Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

The Firing Line

257 weatherby for elk?

Uploaded on February 23, 2012

Has anyone have any good/bad experiences with a 257 weatherby and elk? It looks good on paper but paper isn't quite as tasty as elk. Any input would be great!

Top Rated
All Replies
from whitetailfreek wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I never went elk hunting, but I can tell you that it is illegal to shoot an elk with a .257 Weatherby in Pennsylvania. I believe the current regulation is the bullet must be larger than a .277 caliber.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I havd a .257 Weatherby and I have a lot of faith in the rifle and it is a tack driver, but my elk rifle is a Sako A7 300WSM shooting 165 grain Nosler Accubonds or 180 grain Hornady Interbonds.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

If I were hunting elk on a once in a lifetime hunt, I would go for something bigger like a 300 or 338 of some sort. That said, the 257 would be enough if you used a good premium bullet like a 120gr Swift A Frame, or Barnes X Bullet. I would have to say its marginal, but if your picky about your shots and keep them under 200 yards I think it would kill an elk just as fast as my ol 270 would.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I can't think of one good reason to take any .25 caliber rifle on an elk hunt. I think elk bullets start at 140+ grain bonded or copper expanding bullets driven real fast. I know people who say they have killed elk with a .257 Wby, but I never saw anyone in the field using one. Aboutthe lightest caliber any of our bunch has used was a .270 WSM with 150's. Most shoot 7mm and .300 magnums, .338/06, or .35 Whelen with the occasional .30-06 Springfield.

from BigBboy25 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I've shot a pile of elk, calibers have ranged form .243 win, 7mm-08, .308 winchester, .30-06 and .300 win mag. All have been effective but I agree with WA Mtn, about the smallest caliber I recommend for elk anymore is a .270 and I feel a 7mm or .30 caliber is better. The smallest caliber I've used in the last 5-6 years has been a .308 Win with a 165 grain TSX, and anymore my brother, father and I have all used my .300 with 210 Berger's for elk. As my Dad told me,
"Elk calibers start with the number 3 or bigger and poke two holes. One in, and one out."

from 268bull wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Elk are a big, incredibly durable animal. I have stated many times, anything is possible. I don't own a .243 but I have read much on the caliber and it's capabilities on deer, antelope, and such sized game. I personally feel that if for no other reason, a larger and harder hitting caliber, for humane reasons, should be used to take the elk. I Roosevelt elk hunt in western Oregon and use a Remington .270. I use Winchester XP-3 loads, but 75 yds. in these west side, brushy canyons is a long shot. Hitting the vitals is key to any shot and my .270 has been very effective. If I were to go to the east side to hunt, I would step my caliber choice up a notch or two.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

i've never even heard of anyone using that caliber for elk!

from mdpaulus wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

It could be used having said that it is on the light side. A follow up shot would most likely be required. I know my dad took his first elk with a .243 but shot placement is key. He uses a .300 win mag now. I have taken one with the .25-06, .280, 7 mag, and 300 win. I prefer the 300 only because I do not have to track the elk over a ridge or down to the meadow. I have taken 2 with the 300 and have not tracked yet. I had tracking with all the other calibers which was not bad other than the mountain terrain where we hunt is rather rugid even for horses, so I prefer not tracking in this region.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from hengst wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

A 257 WBY with 110 AB will smack the snot out of coyotes, antelope and deer. I have heard tell of guys using 25-06 and other 1/4 bores on elk.
In theory if you seek out a good broadside shot and keep it under 250-275 yds, then yes.
I for one want to hit the animal that I hunt hard and accurately. I am tempted to use my 257 wby on elk but common sense takes over.
In the real world for the average hunter if you have to ask is it big enough for____......it aint!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Hengst, Your last sentence sums it up nicely. "If you have to ask..." I never have to ask is my .30-06, .35 Whelen, 7mm Wby, or .300 Roy big enough! LOL!

from Garrett Smith wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

257wby for Elk? Well keep in mind that it takes about 1500 lbs of energy to drop an elk when shot in the boiler room. If you shoot a 50bmg at 50yards in the gut its going to blow right thru and you will have to try again with another round. Elk are tough animals but when hit in the right spot they will drop with a 257. If you are still thinking about using it, make sure you buy premium rounds like the 110gr accubond or the 115 BST from Weatherby. Either of these would be fine up to about 400 yards. Both rounds have plenty of energy to do the job. Look at the ballistics on weatherby.com
I have a 257wby and it is my backup/hiking gun for Elk. Its much lighter than my 300 and I have faith in using it out to 400 yards.

Post a Reply

from mdpaulus wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

It could be used having said that it is on the light side. A follow up shot would most likely be required. I know my dad took his first elk with a .243 but shot placement is key. He uses a .300 win mag now. I have taken one with the .25-06, .280, 7 mag, and 300 win. I prefer the 300 only because I do not have to track the elk over a ridge or down to the meadow. I have taken 2 with the 300 and have not tracked yet. I had tracking with all the other calibers which was not bad other than the mountain terrain where we hunt is rather rugid even for horses, so I prefer not tracking in this region.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I havd a .257 Weatherby and I have a lot of faith in the rifle and it is a tack driver, but my elk rifle is a Sako A7 300WSM shooting 165 grain Nosler Accubonds or 180 grain Hornady Interbonds.

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

If I were hunting elk on a once in a lifetime hunt, I would go for something bigger like a 300 or 338 of some sort. That said, the 257 would be enough if you used a good premium bullet like a 120gr Swift A Frame, or Barnes X Bullet. I would have to say its marginal, but if your picky about your shots and keep them under 200 yards I think it would kill an elk just as fast as my ol 270 would.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

i've never even heard of anyone using that caliber for elk!

from hengst wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

A 257 WBY with 110 AB will smack the snot out of coyotes, antelope and deer. I have heard tell of guys using 25-06 and other 1/4 bores on elk.
In theory if you seek out a good broadside shot and keep it under 250-275 yds, then yes.
I for one want to hit the animal that I hunt hard and accurately. I am tempted to use my 257 wby on elk but common sense takes over.
In the real world for the average hunter if you have to ask is it big enough for____......it aint!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Hengst, Your last sentence sums it up nicely. "If you have to ask..." I never have to ask is my .30-06, .35 Whelen, 7mm Wby, or .300 Roy big enough! LOL!

from whitetailfreek wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I never went elk hunting, but I can tell you that it is illegal to shoot an elk with a .257 Weatherby in Pennsylvania. I believe the current regulation is the bullet must be larger than a .277 caliber.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I can't think of one good reason to take any .25 caliber rifle on an elk hunt. I think elk bullets start at 140+ grain bonded or copper expanding bullets driven real fast. I know people who say they have killed elk with a .257 Wby, but I never saw anyone in the field using one. Aboutthe lightest caliber any of our bunch has used was a .270 WSM with 150's. Most shoot 7mm and .300 magnums, .338/06, or .35 Whelen with the occasional .30-06 Springfield.

from BigBboy25 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I've shot a pile of elk, calibers have ranged form .243 win, 7mm-08, .308 winchester, .30-06 and .300 win mag. All have been effective but I agree with WA Mtn, about the smallest caliber I recommend for elk anymore is a .270 and I feel a 7mm or .30 caliber is better. The smallest caliber I've used in the last 5-6 years has been a .308 Win with a 165 grain TSX, and anymore my brother, father and I have all used my .300 with 210 Berger's for elk. As my Dad told me,
"Elk calibers start with the number 3 or bigger and poke two holes. One in, and one out."

from 268bull wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Elk are a big, incredibly durable animal. I have stated many times, anything is possible. I don't own a .243 but I have read much on the caliber and it's capabilities on deer, antelope, and such sized game. I personally feel that if for no other reason, a larger and harder hitting caliber, for humane reasons, should be used to take the elk. I Roosevelt elk hunt in western Oregon and use a Remington .270. I use Winchester XP-3 loads, but 75 yds. in these west side, brushy canyons is a long shot. Hitting the vitals is key to any shot and my .270 has been very effective. If I were to go to the east side to hunt, I would step my caliber choice up a notch or two.

from Garrett Smith wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

257wby for Elk? Well keep in mind that it takes about 1500 lbs of energy to drop an elk when shot in the boiler room. If you shoot a 50bmg at 50yards in the gut its going to blow right thru and you will have to try again with another round. Elk are tough animals but when hit in the right spot they will drop with a 257. If you are still thinking about using it, make sure you buy premium rounds like the 110gr accubond or the 115 BST from Weatherby. Either of these would be fine up to about 400 yards. Both rounds have plenty of energy to do the job. Look at the ballistics on weatherby.com
I have a 257wby and it is my backup/hiking gun for Elk. Its much lighter than my 300 and I have faith in using it out to 400 yards.

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs