Food Fight: Whitetail vs. Antelope Backstrap

The Wild Chef

December 30, 2013

Food Fight: Whitetail vs. Antelope Backstrap

By David Draper

After being on a binge-eating spree for the last couple of days, heck, the last few weeks, the last thing I want to think about today is food. Unless it's backstrap. There's always room for backstrap.

Raymond Needle's Backstrap

Here's a little something I made myself for Veteran's day. Being a purple recipient and U.S. Marine, I like to have a nice meal on that special day. Backstraps from a doe I harvested in the early muzzleloader season in the northern part of New York. Baked potato and a salad. Nothing fancy. Simple. I dreamed of this meal several times during my two Iraq tours. Man was it good.

Maxpower's Antelope Backstrap

I don't dare defile a backstrap, so I usually won't get too creative. Here I dusted it lightly with flour, salt and pepper, then cooked it over high heat in butter. I topped it off with sautéed mushrooms and onions. When paired up with hobo potatoes and some corn on the cob like this, it was 'last meal' worthy.

Did you cook up a holiday meal using fish or wild game? Got photos? If so, shoot a pic, along with a short description, over to fswildchef@gmail.com.

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 15 weeks 1 day ago

Raymond, you got me with your story and the medium rare venison. Dave, you finished me off with the mushrooms and caramelized onion topping on that antelope. Good eats!

from ctrupp wrote 15 weeks 11 hours ago

The combination of the onions and mushrooms cooked in butter. With the potatoes and corn are real tough to beat

from ctrupp wrote 15 weeks 11 hours ago

from wittsec wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

I don't know who to pick, there was no bacon in either recipe.

from Nimkee Joe Ireland wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago

When I was little my Dad killed a Antelope with a hammer we was living on the flag ranch in wyoming .It was Antelope seasons we was out working on the fences when we seen a Antelope that had been shot it's one back leg was just about of from the knee . We hurled back to close to camp my day told us like to run up to the came and get the cook to come out and shoot it we was about a mile away from the camp at that time so us kids take off running for the camp we got my be half way when I looked back at my dad and My Mom and I seen my Dad running after that Antelope and when he got up to it he het it in the head one time and it went down . By the time us kids got back to them he had it quartered up so we all had carry a piece back to camp.when it was cooked it was just like white tall dear to me .So to me I would have to say booth would just as good but I have to say I love the The combination of the onions and mushrooms cooked in butter With the potatoes and corn ... Take care good cooking.. Nimkee

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 15 weeks 1 day ago

from ctrupp wrote 15 weeks 11 hours ago

from ctrupp wrote 15 weeks 11 hours ago

from wittsec wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

I don't know who to pick, there was no bacon in either recipe.

from Nimkee Joe Ireland wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago