Food Fight Friday: Blacktail Roast vs. Antelope Neck

The Wild Chef

December 13, 2013

Food Fight Friday: Blacktail Roast vs. Antelope Neck

By David Draper

For hunters, there are three classic dishes that make up the canon of cold-weather comfort foods: chili, stew, and venison roast. That third hearty meal is what we're serving on this week's Food Fight Friday. Reader Neil Selbicky submitted a photo and recipe of a stuffed blacktail roast that looked so good it inspired me last Sunday. As good as my stuffed venison neck tasted, I'll go ahead and concede defeat now. Because bacon.

Neil Selbicky's Stuffed Blacktail Roast

I just got through stuffing a wild turkey, so now it's time to stuff a roast of blacktail buck. Take a top or bottom round roast and fillet it out to about one inch thick. Fry up some bacon and save the grease. Cook, while stirring, chopped onion, celery, and carrot in the bacon grease. Slowly add breadcrumbs, parsley (dried or fresh), the bacon crumbles, and ground pepper. Cook an addition 3 to 4 minutes and remove from heat. Spread stuffing mixture evenly over filleted roast and roll up—jelly-roll style. Tighten the rolled roast up with butcher's twine, cover with fresh bacon slices, and place in a roasting pan. Cook at 375 degrees until desired doneness. If this doesn't win me some favor with Wild Chef readers, then I'm done. Can't go wrong with bacon!

David's Stuffed Antelope Neck

My roast comes in the form of an antelope neck. The process is much the same as Selbicky's, though I went with celery, onion, garlic, and chopped cremini mushrooms. I also spread a layer of stone-ground mustard on the filleted neck before adding the stuffing mix and rolling the whole thing into a tight bundle. I browned the rolled roast in bacon fat, then added a few inches of venison stock, covered the Dutch oven, and braised the roast for about three hours. The drippings were used to make a mushroom gravy that went over the mashed potatoes.

If you've been cooking up some comfort food or any fish or game dish, snap a pic and send it to fswildchef@gmail.com. We'd love to feature it here.

from wittsec wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

As much as my favorite dish is bacon stuffed with bacon and wrapped in more bacon with a sprig of parslet on top, I'm gonna have to give the edge on this one to the antelope neck. Sounds amazing.

from smccardell wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

I think they both sound excellent. But I have to give the nod, ever so slightly, to Neil. Sorry David your's looks just a little dry...oh yeah and as you stated... BACON!

from smccardell wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

from Northeastsportsman wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

I voted for the Blacktail Roast because it is covered in bacon, and bacon makes everything better.

from Neil J. Selbicky wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks David, for not smothering that delicious looking antelope dish with bacon. Mushrooms, mushrooms...man I should have thought of that too!

from wittsec wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago