Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Fishing

problems casting with an abu garcia 5600 bcx

Uploaded on February 03, 2011

i as considerin buying an abu garcia ambassadure 5600 bcx i was trying it out and it wounld cast a quarter ounce rattle trap more than twent yards. i notice that when i was castin the level wind was moving as i casted. is that a common problem or was i using the reel wrong any advice will help

Top Rated
All Replies
from Sayfu wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Nope, the reel was designed to have the level wind move when you casted. Here's the deal. When the Japanese reels came out, they disengaged the level wind reducing the amount of friction it creates SLIGHTLY enabling you to cast lighter lures. BUT, there is a trade off most don't understand. By running the line at an angle through the level wind piece it causes backlashes, or generally just line over run on the spool. So you make a cast, and then have to pull out line removing the slack that was created right after the cast...bad deal. That is why the spools on those reels are so narrow, and don't hold a lot of line. A wide spool would cause an even bigger angle as the line reached the edge of the spool on the cast, and the level wind mechanism was on the other edge of the spool. ALSO, another bad feature of the disengaged level wind feature on those reels. If you have an extreme angle of line going through the level wind mechanism after you make the cast, and you have a snag, or a fish takes the lure, you put torque on the level wind mechanism that puts pressure on the internal pawl located on the worm gear. You can destroy both of them, the worm gear and the pawl by putting pressure on a hook set or just pulling off of a snag. I like the level wind feature running back and forth when the reel is in free spool because of the problems created by the level wind disengaging as I posted. Hope this helps. I was big into level winds and owned lots, and lots of them, and sold them during my lure fishing steelhead days.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from elijahsamuelburnett wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

waht size lures should you be able to cast cause this one dont its a rough sound hen you cast and the lure goes nowhere

Crank up the lure to near end of the rod. Push in the free spool button, and then loosen the spool tension nob on the side of the reel until the lure falls to the ground. That reel should be able to cast 1/4 oz. lures unless something is wrong with it. There should not be a rough sound.

ok thanks and its a hard to describe sound not necisarrily rough but not smooth

Remember to...everytime you fish to put a drop or two of light oil on the worm gear...turn the reel over so you can see the worm gear, and put a drop or two on that gear. I've seen level wind after level wind quit working because the angler never put oil on that gear, and when dry, the metal pawl piece that meshes with the metal worm gear grinds to a halt. The pawl gets nicked up, and it then will ruin the worm gear...typically will run to the edge of the spool, and then will not go back. It is costly to have to replace that worm gear, and the pawl.

thanks i normally do that the reel has never been used so i would say that theres no oil on it

sayfu the worm gear was the issue i put a few drops of oil on it and now it casts like a dream thanks for the help

Post a Reply

Nope, the reel was designed to have the level wind move when you casted. Here's the deal. When the Japanese reels came out, they disengaged the level wind reducing the amount of friction it creates SLIGHTLY enabling you to cast lighter lures. BUT, there is a trade off most don't understand. By running the line at an angle through the level wind piece it causes backlashes, or generally just line over run on the spool. So you make a cast, and then have to pull out line removing the slack that was created right after the cast...bad deal. That is why the spools on those reels are so narrow, and don't hold a lot of line. A wide spool would cause an even bigger angle as the line reached the edge of the spool on the cast, and the level wind mechanism was on the other edge of the spool. ALSO, another bad feature of the disengaged level wind feature on those reels. If you have an extreme angle of line going through the level wind mechanism after you make the cast, and you have a snag, or a fish takes the lure, you put torque on the level wind mechanism that puts pressure on the internal pawl located on the worm gear. You can destroy both of them, the worm gear and the pawl by putting pressure on a hook set or just pulling off of a snag. I like the level wind feature running back and forth when the reel is in free spool because of the problems created by the level wind disengaging as I posted. Hope this helps. I was big into level winds and owned lots, and lots of them, and sold them during my lure fishing steelhead days.

waht size lures should you be able to cast cause this one dont its a rough sound hen you cast and the lure goes nowhere

Crank up the lure to near end of the rod. Push in the free spool button, and then loosen the spool tension nob on the side of the reel until the lure falls to the ground. That reel should be able to cast 1/4 oz. lures unless something is wrong with it. There should not be a rough sound.

Remember to...everytime you fish to put a drop or two of light oil on the worm gear...turn the reel over so you can see the worm gear, and put a drop or two on that gear. I've seen level wind after level wind quit working because the angler never put oil on that gear, and when dry, the metal pawl piece that meshes with the metal worm gear grinds to a halt. The pawl gets nicked up, and it then will ruin the worm gear...typically will run to the edge of the spool, and then will not go back. It is costly to have to replace that worm gear, and the pawl.

thanks i normally do that the reel has never been used so i would say that theres no oil on it

sayfu the worm gear was the issue i put a few drops of oil on it and now it casts like a dream thanks for the help

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs