Three Great Recipes for Teal

The Wild Chef

September 09, 2013

Three Great Recipes for Teal

By David Draper

Teal season is in full swing across much of the U.S., and hunters in several areas got the added bonus of an extra bird or two in the daily bag limit. Hopefully, if your early-season shooting is on, that means plenty of teal for the grill. If you’re lucky enough to limit out, here are three great teal recipes to try this month.

Teal Egg Rolls

Pan-Seared Teal with Apricot Demi Jus

Stuffed Teal Breasts

Ingredients
- 4 teal breasts, filleted from the bone
- 1 cup mascarpone, or softened cream cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper

Directions
1. Using a small, sharp knife, slice a pocket in the side of each teal breast, being careful not to cut all the way through the meat. Liberally season both side of the meat with salt and pepper.

2. Whip together the mascarpone, minced garlic, diced jalapenos, and cilantro.

3. Stuff each breast with a spoonful of the cheese-and-herb mixture. Use a toothpick to seal the pocket closed as best you can.

4. Grill teal breast over a hot fire until just cooked medium-rare.

from hermit crab wrote 32 weeks 3 days ago

I love teal! One of my favorite game animals to both hunt and eat!

Also, as an FYI - the bird in the picture is a common teal (Eurasian species). It's different from the green-winged teal that we're all used to. They're pretty rare in the US, but I'd LOVE to have one come into my spread one morning and wind up on my wall!

from ITHACASXS wrote 32 weeks 3 days ago

I also love to shoot and eat teal. They are not unlike wood ducks in taste and those are the only ducks my kids like. I just pan sear them in either bacon fat or olive oil after splitting them in half. We don't have a early teal season here in NY, but there always seem to be a few still hanging around in late october. I never pass up teal to wait for a bigger bird.

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 32 weeks 3 days ago

One of my favorites is to stuff empanadas with green-winged teal. Hope I shoot a lot of teal so I can enjoy the treat all through the holidays and football season.

from hermit crab wrote 32 weeks 3 days ago

I love teal! One of my favorite game animals to both hunt and eat!

from ITHACASXS wrote 32 weeks 3 days ago