Food Fight Super Bowl Edition: Smoked Goose vs. Squirrel Nachos

The Wild Chef

January 31, 2014

Food Fight Super Bowl Edition: Smoked Goose vs. Squirrel Nachos

By David Draper

The Big Game is the perfect time to break out some, well, big game. Of course small game, such as squirrels, or birds or fresh-caught fish are worthy additions to your Sunday spread as well. If you still need a little inspiration for your Super Bowl party, I offer up a couple of suggestions via this week's Food Fight.

SMC1986's Smoked Goose
Here is some smoked Canada goose breast that was coated in my favorite jerk dry rub. I smoked it over apple chips until the internal temp was 155 degrees, then pulled them and put them in the fridge. Tonight I sliced them thin and put them on rolls with just a touch of BBQ sauce. Can't beat it. You can see a whole smoked breast with the rub, the slices then finally the final product, the sandwich.

Jane Jeffries' Squirrel Nachos
I've hunted with Twin Chimneys Outfitters twice—once for turkey and once for deer—and both times Jane Jeffries made up a couple of big trays of squirrel nachos. During the first hunt, I got back from my hunt late and missed out, so I made sure to get in on the goods the second time around and I'll tell you, they were as good as advertised. I wish I could share the recipe, but Jane is pretty tight-lipped about it, despite my constant prodding.

If you're whipping up some wild game snacks for the game this weekend, snap a photo and send it in to fswildchef@gmail.com.

from MaxPower wrote 11 weeks 2 days ago

Wow, goose for the win. That looks amazing.

I'll be doing chips and homemade salsa (David's recently posted recipe) for the Super Bowl and suddenly feel like a real slacker.

from wittsec wrote 11 weeks 1 day ago

Going with the squirrel nachos for two reasons. First, there just isn't a lot of squirrel entries here. Second, super bowl, nachos...they just go together.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 11 weeks 18 hours ago

I don't have to tell you where my vote goes! I have never eaten squirrel in my life. Wait, I forgot ... once tried pine squirrel in a semi-survival situation. Discovered that mountain squirrels taste like turpentine! I survived it ... but barely.

I heartily recommend cutting each goose half breast into four strips lengthways and then marinating before BBQ or smoker. I think you'll find it less "bloody." More appealing and flavorful too. One of the problems with goose meat is its density. On the BBQ by the time a half breast is cooked through the outside is usually charred. Definitely the case when trying to BBQ or smoke one this time of year! And of course one should always skin the meat first. Most of the goose grease is in the skin. It will make a flaming mess of BBQ or smoker. And messes up my taste buds too.

from ozarkghost wrote 10 weeks 4 days ago

As a member of Squirrels Unlimited and avid squirrel hunter, I am pleased to see you and other chefs feature squirrel in dishes more frequently. Squirrel is much maligned but done right is very delicious. BTW the World Championship Squirrel Cook Off will be on 13 September this year and well worth checking out.

OH sorry to hear of your experience with squirrel. Unfortunately if they feed on pine nuts they do have a pine flavor to them.

from ozarkghost wrote 10 weeks 4 days ago

from MaxPower wrote 11 weeks 2 days ago

Wow, goose for the win. That looks amazing.

from wittsec wrote 11 weeks 1 day ago