Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

The Firing Line

1911s for CC, home defense

Uploaded on December 30, 2010

Thinking about a 1911 style .45 ACP. I don't want cheapest but do want economical. No race guns, fancy customizing, just a basic weapon. I've read a bit about the Taurus and Rock Island. Any input, opinions, or info to share on these or other comparable makes/models? All info appreciated, thanks.

Top Rated
All Replies
from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I've seen and shot the RI Armory. It's a really nice piece!!! The Taurus I have no idea about!!!
From past experience, the Taurus is probably a pretty nice arm but isn't comparable to the RI! (haven't touched a Taurus in years!)

Bubba

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from captaind77 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I've only had experience with Taurus wheelguns, but I've never really liked them. They just feel... Cheap. And not in the good way. Overall fit and finish just seemed subpar to me.

I've got a Kimber Pro Cary II, which is an amazing pistol. It's got a 4-inch barrel. That, along with the slim profile of a 1911, gives you a fairly concealable package. I don't carry mine, but when I get my CCL, that will be my every day carry gun.

The Kimber is ridiculously accurate (I put 16 rounds inside of five inches at 25 steps), and the tritium night sights (if you get them, and you should) are without parallel. The trigger is also magnificent, with a clean, crisp break.

The Pro Carry II isn't the cheapest 1911 out there (prices start just under $900), but I truly believe you get what you pay for. The entire pistol exudes craftsmanship and quality, and it will be something you can proudly give your children one day. It will certainly last. Unless the Pro Carry II (or any Kimber, really) is just hands-down out of your price range, I'd definitely give them some consideration. I've been nothing but happy with mine.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I am an armorer for S&W and have carried a S&W for over 40 years. Right now I carry the S&W 4566TSW that they gave me when I retired. S&W had stopped making them but are making them again because NYPD just ordered 30,000 of them. They have changed them from silver to black. My buddy bought a Kimber and it would not chamber factory rounds. He called Kimber and they said return it and 3 months later after several telephone calls he finally received the firearm back with no explanation of what was wrong. At the price they cost you shouldn't have to send one back. I trusted my life to S&W for over 40 years I don't guess there is any reason to change now. I mainly keep it at the house for protection and carry something lighter for concealed carry. For concealed carry I carry a S&W 637 Airweight .38 Special +P. Most people have a misconception about a concealed carry firearm. It is a defensive weapon and not an offensive weapon. By the way the 45 ACP of my 4566TSW with night sights makes an intruder at my house have a bad day or night.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report

Who knows? My Kimber has happily cycled every single round I've fed it. Every gun I've had seems to have a kind of personality - things they like, things they don't like.

I'll give you a +1 on the Smith and Wessons. I've only shot one autoloader that a buddy brought to the range, but I swear by S&W revolvers. I wouldn't buy anything else.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

007-
I would not use a Rock Island for CC. Years ago, when I went for my first CCL, I had just traded an unsatisfactory Thompson .45 ACP for a Commander style RIA weapon. Came the time to qualify on the range with the new RI, the third shot down range blew out the barrel bushing and mainspring. Fortunately, I had a spare, and was able to complete the qualification exercise. I returned the defective RI Commander, bought a Kimber, and have been very satisfied with it. Rock Island is definitely not a weapon I would depend on in a confrontation.

Most people have a misconception about a concealed carry firearm. It is a defensive weapon and not an offensive weapon.
How right you are Sarge01.

But don't they also say the best defense is a good offense?!

No argument, just a comment, Sarge01.
I'd still rather have a .38 than a sharp fingernail file!!

Bubba

from jamesti wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

i won't carry less than a .40 cal. it is usually a sig. springfield is making some good ones right now, too. the XDM is pretty good.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

You can bet your bippy that if I have to show up for a gunfight, it will be with 3 S&W's: a matched pair of Model 19's and a 1000 12 gauge autoloader.

During my 35 years on duty I carried a .357 , a .40, and then a .45. The Dept. decided what I carried. I have as much confidence in my .38+P Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Points as I ever did with the .40's that I carried. What I meant about a offensive weapon is that if a crud is holding a high capacity handgun or a AK I'm not going to charge him with my CC weapon. You can't carry enough ammo to do that. I don't normally wear enough clothes especially in the warmer months to conceal large firearms or large amounts of ammo. My CC handgun to me is to be used up close and personal if I have to do so, not to make an assault on some crud that is heavily armed. When I showed up on duty for a planned arrest that had the potential to go bad I looked almost like Rambo, with the amount of firepower I had. Back to the original post I made I have a whole lot of confidence in my .38 Special +P. Check out the balistics on the round.

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I have a Springfield XD45 up for sale, would be perfect

from whitetailfreek wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I personally have a Charles Daly 1911 in stainless. It is their Emperor model, and I am quite happy with it. It has blacked out Novak styled sights, and I put a Crimson Trace Laser grip on it. I keep that for my home defense hand gun, and my winter carry weapon. I bought it used for 400.

WAM
Unfortunately, for most gunfights, you don't get engraved invitations.
So it's kinda, shall we say, impromptu.
Sort of a "come as you are" type affair.
I think the 19's and the 1000 are a super idea.
What I possess at this point, IF by invitation, I'd probably carry my 870 w/No. 1 buck(for up close and personal, I think the imp cyl choke tube) and my Ruger MKII Gov't.

Sarge01

For my CHL, I think I'll go with the Ruger GP101 (I think that's the model!) It's their little short barrel in .357 Mag, but I think I'd just go with the .38 +P. I have an absolutely slick, 4" S&W Mod 10, it's just so darn heavy!

Bubba
Kinda cumbersome, but effective!

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I just got back from my local range. The owner shower me the Springfield Loaded, the new Remington R1, and the Taurus. He said the best he carried was the Kimbers and some higher level Springfields, but he suggested for my price range ($600-800), that I get the Remington or Taurus. He also pointed out the RIA. He said they're all 1911s and that he hasn't had any complaints with any of them. Personally, I'm pretty sure I talked myself into the R1 for my birthday present.

0 Good Comment? | | Report

Well Bubba, if it is an impromptu affair it would likely be another S&W: a Sigma 9mm with 16 round magazine.

from PCRider wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I've carried a 1911 of one make or another for over 20 years, so I'll open myself up for return fire here. First, make sure it works. Not just a magazine or two, run it hard. Wet, dry, light defense loads, heavy loads, one hand, two hands, standing, kneeling, laying on the ground, shoot the heck out of it with the load you want to carry. This applies to any handgun you wish to carry, not just a 1911. Do this with all magazines you want use in the pistol. Second, make sure you are able to operate the pistol. Can you clear a stovepipe or will you freeze if it happens? Is operating the controls second nature or will you die because you forgot to hit the thumb safety? Will you put a round through your knee because you hit the safety and then the trigger during the draw? Third, shoot it hard some more, make darn sure it will work if you need it to, but drop it like a rock if it won't.

OK, I'm off the soapbox. My mainstay is a stainless Colt GM that I've had for over 15 years and has had some 25K rounds put through it. I'll put it against any pistol for being reliable if I need it. The pistol I'm most likely to have on me lately is a recent Colt Commander with some 5k rounds down range without a hiccup. I've had the chance to play with a 3" Kimber belonging to a buddy who refuses to sell it to me (so far). Most of the better known makes out there will work well, Springfield, RIA, Para, etc, but I will test the heck out of it before I "carry" it. Most Glock's, XD's, M&P's, etc, are wonderful in their ability to soak up abuse and keep kicking ( I REALLY like my 4" XD-40) but I don't trust any until I have wrung them out. This applies to a revolver, too, and I have several I would carry without hesitation. A properly set-up 1911 is an excellent defensive handgun, capable of precise shot placement in the right hands, and possessing multiple safety features that many pistols lack. Choose the brand/model that appeals to you the most and wring it out.

+4 Good Comment? | | Report
from FlHuntress wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Never take a knife to a gun fight--take a shot gun!

from whitetailfreek wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

PCRide, I applaud your post and +1!

I am a firm believer in TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING! Like many handguns, you need to break them in with good old shooting time and rounds down range. Not necessarily breaking the gun in, since most weapons don't need a whole lot rounds to open them up, but breaking yourself in with the weapon. If its going to be a carry weapon, you need to make sure you know how to properly maintain the weapon, and also cure any problems that may arise with a stoppage.

whitetailfreek- Yup, training is important but even that can sometimes overlook some basics. I did a couple of classes with a "shooter" who never even addressed maintenance. I know I can run one of my Glocks or the XD dry and filthy, and my 870 will go bang as long as I can muscle the slide, but even those run better when clean and properly lubed. Not to mention how to evaluate those little boxy things called "magazines". The most expensive handgun in the world can be reduced to the same as as a Kentucky pistol by improper or no maintenance. Even then knowing how to correct a malfunction on the spot is necessary, and has to be burned into the reflexes.

My biggest pet peeve is when people can't clear a stoppage. I have seen Marines in my unit that completely freeze when they have their gun jams up. You throw in a little stress, a malfunction, and all of a sudden it hits the fan. You can definitely tell who actually payed attention and practiced their immediate and remedial action drills.

What, you mean the big green machine doesn't have firearms that are perfect, and never malfunction? With the government only buying the best for our Marines? Jeez, way to bring me back to reality. The funniest thing to see is the guys at a range who are decked out like an ad for every "tactical" gear company looking stupefied when their uber-cool AR (tactical pistol, whatever) chokes, standing there trying to figure it all out. Even better is walking over to lend assistance and grabbing the thing, dropping the mag, yanking the charge handle while tilting it over to the side to clear a misfeed (looking into the breech to be sure it's clear, dumb a$$!), slapping another mag in, charging it, and then pulling off a string. All in the space of a few short seconds. The absolute best is telling them they should be able to do this while rolling to cover, since their standing around looking like a doofus just got their sorry butt waxed by some little kid with an AK. Laughing is optional.

Firearms aren't too bad, but the magazines are mostly GARBAGE! I have bought my own magazines for my M16A4 and also my issued Beretta M9. I had one magazine for the M9 that for some reason every 3rd, 5th, and 11th round would have a failure to feed properly. I made money on bets that this magazine would jam. It defied the laws of physics.

I have also had one of my M16 mags which you had to practically take a sledgehammer to slam it up into the magazine well. Fed reliably, but you had to smack the thing in like a red-headed step child.

Tacti-cool idiots generally don't know what the hell they are doing. They think if you "look" the part, you can act the part. They are sadly mistaken.

from BigBboy25 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Clay, may I ask you what you're asking for that XD?

from shane wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

1911 - Home defense - as good as a pistol gets as long as you can use it with your eyes closed and your brain half turned off. CCW - too big and catchy unless it's one of Kimber's specially modified, smoothed and slicked compact models, or something similar. I'm not necessarily a Glock fan at all, but I think they are a good practical option for both considering the extreme simplicity. Especially as a home defense gun. If your spouse or kids need to use it in a pinch it won't be too hard for them to figure out. Point and click interface!

I disagree with you on the 1911 being a CCW. I carry mine daily, during all seasons. Its all about the holster you get for it. During the winter, I use a Fobus holster. During the summer I use a Crossbreed holster. As long as you have a comfortable concealable hoster, the full size 1911 is a formidable carry weapon.

You're right, but I find it hard to really hide and not "print" a full size pistol like a 1911. Sometimes CCW means in a pocket to me.

Concealed carry is only as good as you want it to be. I carried a GM for a decade before I went to shorter lengths. I am 5'8" and a whole 140 lbs soaking wet and I can hide a full size GM in summer in in Phoenix, AZ. My Colts are "modified" only slightly, sights and beavertails only being the usual. My primary carry Commander can be hidden when I am in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops. Freek, you might want to check Galco holsters-I have used them since waaaay back.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

whitetailfreek-I think that you just came up with a perfect description of our Capon-in-Chief!
As PCRider suggested, check out Galco. I like their jackass rig for whenever I can wear any sort of coat or jacket.
To All- I would strongly advise you pay heed to PC's advice about "wring it out", and checking out your magazines. Same goes for speed-loaders for the revolver types.
I personally, will never have a weapon from Rock Island Arsenal. Once is too much.

Shane, check out the Fobus holsters. They sit much tighter to your body than most. I used to use a Blackhawk Serpa holster, and I love how it secures the firearm, but it sits to far away from the hip printing something terrible.

from chaslee wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I have a Colt Gold Cup I thought I needed for home defense but I think you would be further ahead with a shot gun.

I have a Colt Gold Cup I thought I needed for home defense but I think you would be further ahead with a shot gun.

from whitetailfreek wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Chaslee, I think, money permitting of course, you should have a smorgasbord of weaponry for your home.

I personally have my 1911, my tactical shotgun, and my AR15. I say if you can, cover all your bases. First weapon I would grab would probably be my 1911 though to be honest.

from 65swede wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I carry a Para Wart Hog with X/S systems sights & have been for seven years now. I use an uncle mikes side bet belt slide holster , it's tight against the body no imprinting.Above all i reccomend choosing a name brand personal defense ammo that will performe flawlessly in whichever brand 1911 you choose to buy.
Good luck with your choice.

Post a Reply

I've carried a 1911 of one make or another for over 20 years, so I'll open myself up for return fire here. First, make sure it works. Not just a magazine or two, run it hard. Wet, dry, light defense loads, heavy loads, one hand, two hands, standing, kneeling, laying on the ground, shoot the heck out of it with the load you want to carry. This applies to any handgun you wish to carry, not just a 1911. Do this with all magazines you want use in the pistol. Second, make sure you are able to operate the pistol. Can you clear a stovepipe or will you freeze if it happens? Is operating the controls second nature or will you die because you forgot to hit the thumb safety? Will you put a round through your knee because you hit the safety and then the trigger during the draw? Third, shoot it hard some more, make darn sure it will work if you need it to, but drop it like a rock if it won't.

OK, I'm off the soapbox. My mainstay is a stainless Colt GM that I've had for over 15 years and has had some 25K rounds put through it. I'll put it against any pistol for being reliable if I need it. The pistol I'm most likely to have on me lately is a recent Colt Commander with some 5k rounds down range without a hiccup. I've had the chance to play with a 3" Kimber belonging to a buddy who refuses to sell it to me (so far). Most of the better known makes out there will work well, Springfield, RIA, Para, etc, but I will test the heck out of it before I "carry" it. Most Glock's, XD's, M&P's, etc, are wonderful in their ability to soak up abuse and keep kicking ( I REALLY like my 4" XD-40) but I don't trust any until I have wrung them out. This applies to a revolver, too, and I have several I would carry without hesitation. A properly set-up 1911 is an excellent defensive handgun, capable of precise shot placement in the right hands, and possessing multiple safety features that many pistols lack. Choose the brand/model that appeals to you the most and wring it out.

+4 Good Comment? | | Report

During my 35 years on duty I carried a .357 , a .40, and then a .45. The Dept. decided what I carried. I have as much confidence in my .38+P Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Points as I ever did with the .40's that I carried. What I meant about a offensive weapon is that if a crud is holding a high capacity handgun or a AK I'm not going to charge him with my CC weapon. You can't carry enough ammo to do that. I don't normally wear enough clothes especially in the warmer months to conceal large firearms or large amounts of ammo. My CC handgun to me is to be used up close and personal if I have to do so, not to make an assault on some crud that is heavily armed. When I showed up on duty for a planned arrest that had the potential to go bad I looked almost like Rambo, with the amount of firepower I had. Back to the original post I made I have a whole lot of confidence in my .38 Special +P. Check out the balistics on the round.

+3 Good Comment? | | Report

I am an armorer for S&W and have carried a S&W for over 40 years. Right now I carry the S&W 4566TSW that they gave me when I retired. S&W had stopped making them but are making them again because NYPD just ordered 30,000 of them. They have changed them from silver to black. My buddy bought a Kimber and it would not chamber factory rounds. He called Kimber and they said return it and 3 months later after several telephone calls he finally received the firearm back with no explanation of what was wrong. At the price they cost you shouldn't have to send one back. I trusted my life to S&W for over 40 years I don't guess there is any reason to change now. I mainly keep it at the house for protection and carry something lighter for concealed carry. For concealed carry I carry a S&W 637 Airweight .38 Special +P. Most people have a misconception about a concealed carry firearm. It is a defensive weapon and not an offensive weapon. By the way the 45 ACP of my 4566TSW with night sights makes an intruder at my house have a bad day or night.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

007-
I would not use a Rock Island for CC. Years ago, when I went for my first CCL, I had just traded an unsatisfactory Thompson .45 ACP for a Commander style RIA weapon. Came the time to qualify on the range with the new RI, the third shot down range blew out the barrel bushing and mainspring. Fortunately, I had a spare, and was able to complete the qualification exercise. I returned the defective RI Commander, bought a Kimber, and have been very satisfied with it. Rock Island is definitely not a weapon I would depend on in a confrontation.

from FlHuntress wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Never take a knife to a gun fight--take a shot gun!

I've seen and shot the RI Armory. It's a really nice piece!!! The Taurus I have no idea about!!!
From past experience, the Taurus is probably a pretty nice arm but isn't comparable to the RI! (haven't touched a Taurus in years!)

Bubba

I've only had experience with Taurus wheelguns, but I've never really liked them. They just feel... Cheap. And not in the good way. Overall fit and finish just seemed subpar to me.

I've got a Kimber Pro Cary II, which is an amazing pistol. It's got a 4-inch barrel. That, along with the slim profile of a 1911, gives you a fairly concealable package. I don't carry mine, but when I get my CCL, that will be my every day carry gun.

The Kimber is ridiculously accurate (I put 16 rounds inside of five inches at 25 steps), and the tritium night sights (if you get them, and you should) are without parallel. The trigger is also magnificent, with a clean, crisp break.

The Pro Carry II isn't the cheapest 1911 out there (prices start just under $900), but I truly believe you get what you pay for. The entire pistol exudes craftsmanship and quality, and it will be something you can proudly give your children one day. It will certainly last. Unless the Pro Carry II (or any Kimber, really) is just hands-down out of your price range, I'd definitely give them some consideration. I've been nothing but happy with mine.

Who knows? My Kimber has happily cycled every single round I've fed it. Every gun I've had seems to have a kind of personality - things they like, things they don't like.

I'll give you a +1 on the Smith and Wessons. I've only shot one autoloader that a buddy brought to the range, but I swear by S&W revolvers. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Most people have a misconception about a concealed carry firearm. It is a defensive weapon and not an offensive weapon.
How right you are Sarge01.

But don't they also say the best defense is a good offense?!

No argument, just a comment, Sarge01.
I'd still rather have a .38 than a sharp fingernail file!!

Bubba

from jamesti wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

i won't carry less than a .40 cal. it is usually a sig. springfield is making some good ones right now, too. the XDM is pretty good.

You can bet your bippy that if I have to show up for a gunfight, it will be with 3 S&W's: a matched pair of Model 19's and a 1000 12 gauge autoloader.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I have a Springfield XD45 up for sale, would be perfect

from whitetailfreek wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I personally have a Charles Daly 1911 in stainless. It is their Emperor model, and I am quite happy with it. It has blacked out Novak styled sights, and I put a Crimson Trace Laser grip on it. I keep that for my home defense hand gun, and my winter carry weapon. I bought it used for 400.

WAM
Unfortunately, for most gunfights, you don't get engraved invitations.
So it's kinda, shall we say, impromptu.
Sort of a "come as you are" type affair.
I think the 19's and the 1000 are a super idea.
What I possess at this point, IF by invitation, I'd probably carry my 870 w/No. 1 buck(for up close and personal, I think the imp cyl choke tube) and my Ruger MKII Gov't.

Sarge01

For my CHL, I think I'll go with the Ruger GP101 (I think that's the model!) It's their little short barrel in .357 Mag, but I think I'd just go with the .38 +P. I have an absolutely slick, 4" S&W Mod 10, it's just so darn heavy!

Bubba
Kinda cumbersome, but effective!

Well Bubba, if it is an impromptu affair it would likely be another S&W: a Sigma 9mm with 16 round magazine.

What, you mean the big green machine doesn't have firearms that are perfect, and never malfunction? With the government only buying the best for our Marines? Jeez, way to bring me back to reality. The funniest thing to see is the guys at a range who are decked out like an ad for every "tactical" gear company looking stupefied when their uber-cool AR (tactical pistol, whatever) chokes, standing there trying to figure it all out. Even better is walking over to lend assistance and grabbing the thing, dropping the mag, yanking the charge handle while tilting it over to the side to clear a misfeed (looking into the breech to be sure it's clear, dumb a$$!), slapping another mag in, charging it, and then pulling off a string. All in the space of a few short seconds. The absolute best is telling them they should be able to do this while rolling to cover, since their standing around looking like a doofus just got their sorry butt waxed by some little kid with an AK. Laughing is optional.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

whitetailfreek-I think that you just came up with a perfect description of our Capon-in-Chief!
As PCRider suggested, check out Galco. I like their jackass rig for whenever I can wear any sort of coat or jacket.
To All- I would strongly advise you pay heed to PC's advice about "wring it out", and checking out your magazines. Same goes for speed-loaders for the revolver types.
I personally, will never have a weapon from Rock Island Arsenal. Once is too much.

Shane, check out the Fobus holsters. They sit much tighter to your body than most. I used to use a Blackhawk Serpa holster, and I love how it secures the firearm, but it sits to far away from the hip printing something terrible.

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I just got back from my local range. The owner shower me the Springfield Loaded, the new Remington R1, and the Taurus. He said the best he carried was the Kimbers and some higher level Springfields, but he suggested for my price range ($600-800), that I get the Remington or Taurus. He also pointed out the RIA. He said they're all 1911s and that he hasn't had any complaints with any of them. Personally, I'm pretty sure I talked myself into the R1 for my birthday present.

PCRide, I applaud your post and +1!

I am a firm believer in TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING! Like many handguns, you need to break them in with good old shooting time and rounds down range. Not necessarily breaking the gun in, since most weapons don't need a whole lot rounds to open them up, but breaking yourself in with the weapon. If its going to be a carry weapon, you need to make sure you know how to properly maintain the weapon, and also cure any problems that may arise with a stoppage.

whitetailfreek- Yup, training is important but even that can sometimes overlook some basics. I did a couple of classes with a "shooter" who never even addressed maintenance. I know I can run one of my Glocks or the XD dry and filthy, and my 870 will go bang as long as I can muscle the slide, but even those run better when clean and properly lubed. Not to mention how to evaluate those little boxy things called "magazines". The most expensive handgun in the world can be reduced to the same as as a Kentucky pistol by improper or no maintenance. Even then knowing how to correct a malfunction on the spot is necessary, and has to be burned into the reflexes.

My biggest pet peeve is when people can't clear a stoppage. I have seen Marines in my unit that completely freeze when they have their gun jams up. You throw in a little stress, a malfunction, and all of a sudden it hits the fan. You can definitely tell who actually payed attention and practiced their immediate and remedial action drills.

Firearms aren't too bad, but the magazines are mostly GARBAGE! I have bought my own magazines for my M16A4 and also my issued Beretta M9. I had one magazine for the M9 that for some reason every 3rd, 5th, and 11th round would have a failure to feed properly. I made money on bets that this magazine would jam. It defied the laws of physics.

I have also had one of my M16 mags which you had to practically take a sledgehammer to slam it up into the magazine well. Fed reliably, but you had to smack the thing in like a red-headed step child.

Tacti-cool idiots generally don't know what the hell they are doing. They think if you "look" the part, you can act the part. They are sadly mistaken.

from BigBboy25 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Clay, may I ask you what you're asking for that XD?

1911 - Home defense - as good as a pistol gets as long as you can use it with your eyes closed and your brain half turned off. CCW - too big and catchy unless it's one of Kimber's specially modified, smoothed and slicked compact models, or something similar. I'm not necessarily a Glock fan at all, but I think they are a good practical option for both considering the extreme simplicity. Especially as a home defense gun. If your spouse or kids need to use it in a pinch it won't be too hard for them to figure out. Point and click interface!

I disagree with you on the 1911 being a CCW. I carry mine daily, during all seasons. Its all about the holster you get for it. During the winter, I use a Fobus holster. During the summer I use a Crossbreed holster. As long as you have a comfortable concealable hoster, the full size 1911 is a formidable carry weapon.

You're right, but I find it hard to really hide and not "print" a full size pistol like a 1911. Sometimes CCW means in a pocket to me.

Concealed carry is only as good as you want it to be. I carried a GM for a decade before I went to shorter lengths. I am 5'8" and a whole 140 lbs soaking wet and I can hide a full size GM in summer in in Phoenix, AZ. My Colts are "modified" only slightly, sights and beavertails only being the usual. My primary carry Commander can be hidden when I am in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops. Freek, you might want to check Galco holsters-I have used them since waaaay back.

from whitetailfreek wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Chaslee, I think, money permitting of course, you should have a smorgasbord of weaponry for your home.

I personally have my 1911, my tactical shotgun, and my AR15. I say if you can, cover all your bases. First weapon I would grab would probably be my 1911 though to be honest.

from 65swede wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I carry a Para Wart Hog with X/S systems sights & have been for seven years now. I use an uncle mikes side bet belt slide holster , it's tight against the body no imprinting.Above all i reccomend choosing a name brand personal defense ammo that will performe flawlessly in whichever brand 1911 you choose to buy.
Good luck with your choice.

Post a Reply