of oil, sprinkle with salt and some herbs, top with a small piece of bacon, and grill away.

For the entree it would absolutely have to be deer tenderloin, ideally from a deer harvested the prior weekend. Now, as it'd be my last meal I could justify getting a bit fancy. Season it up with salt and pepper, quickly seared to rare on each side in a cast iron pan with some oil, and put aside to rest. In the cast iron, whip up a morel cream sauce to go with the deer. Toss the sauce over the tenderloin, add some grilled asparagus on the side, and dig right in,

I'm less picky on the dessert, but since I'm camping, I think I'd have to go with a dutch oven cobbler. Nothing beats those. In keeping with the wild theme, lets make it huckleberry.

Sorry that was so long! In summary. Grilled quail starter, deer tenderloin with morel cream sauce and grilled asparagus for the entree, and dutch oven huckleberry cobbler for dessert.
As a bonus I'd include smoked salmon or deer jerky for snacking during the day!

from Nathan Ryver wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: Conch Fritters
Entree: dove/deer grilled pizza with a slice of venison back strap wrapped. In bacon, fresh corn on the cob, fresh tomatoes with sea salt
Dessert: wild blackberry cobbler a la mode.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 37 weeks 5 days ago

Starter: To start things off I would do a bowl of my whitefish chowder served with a garnish of good smoked bacon and a few morels breaded with flour and fried in the bacon reserve.

Entrée: Half of a venison back strap stuffed with crab and scallops. Served with a side of lightly grilled asparagus sprinkled with a bit of sea salt and of one of mom’s loaded twice baked potatoes.

Dessert: Nothing else but a heaping bowl of Grandma’s bread pudding would be able to finish the meal off for me.

And of course, the meal wouldn’t be right if it wasn’t shared with family and good friends.

from Scott Gill wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

For my last meal... An autumn day dinner as the sun goes down on Reelfoot Lake in northern Tennessee. We owned a cabin on the shoreline just a few miles from a fishing community and I spent every weekend of my childhood and teen years fishing and duck hunting among the cypress trees. I would want my beautiful wife and four kids there so they could take in the place that still permeates my imagination. Fox squirrels would frolick in the branches above us, running for cover as a bald eagle lands on a nearby branch (they migrate there every year). A bass would splash in the cove to fill his belly with evening bugs.

For starters... Duck and sausage gumbo, piping hot, served with a homemade cheddar biscuit (like the ones served at Red Lobster). Years ago I sampled this take on the cajun favorite at a restaurant on Mud Island in Memphis, Tennessee, and I've never forgotten it.

Then the entree... A plate covering American Bison prime rib (medium) from Alaska with mashed potatos, smothered in cream gravy (bring on the biscuits again, it is a final meal...) and southern fried okra.

Finally, the dessert... Southern-style blackberry cobbler made from berries picked fresh from the bush and topped with home-churned french vanilla ice cream.

I'd wash all this down with a frosty pint of Guinness Draught (make it a couple).

from Carl Huber wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

A Rob Roy while I wait for my table or the Warden to take my order.

Clams Casino to start.

Prime Rib Yorkshire Pudding, Asparagus. The wine Chateau Neuf du Pape.

For dessert my Mom's Linzer Torte, Coffee.

from Carl Huber wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

PS; Just shows to go ya. I missed the F&S Twist that had to be included with my answer. So I still want the Prime Rib I just shot him by mistake while Deer Hunting. That's why the Warden is taking my order.

from TayHawk wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

Starter: Dove breast half of them wrapped in bacon filled with jalapenos and cream cheese the other half prepared by the 'Doves from hell' recipe I have on my bucket list.

Entree: Pull wild hog shoulder sandwiches with pickles and coleslaw, a little slaw for the sandwich and little for the side. Baked beans and red potato salad next to the slaw. For sauces I want an authentic Carolina mustard sauce (made by a true Carolinian), Alabama white sauce, and some plain ol' brown BBQ sauce for the less daring.

Dessert: Blackberry cobbler topped with some Muscadine Ripple ice cream.

Setting: The Junction at Mississippi State University with all of my family and friends, right before State beats the heck out of the Ole Miss Black Bears. Oh yeah the Muscadine Ripple is bought from the MSU cheese store. As for drinks, well we'll just drink whatever us college kids are drinking these day.

from FishnFast wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

I hope that if I know it's my last meal, make it a simple one and give a hungry child what would have been mine.I won't be needing it.

from shorter999 wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

Starter - Bluegill MeatloafBluegill (qt bag) 1 tbs olive oil 1 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper 1 egg 1 TBS lemon juice 1/4 tsp seasoned salt 1 tbs mayonnaise 1/4 cup  breadcrumbs 2 tbs fresh parsley chopped  1/2 cup White onion minced Cook bluegill over medium heat and add olive oil, salt, pepper. Cook until fish turns white and flaky. Use a spatula to chop fish as it cooks into small pieces. Remove from heat and set aside, drain all liquid.  Preheat oven to 425ºF. Mix everything together and spoon into muffin pan bake 10 to 15 minutes. These are awesome i call them hillbilly crabcakes.Entree - Venison Steak with Blue Cheese Sauce2 venison steaks       1 tsp Salt1 tsp Pepper 1 tbs E.V. Olive oil Fresh herbs (I use homeadeSofrito)1/2 clove fresh Garlic      8 oz blue cheese crumbles 2 tbs butter 1 tsp cayenne pepper     2 tbs milk or cream Salt  Pepper 1 tsp flour  1 zucchini sliced       Grill steaks to medium rare and zucchini with a crispy outer layer.In a skillet add in butter and flour. Reduce heat to medium low. Continually stir the flour and butter mixture until it is light brown in color. Slowly add in milk or cream and blue cheese. Continue to stir until most blue cheese has melted.  Add in cayenne pepper and salt/pepper. Served warm over the venison steak.Dessert -  Mulberry Pie3 cups mulberries2\3 cups white sugar3/4 cup all-purpose flour1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (has to be homeade with it being my last day and all)2 tablespoons butter1 tablespoon milk            A dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspiceMix everything together and bake @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes.Drink would be a Black and Tan and a glass of ice cold water that is so cold its just a little frozen on top. The setting would be at sunset on the farm that my dad and i have hunted and fished since I was a boy. The people...basicly my immediate family. Dad, Mom, Wife, son and daughter.  The most important thing would be the setting because we have all shared so many great memories there over the years...and heck thats where all the ingredients for this great meal came from so if it wasnt for this beautiful land we would be going hungry on my last day. Sorry so long I just figured if I was gonna call it out might as well give all the details I how I was going to make everything.

from youngfisherman wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

Elk backstrap barely grilled on each side, smothered in morrels pan fried in butter over top wild rice pilaf and a slice of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert.

from santa wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

If it were to be my last meal during this life, I would merely want a simple meal like the one in John 21:9 of fish and bread cooked by Jesus Christ the Lord himself. Luke 24:42 says that the fish was broiled and served with a piece of honeycomb. I just can not think of any greater meal ever that could top it.

from Chuck_in_mo wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

For starter: scampi style thin cut wild trout filets with large homemade crutons (for soaking up the butter). For entree: pineapple and siracha marinated venison backstrap kabobs with fresh garden veggies (pearl onions, red bell peppers, and zucchini). Sides would be fried morel mushrooms and hand smashed potatoes with cheddar,bacon, and topped with a dollop of sour cream. Plus a homemade biscuit with muscadine jam. Dessert: Goat cheese cheesecake with frangelico sauce. All that finished with a high ball of pappy van winkle with one large ice cube.

from diegfris wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

First course would be home made fettucine with a proscutto, peas and mushroom alfredo sauce, followed by seared and hi temp baked venison backstrap cut into medalions. Top them with a sauce made with chicken broth, mashed blueberries, balsamic vinegar, honey and butter. For dessert a medley of fresh fruit grilled and topped with a carmel sauce.[I have recipes for all these]. This a meal greatly enjoyed with family and hunting friends. Beverages vary by guest choice, i.e. beer, wine, tea, etc.

from diegfris wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

p.s. also include a tossed salad and baked sweet potatoes, cut length wise in sixths, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic, and rosemary, s&p and broiled 1 min.

from airbornedoc wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Having spent a majority of my childhood in Florida, my last meal would have to be a regional one. We would eat on a wooden deck, overlooking the water and under a large tiki-type roof in the Florida Keys. My wife is the only other person I'd want at the table.

Appetizer: A conch ceviche prepared traditionally and add just a hint of grated or shaved coconut. Thin slices of a Florida orange and grapefruit garnish the plate. Drink pairing--A not so sweet Pinot Grigio.

Main Course: Spiny lobster tails, pre-seasoned with lemon juice, a pinch of salt and some dill then broiled to perfection. Serve with drawn butter, flavored with a just a hint of fresh minced garlic. On the side, several spears of asparagus flash sauteed in mildly salted butter. Note, there is no starch in this meal because it would take up stomach space reserved for lobster. Drink pairing--Recharge my glass with Pinot Grigio.

Dessert: Key lime pie on a homemade graham cracker crust. (See recipe on the label of a bottle of 'Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice'). Garnished of course with thinly sliced Key Lime Wedge and topped with freshly made whipped cream. Drink pairing--no time for more drinking, i need to say goodbye to my wife!

from OMuilleoir wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

For the final meal, it would be in the cabin overlooking the Gros Ventre Wilderness in Wyoming as the first snow is falling. My wife would be there, as would mom and dad, brother, and my two sisters. Lolita, the pointing lab, could watch but not partake.

Starters: grilled, bacon-wrapped mallard breasts (freshly harvested of course) with turtle soup. Complimented with brandy/whiskey olde-fashion cocktails.

Main event: smoked rainbow trout (caught on a royal wulff), dill sauce, and capers on a bed of mushroom risotto with grilled asparagus, and twice baked potato. Complimented with Snake River Lager.

Dessert: warmed cherry pie (wife's recipe) with a heaping scoop of vanilla. Complimented with a Stinger cocktail (white creme de menthe & brandy)

What a way to ride off into the sunset!

from themadflyfisher wrote 37 weeks 2 days ago

Given that I could have it all at hand.

Starter- Halibut & Scallop ceviche salad.
(Halibut and scallops prepped in lime juice then tossed with diced tomatoes, scallions, red and yellow bell pepper, fresh cilantro, and olive oil)

Entree- Venison Au Poivre with chorizo hash.
(backstrap medalions peppered and seared in a cilantro infused olive oil and deglazed with brandy)(chorizo sausage browned with carmalized shallots, red bell pepper, and chopped fingerling potatoes deglazed in a pancetta stock)

Dessert- Fresh made "Guinness" ice cream.

from byronious3 wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

I would like to have this meal lakeside in the Adirondacks with my closest family and friends.

Starter - Fried lobster mac and cheese balls and grilled catfish bites with a homemade warm spicy mustard

Entree - Trout Cordon Bleu served with grilled corn and a side of venison chili with warm cornbread

Drinks - Various IPA's and a coffee with dessert

Dessert - Hot Brownie Sundae with melted peanut butter and cherries on top

Then you can roll me away...

from coffeecupmike wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

For a starter Grilled quail on top of a rhubarb and strawberry compote
the main would simply be pan fried trout fresh out of the river with a bit of salt and pepper.

For dessert the coffee and donuts from the French Laundry.

To drink a 1976 Chateau Montelena chardonay

from Gungnir wrote 37 weeks 12 hours ago

My wife and I have this conversation all the time. With my allergy to hooved animals, I told her to just bring all the wild critters into my room with a lighter. Keep it as natural as possible. lol

Being from the Potomac River area I'm gonna stick with a little MD/VA cuisine so my last meal would go something like this:

Appetizer: My mom's crab soup with fresh baked bread. An ale from our local brewery.

1st Entree: Sika deer backstrap medallions wrapped in bacon from a wild hog, seasoned with a little salt and pepper and slow grilled over a nice bed of coals. This will be paired with Snakehead filets topped with a creamy sauce on a bed of wild rice and asparagus on the side. A nice riesling from the local vineyard.

2nd Entree: Again mom's recipe - southern md stuffed ham using a wild hog. Mashed potatos and sweet corn. Another hearty ale to go with.

Desert: Cheesecake with wild blackberries.

Setting: On the river with all my friends and family.... then just toss me in it ;-)

from VAHunter540 wrote 36 weeks 5 days ago

Setting the scene. Opening weekend of Rifle season in VA, 6inches of snow on the ground, hot fire blazing in the wood stove, front door to camp left open as all gather on front porch. Warmth from the fire pouring out the door and over my back as I look out off the porch and inhale sharply the cold fresh air that is so cold it burns a little as it goes down. All the old-timers are there in camp again, the same men, along with my dad, who taught me how to hunt, fish, play cards and be good to my woman. Laughter, pipe smoke and good bourbon flow from inside, mingle on the porch and drift off into the pines on the mountain.
The food. On the table inside the appetizers have already been laid out. A few smoked trout with saltines, bags of homemade jerky, peanuts, Vienna sausages and a homemade Chex-mix and of course some Old Milwaukee’s Best and a handle of good bourbon.
On the grill out front and the stove/oven inside the main course is finishing up. A creamy morel mushroom, leek and venison chowder that has been simmering all day along with some lightly fried venison tenderloin with lots of fresh biscuits and some sweet baby rays bbq sauce.
As the last of the tenderloin comes out of the pan the huge dish of peach & apple cobbler (yes mixed) that one of the guys wife makes goes into the oven. Right about the time we finish eating the cobbler will be coming out and inevitably somebody will burn their tongue. As dessert is being finished, all the guys will get the dishes done and the main table cleared (except for the bourbon, beer and the peanuts and Chex-mix) because it’s time to play poker and tell stories.

from dyobcire wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

As a bonus I'd include smoked salmon or deer jerky for snacking during the day!

from Carl Huber wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

from smccardell wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Being a man from Maryland I would have to keep it local.

Beverage of choice: Six pack of Natty Boh (hon!)

from Hunter00015 wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Dessert: Strawberry cheesecake.

from Scott Gill wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

from MaxPower wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

from diegfris wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

from diegfris wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

from aferraro wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter

Main

Dessert

Longacre's Butter Brickle iced cream.

from VAHunter540 wrote 36 weeks 5 days ago

from santa wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

from youngfisherman wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 37 weeks 5 days ago

from TayHawk wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

Dessert: Blackberry cobbler topped with some Muscadine Ripple ice cream.

from airbornedoc wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

from Carl Huber wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

A Rob Roy while I wait for my table or the Warden to take my order.

Clams Casino to start.

Prime Rib Yorkshire Pudding, Asparagus. The wine Chateau Neuf du Pape.

For dessert my Mom's Linzer Torte, Coffee.

from themadflyfisher wrote 37 weeks 2 days ago

Given that I could have it all at hand.

Starter- Halibut & Scallop ceviche salad.

Entree- Venison Au Poivre with chorizo hash.

Dessert- Fresh made "Guinness" ice cream.

from MR AWESOME wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

from FishnFast wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

from FOX wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

from Nathan Ryver wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: Conch Fritters
Dessert: wild blackberry cobbler a la mode.

from Gungnir wrote 37 weeks 12 hours ago

Desert: Cheesecake with wild blackberries.

from TheStudMuffin wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: wild squirrel that I shot with friends and family on a memorable hunt

Desert: s'mores around a campfire with loved ones around

from MattM37 wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Starter: Creamy ramp-and-morel soup made with woodcock stock.

Dessert: Black raspberry cobbler with homemade whipped cream.

from Hunter00015 wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

And the meal would be with my wife on a porch up in Alaska.

from OMuilleoir wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

What a way to ride off into the sunset!

from coffeecupmike wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

For a starter Grilled quail on top of a rhubarb and strawberry compote

For dessert the coffee and donuts from the French Laundry.

To drink a 1976 Chateau Montelena chardonay

from Ron Chamblee wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

from shorter999 wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago

from Chuck_in_mo wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

from byronious3 wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Drinks - Various IPA's and a coffee with dessert

Dessert - Hot Brownie Sundae with melted peanut butter and cherries on top

Then you can roll me away...