Food Fight Friday: Venison Bratwurst vs Venison Chili

The Wild Chef

October 18, 2013

Food Fight Friday: Venison Bratwurst vs Venison Chili

By David Draper

I don’t know what’s it like where you live, but it’s finally starting to feel like fall around here. The frosty mornings and shorter days call for comfort food—like this week’s Food Fight entries. It doesn’t get more comfortable than a hot bowl of chili, submitted by SMC1986. If your fall calls for tailgate parties, take a look at frequent Food Fighter Levi Banks’s unique take on venison bratwurst. Pretty sure I’ll be voting twice this week.

Levi Banks’s Smoked Bratwurst

I made some smoked bratwurst from deer and since they were basically cooked when they went into freezer bags I figured they only needed to be warmed up a bit. I had some bread dough so I thought about pigs in a blanket. I rolled them up in squares of the dough with a few slices of onion and baked them in the oven until they looked done.

SMC1986’s Chili

With all the rain last week here in the northeast I whipped up a pot of venison chili.  I haven't set foot in a treestand yet this year because the fishing is still good, but with the colder weather, I'm starting to get the itch. This was made with a cubed roast from one of my deer last season. I added pinto and red kidney beans and some special seasonings, then three hours in the Dutch oven simmering. Perfect meal for a cold rainy day.

If you’re cooking up some comfort food or finding new ways to use up fall’s bounty of fish and game, snap a photo and email it and a short description to fswildchef@gmail.com.

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

Chili! Got me thinking of all the bowls of Field & Stream's Ultimate Deer Camp Chili I will be eating this Fall. Then there is my wife's sweet Easy Venison and Beans Chili. Bring on those cold days duck hunting!

from Kris24 wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

That chili looks really, really good! Yummmm!!!

from themadflyfisher wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

I voted the brats just because they are different and look good. Although For a good hunting meal a hot bowl of chili and some buttered bread is almost impossible to beat.

from TeamAsgrow wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

That was a tough choice, but I went Brat. That is a creative way to prepare them. I might be whipping up a batch of chili this weekend if I tag a deer. I did just get a package full of sausage making supplies so there will be some sort made soon as well! I love eating deer.

from TeamAsgrow wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from MaxPower wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

We got four inches of snow last night here in WY, that chili would really hit the spot right about now.

from mike55 wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Brats! I'm from Wisconsin, what'ya expect! The chili looks pretty tasty though. Think I'll have to make up a batch, now that it's finally cooling off. We eat a fair amount of chili up here. The difference between chili and brats is you can go out and buy good brats, but you almost have to make your own chili if you want some good stuff.(speaking mainly of the canned varieties, I'm sure there are restaurants that have good chili, I don't eat out anymore because of celiac disease, can't take a chance on trace amounts of gluten). I don't know anybody that makes their own brats, so hats off to you if you do, especially using wild game. Some of the meat markets around here that process deer will make up venison brats from your meat if you so desire. Don't know if that's common across the country or not?

from wittsec wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

I have seen many unique and tasty ways to prepare venison but it is hard to beat a classic...voted chili

from country road wrote 25 weeks 2 days ago

I can't wait to get to deer camp with my buddies to whip up a pot of venison chili (or ten). My family doesn't like chili and I don't want to make it for those who don't appreciate it.

from Tyler Tidswell wrote 25 weeks 2 days ago

Always need to pick chili

from Tyler Tidswell wrote 25 weeks 2 days ago

Always need to pick chili

from M.A.T wrote 25 weeks 12 hours ago

Went with the Chili. I like every type of sausage except Bratwurst.

from Kris24 wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

That chili looks really, really good! Yummmm!!!

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

from TeamAsgrow wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from TeamAsgrow wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from MaxPower wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from mike55 wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from wittsec wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from country road wrote 25 weeks 2 days ago

from Tyler Tidswell wrote 25 weeks 2 days ago

Always need to pick chili

from Tyler Tidswell wrote 25 weeks 2 days ago

Always need to pick chili

from M.A.T wrote 25 weeks 12 hours ago

Went with the Chili. I like every type of sausage except Bratwurst.