Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Rifles

.270 or 25-06

Uploaded on April 23, 2009

So what gun do you think is better, a .270 or a 25-06? lets hear it!

Top Rated
All Replies
from rocky d bashaw wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

depends on what you will use the gun for. i would go with 30-06, the range of bullet grains is so great it will do anything and everything these calibers will do.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

I would say the .270, I have one and love it. Kills everything I have shot with it quicker than lightning. I would do research on both calibers and decide on which one fits you best.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Reid Jones wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

25-06! especially if you're planning on keeping it forever. see it like this. a 25-06 is a perfect gun for deer, antelope, pronghorn, etc. you can shoot elk with it. the flat trajectory of the bullet is that of a 22-250 and has the knockdown power like a 270. the recoil is minimal. less than the 270. if you wanted to teach your kid to shoot a rifle, a 270 might be too big to have a 10 to 15 year old kid learn from. it has recoil and if a kid gets afraid or startled by recoil, they're not going to make consistent shot groups on paper. they will anticipate recoil and then you'll be wishing you had a smaller caliber. it's GREAT for varmints. the grain weight of bullets ranges from about 70 to 140. need i say more? really, a 270 kills everything as rabbitpolice stated. but in my opinion it's a little bit too big. i can handle the recoil of a 270 just perfectly but it's noticeable. 270 is a great caliber, but in my opinion the 25-06 is greater. im buying a gun soon and i've already decided it's going to be a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Standard in 25-06. 25-06 is a great caliber. nuff said.

+6 Good Comment? | | Report
from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

I'll say it again and again: A .25 caliber anything is not a proper elk cartridge. Yeah, yeah, I know, you or somebody you know has killed a rhino or moose with a .22 so that make a .25 good enough.

.25-06 is perfect for deer, speed goats, sheep, varmints, etc, but not for elk.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from infantry08 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Put a premium bullet such as a 115 or 120 grain Barnes TSX in a .25-06 and it will cleanly take elk. The construction of modern bullets really makes caliber less and less important. Any animal with a hole through both lungs is going to expire quickly and I assure you 0.02" is not going to make a difference one way or another if your shot placement is correct.

+5 Good Comment? | | Report

VERY well said infantry. shot placement is key when taking any animal. besides varmints or you know. when shooting a deer, why take a 300 win mag when you could use a 223 and kill the deer just as effectively, but with a smaller hole and a cheaper bullet and AHH i just don't understand some people. if yo can double lung an animal it's going to fall and die. 223 uses a much lighter bullet and really guys, you're going to anticipate recoil when shooting a 300 or any other huge rifle cal..it's alot better to teach a kid to shoot with a 223 or 25-06 rather than a 270 or a 308. you can drop elk with 25-06, like infantry said, advancements in ammunition have made caliber selection less and less important, shot placement is everything. 25-06 all the way.

Well then, tell us all how many elk you have killed with your .25-06.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Touche` WA-
If we are discussing these two rounds in hunting big game in general not to exceed the size of the whitetail class animal, to include hogs,, I would say either one is a good choice...but now if we throw in Elk size game you really can't take a 25.06 as a serious choice. Come on now; we hunters want a quick humane kill and as such we owe it to the game animal to use the proper bullet and minimum power to get the job done right on the first shot!

never shot an elk in my life. did i say i have? all i said is that a 25-06 would be a much better choice. i've shot 270 a 25-06 both. and yes i deer hunt. i have for 5 years. i didn't say that i know what it's like to shoot an elk with a 25-06 and a 270, all i'm saying is that a 25-06 is a better choice for a gun to have for a lifetime, and to hand down and let your children learn from. i DO agree that a 270 is a great rifle, but i like the 25-06 more. so to answer your question WA Mtnhunter, NONE! but the question doesn't say, "25-06 for elk?"...it says "270 or 25-06". and the reasons stated above are why i would go with the 25-06.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report

wait. i said WELL SAID to infantry because he made a good point. ammunition technology has developed so much, that the need for such a large caliber isn't as important as it is to put the bullet in the vitals. so go with the 25-06 also because it's a cheaper bullet if that means anything to you because shot placement means alot now. i know for a fact that you can kill elk with 25-06. i also know that a 270 probably would do a better job, but with great shot placement, both will suffice.

I humbly apologize for getting slightly off subject.

Infantry08 is right about ammunition technology being what it is. Under ideal conditions, a .25-06 will take elk. So will a .243 Win. I saw one of the biggest 6x7 bulls that I have ever seen killed by an old dude in jeans, red plaid shirt, and a Carhartt jacket, not one stitch of camo, at 400 yards with a .243. Truth be known, he shot it from the truck! So even the .243 will take elk - fact.

But anything smaller than .277 bore with less than a 150 grain bullet is not an elk rifle. I don't hunt elk with my .257 Roberts, either. And any of you real time elk slayers will sure vouch for the fact that ideal conditions for the ideal shot with a light rifle are few and far between in elk country.

i do agree with what you said in the last paragraph. a 25-06 might be a little too small for comfort, but it will work. i've seen it happen, and have heard stories about it working. i'm sure a 22-250 would do the job also on an elk. heck a kid from my school shot a whitetail with a .17 hmr.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Reid, Nobody should be shooting elk with a .22-250 or deer with a .17, and i'm sure it is illegal to do so, and stupid to brag about too. The differences between a .270 and a .25-06 are negligible, but the .270 is better for elk or bear due to heavier bullets available. Both are very fine calibers.

steve, that's not the point i was saying. i said a 22-250 would do the job also to show that shot placement is more important than size of cartridge. i would NEVER Take a 22-250 to shoot elk. i was just using that as a way to show that show placement is important. 17 HMR on whitetail i said, not elk. i'm not bragging about it at all! the kids an idiot. but still, it shows that shot placement means more than size of caliber doesnt it?!

from Ed J wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

One without the other doesn't work. Or rather will make for a whole bunch of work ie; tracking a wounded animal.

Back to the original question, I sugest the 25-06 for the starter gun, Varmints up through mule deer. Then when your ready to after elk get a 35 whelan. By then you'll want an excuse to buy another gun and you'll have one, 'need one for elk hunting'.
Worked for me about 50 yrs ago, except I got a .338.

Yah, got me that .338 20 years ago and sold that kicking mule before I ever got it zeroed in at the range. Got me a .35 Whelen and never looked back.

300 win mag would be my choice of a mule kicking caliber if i had to choose. either that or a 308 because of the range.

@Reid Jones

Not to say that the .35 Whelen is a light kicker, since I have had several people who have fired it complain about the recoil. It just doesn't come at you quite as fast nor furiously as a .338 Win Mag.

Since my .338 experience, I have never been a serious magnum fan. However, after shooting my son's 7mm Rem Mag on numerous occasions, I have softened my personal dislike for them. But since I have a lightweight .30-06 with a 24" barrel, the 7mm Rem Mag doesn't provide a quantum leap in capability. But since reading Petzal's test of the new FNH made Winchester Model 70, I am considering a Featherweight (which aren't very light) in .300 Win Mag as a classic combination. Don't ask me why because I don't have a reason other than " I think want it". I killed my first deer and elk with a .308 Win and know several serious Montana and Idaho elk hunters that hunt with one.

"It's all good". Some just better ;-)

ALL calibers have their limits;strengths and weaknesses such range limits, or excessive recoil! I still think it safe to assume, however; that experience speaks louder then words. Having said this, if a WA or DP type hunter with more then a few "hoofs" under there belt suggests a certain caliber or bullet for game animal I'm gonna listen to them as giving me saged advice!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

If you’re going to only own one rifle a 270 and if two the 25-06 and the 30-06!

I’d prefer the 25-06 over the 270!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Clay-
You prefer the 25/06 over the .270 for BIG GAME in general, or the 25 being more flexible for varmint and BG?

from jlfreeborn wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

reid, a .308 does not kick like a mule

a .300 kicks twice as much as the .308

as for .270, they both make things dead, so pick the one you like best

from Reid Jones wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

300 is a kickin son of a gun.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

So is a .30-06 in a very light rifle....

from DakotaMan wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

25-06 all the way... no doubt! I grew up with both a 25-06 and a .270... both great rifles. I rarely shot the .270 and have shot easily over 40,000 rounds out of the various 25-06s I've owned. I never did it intentionally, I guess I just always grabbed the rifle that I thought gave me the edge for the task at hand. If I was shooting praire dogs or targets, I liked the low recoil so I could shoot as many as 500 rounds a day without developing a flinch. Both are pretty flat shooting but for prairie dogs, the 25-06 was flatter and that gave me an edge. For running foxes, coyotes, antelope and deer, the speed of the 25-06 gave me an edge, it was fast enough that the bullet hit where the cross hairs were on all but the very long shots. With the .270, I had to lead them. I could actually really never tell the difference in the killing power once I hit something.. both knocked everything dead that it hit. I for one, would have no doubt about elk hunting with either. With the premium bullets available today, no elk will survive a vital hit with either as long as it is from within 300 yards or so. Now for me, I have never shot an elk and that didn't play into my experience as you can see. If I elk hunt, I will probably take my .300 Dakota so that I can maintain over a ton of energy out to 600 yards or so. Both the .270 and 25-06 peter out after about 300 yards for something the size of an elk. By the way, if I go shooting Kudu and Gemsbock, I will probably do the same thing unless I use my .375 just for the fun of it. The point is, the 25-06 isn't the best for everything, just the things that people do in U.S. lower 48 states. I would also note that had I fired my 40,000+ rounds out of my .270 rather than the 25-06, I suspect that I would be a cripple today.

from j44cal wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Having shot .308, .30-30, and .35 most of my life; I was trying to decide what caliber I should switch to for less recoil since my shoulder surgery last year. After reading all the comments made here, I have decided to go with the 25-06. I appreciate all the info ya'll included on these two fine calibers.

from loganmills wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

good choice

from Christopher Spangler wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

WHY WHY WHY can't you guys let my wallet be! I already am set on buying a 25-06 tax time, now I'm not sure I can wait that long.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

WAM, Clay

Have either one of you had any experience with the .300 H&H?
I'm like WAM and his Mod 70 in .300 WM. I don't need it, I just want it!! LOL!!
I want a Ruger No. 1 in .300 H&H!!
How is recoil?

Bubba

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

FirstBubba, Old Freind had a Ruger No. 1 in 45-120. Don't remember the grain bullet, but it was in the 300-350ish grain range and at 500 yards it was smoking across from were we were at to the a rock on the other side like a 30-06 with a hot loaded 180 grain and hitting like a ton of dynamite! The recoil was a hard push instead of a kick of a mule, pleasant to shoot compared to other big bore magnums 458's-460's etc

I would go with Reid Jones with the 25-06, but I must agree with WAM, the 25-06 is a stretch for Elk for the average shooter! Personally, 30-06 would be my choice, but my 338 Win Mag would be my 1st choice and 30-06 as backup. Take down the M1 Garand and rap it up good in a 55 gal yard bag and toss it into my pack on back of my ATV for backup.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Problem is Clay. Ruger doesn't chamber a .300 H&H.
Found a guy who will rechamber a .308 Win to .300 H&H. I furnish the gun or he does.
IF I ever go there, there's no backing up!!
If I can't handle it, then I gotta sell it!!
NONE of my family will shoot anything with MAGNUM in the caliber!
LOL!!!

Bubba

from Jled79 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I grew up in Alaska hunting moose and bear. I've never fired a 270, but I can tell you that with proper shot placement the 25-06 will do the job and do it WELL! If any of you know the size of Alaskan moose I'm sure your aware that if it'll drop one of them an elk would be no problem. I'd NEVER take that out for bear, for that I always used my Browning BAR in 300 win mag. I know guys that shoot really big guns and I see their shoulders afterwards. I am confident that there is no game in north America that a 300 win mag won't suffice for, notthat the recoil from that is anything to scoff at, but it's no 375.

from Operator127 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

West of Mississippi .270. On the east side gotta have the 25.

from czechmate wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

I have shot my first whitetail with .270Win Husquarna in 1974.
In 1984 I have purchased 25-06 Sako, after several years of looking for the best caliber for whitetail. I always dredded the the kick and was never comfortable with the moment of pulling the tigger. The 25-06 Sako gave me a full confidence and ability to shoot with a great deal of placement selection. The recoil is mild and the trajectory is very flat. It is very similar to a .264 Win without the extra kick, loudness, bore wear and lower ammo availability. (The argument that 30-06 is more all around rifle with a great range of loads is a nonsense in Texas. Only load around 160gr has a best sectional density in 30-06. Varmint loads are useless for 90% of barrels). The best gun to hunt with is the one you are most confident with in any arising situation.(Like the best camera is the one you have with you!) It is also the best choice for a young starting hunter for building confidence, that goes hand in hand with developing the love for the hunting sport.

from Jonathan Lucas wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I had a Savage 112V in 25-06 with a fluted heavy barrel and 4x16 Bushnell scope. It weighed 12 lbs...too heavy for a good hunting rifle, but on a very windy day (~25+ mph 90 degree crosswind), I pulled out a 1/2" group at 500 yards. A buddy who is an excellent marksman was shooting a Remington 700 moa rifle that same day, and had a hard time keeping them on the paper. Also, with my Mauser 96 North American with a Redfield 2x7 Scope, I shot a 3 1/2" group at 600 yards, and that rifle only weighs in about 7 lbs. IMHO, the 25-06 the premium long range cartridge, and with Nosler 120 partitions will bring down anything you need to.

PS...My buddy's Remington 700 was in 30-06.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I just purchased a 25-06 on steriods (.257 weatherby Mag.) and it is a real pleasure to shoot and the accuracy is outstanding. I think I would feel comfortable shooting about anything(except big bears) with it with the proper bullet. Heck Roy even took the .257 to Africa and killed a Cape Buffalo with it, I don't know if I would go quite that far.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

If Elk isn't on the list, I'd go with the 25-06. 270 would be a far better choice for Elk. Although the 25-06 is the smallest recommended cartridge for Elk, Elk are known to head for the most gnarliest terrain known.

Today was the last day for the main deer rifle hunt and I decided to hit the thick stuff with 338 Win Mag Browning in hand and first round a 250 grain Nosler Partition chronographed just over 2800 fps.

Patients hell, I was going to kill something and knock half the woods down getting it!

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Clay,
I was sure that you keep saying that the 25-06 would kill anything. What are you doing carrying that canon into the woods.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Hey Sarge01,

What rifle in .257 Roy did you buy? Next one of those I run across at a fair price is coming home to keep the 7mm Weatherby company.

I purchased a Vanguard Deluxe. It is a beautiful rifle and it shoots quite well. I would have liked to have had a Mark V but just couldn't justify the price tag. It is the same rifle that I gave up last year and was lucky enough to get it back. The guy who had it put a scope on it sighted it in and sat it in his gun safe and then decided it was trading material and it returned to my gunsmith and gun dealer. Cabelas has a Vanguard now that has a lazermark stock on it but the only place you can buy it is at Cabelas. There isn't a store very close to me and I was happy to get the one I had back because I knew how it shot.

Good deal! I'm eyebaling a couple of them online and at a gun store right now. Might wait until after Christmas and see if the price comes down a tad. I'm too busy to even go to the range right now.

from 007 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

If you're too busy to shoot or fish, you're too busy.

I loaded a couple test loads with 110 Accubonds for the .257 today and I think I will go to the range tomorrow.

I found out this afternoon that it didn't like the Accubonds. Back to the reloading bench.

I found out today that it didn't like the Accubonds. Back to the reloading bench

I have not found the perfect powder and load for 110 gr Accubonds for my .257 Roberts either. My .35 Whelen loves them.

My 300WSM love the 165 Accubonds too but I remember before the .257 Mag wqouldn't shoot them. I ordered some brass this evening along with some Hornady 100 grain Interlocks. They shot well before at about 3600 FPS.

from lilbugz97 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

Yea I say the 270 hits harder and the 25-06 shoots farther so I really don't no!!! I think the 270 shoots better but I dought that it really doesn't matter at all. I think some peoples opions the that the 270 shoots better but it really doesnt matter!!!???!!?!?!

Yea I say the 270 hits harder and the 25-06 shoots farther so I really don't no!!! I think the 270 shoots better but I dought that it really doesn't matter at all. Butt its my opion.Some people like my dad thinks the 270 does!!!?

from 30-CAL wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

They both are good calibers, the 270 has been around longer as a factory round and can shoot a heavier bullet. But I love my Mark V ultra light weight in a 25-06 its all I carry for deer, I shoot a 100gr Barnes bullet and it puts them down. Shot placement is the key no matter what you shoot.

from DakotaMan wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

I went to the range with my buddy last year. He was shooting his .270, me a 25-06. Before he finished his box of 20 rounds (140g hunting bullets), he quit shooting because of a sore shoulder. I had shot about a 100 rounds by that time. His shoulder was badly bruised and he was unhappy. He tried my 25-06 shooting 75g and 100g bullets. He was shocked at the lack of recoil and proceded to shoot another 50 rounds or so. You can't tell the difference between these two when you hit a deer but your shoulder knows the difference. I also notice the speed difference with the 75g bullets on varmints.

from beathie1996 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

so fellas if i wanted to buy a rifle to shoot roos and foxes would the 25-06 be the best

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

beathie1996, I've shot quite a few foxes with the 25-06 using bullets weighing 75g, 87/90g, and 100g. Occassionally, I see a clean passthrough with a 1/4 inch exit hole. Typically, however, with ballistic tips or hollow points, there is pretty severe damage to the pelt. If you use a 25-06, full metal jackets will just poke a nice hole and are really optimum. Fox are so small and thin skinned that I actually prefer a .223 40g or 50g VMax bullet for them unless your range is over 400 yards.

from barefootghost wrote 49 weeks 3 days ago

for any child who chooses to play around with recoil and gets hurt remember that the weight of the gun effects whatever kind of thrust is generated by the size of the bullet shoot a 270 just strap a heavier barrel into that so called chamber of yours ill stick by the 25 and get more distance and velocity than most can view from there front porch

from Jeff Nicholes wrote 44 weeks 6 days ago

I've owned a couple of .270's and .30-06's and I don't care for them. I think they kick too hard for my comfort level. I will admit I'm a fan of the .243 Winchester with a good scope and a bullet like the Barnes TSX and the Nosler Partition, or one of the 95 grain bullets inside 200 yards, I could drop a muley doe or a cow elk with a shot to the neck and not ruin any of the tasty meat that one of those beautiful creatures provides.

from Dac wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

I thought the 270 was light recoiling? The 25 is a fine round but owning a 270 takes the need out of owning another rifle. Between the 270 and 223 I have everything I can hunt covered. It's quite the conundrum, because I as well as most have a want list tucked away in our heads (some have to write it down) and on my want list I have a caliber chosen for every critter that walks the earth. I want at least one rifle in every modern caliber that exists just so I can try them all and tell y'all what the best boomstick for deer and elk is. I'd have time for nothing but hunting.

from Sarge01 wrote 22 weeks 2 days ago

I had a 25-06 for 2 months and couldn't even knock down a whitetail buck with 100 grain Barnes TSX bullet through both shoulders. Ran 85 yards before he fell. I'm not used to have anything run that far when shot through both shoulders. It belongs to someone else now. I have a .280 which I like better than a .270 but no more 25-06's for me.

from DakotaMan wrote 19 weeks 5 days ago

Sarge, I believe you for sure but have to say that your's is an atypical experience. I've seen hundreds of deer and antelope shot with various rifles and can honestly say that the 25-06 flattens them with the best of them, if not better. I would guess that 90% of my shots have been bang flops, especially when hit high behind the shoulder, shocking the spinal cord. I also had one doe wheelbarrow 80 yards shot through both front shoulders and heart and one buck that leaped and fell about 300 feet down a canyon. I've also had about 50 that never took another step and many that were literally planted on canyon trails where they stood.

I have noticed that an occasional deer, even if it is shot with a 7mm mag, a .300 Win or .375 H&H will just run on adrenalin. The worst case of that I have ever witnessed was a close 30-06 shot that took the heart and both lungs out of the deer and hung them all on a neighboring bush. It was a gruesome sight. That deer never flinched and bolted straight away for over a quarter of a mile.

I've used 100g Hornady Interlocks in a 25-06 for most deer hunting inside 300 yards and they have accounted for more bang flops than any other bullet I've used or seen used. The Barnes bullets are deadly but I have seen a few runners with them in numerous calibers including .300 Win. They leave a serious wound channel but they also seem to carry a lot of their energy with them as they exit. I've never seen a deer go a 100 yards with any of them though using the 25-06 although I know it could happen on occasion.

I will also say that over a dozen friends and relatives have converted to 25-06s after witnessing the consistent instant kills I have gotten. I get more comments about the deadly impact and the stone dead deer than I have ever seen with any other cartridge other than the 7mm Mag. None of us shoot the 7mm mag though because none of us like the recoil.

from Cabochris wrote 16 weeks 5 days ago

My Savage Axis 25-06 will easily kill an elk with a shoulder shot using Barns 100gr TTSX- beyond 200 yards, every time- drop near the spot... period! I've hunted WA, Alaska, BC, Alberta, Europe and Africa using everything from 243 to 458. For the most part, a 30-06 will kill anything. The magnums more range. The 338 and 375s are not stopping guns. On a recent moose hunt guys killed their moose using 06's as easily as I did with my 375! I used to favor the 338, but now have more experience and smarts. Modern bullets have changed the game. The 25-06 and 270 have become much more lethal. What the Berger 115gr VLD does to big game is amazing! Mine dropped a bull elk with 1 shot at 175 yards! Just like my 338 has using 210 Noslers.

I used to worry about long range shooting- 400+ yards. I've only had to shoot that far by choice, twice. 99% of the time most of my shots have been under 200 yards and usually closer. So one could argue for a long range sniping rifle. Not for me as I have no interest in shooting animals beyond 400 yards. I can shoot 400 with my Big Magnums. But lately I've realized I do not need cannons for most of my hunting. I've also realized I really do not need my expensive custom rifles either. I used to go crazy building custom rifles and hoped they shot. My goodness, several of the new entry level $300 to $400 rifles are nearly tack-drivers out of the box with factory ammo! My $269 including free shipping off GB 25-06 Savage Axis is! Now good glass is the important decision to be made.

So, I'm climbing off the big magnum expensive rifles pony and
wrestled with the choice of 25-06, 270 Win or 30-06. If I had to pick one it would be the 270 using modern bullets. But what I wanted was a change from Magnums- the most killing power with less recoil and decent range. My pop-gun 25-06 is it and fun to shoot for hours. I like the utilitarian Axis so much, so I bought another in 30-06 for when I feel like shooting 180 or 220gr bullets. But even for elk I would favor the new modern 150 grainers. I do like bigger softer bullets for big black bear like the 180 Federal Fusion or 180 Remington.

So I picked the 25-06 over the 270, and got a 30-06 too. I figure I'll practice more using the 25-06 and hunt mountain game with it, or whatever... and then use the identical rifle/scope combo in 06 when I feel like making a bigger hole. But perhaps I need a 270 too? The new 140gr bullets can drop elk as quickly as anything, with recoil between the 25-06 and 06. My answer, the 270 is the better rifle.

Post a Reply

25-06! especially if you're planning on keeping it forever. see it like this. a 25-06 is a perfect gun for deer, antelope, pronghorn, etc. you can shoot elk with it. the flat trajectory of the bullet is that of a 22-250 and has the knockdown power like a 270. the recoil is minimal. less than the 270. if you wanted to teach your kid to shoot a rifle, a 270 might be too big to have a 10 to 15 year old kid learn from. it has recoil and if a kid gets afraid or startled by recoil, they're not going to make consistent shot groups on paper. they will anticipate recoil and then you'll be wishing you had a smaller caliber. it's GREAT for varmints. the grain weight of bullets ranges from about 70 to 140. need i say more? really, a 270 kills everything as rabbitpolice stated. but in my opinion it's a little bit too big. i can handle the recoil of a 270 just perfectly but it's noticeable. 270 is a great caliber, but in my opinion the 25-06 is greater. im buying a gun soon and i've already decided it's going to be a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Standard in 25-06. 25-06 is a great caliber. nuff said.

+6 Good Comment? | | Report
from infantry08 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Put a premium bullet such as a 115 or 120 grain Barnes TSX in a .25-06 and it will cleanly take elk. The construction of modern bullets really makes caliber less and less important. Any animal with a hole through both lungs is going to expire quickly and I assure you 0.02" is not going to make a difference one way or another if your shot placement is correct.

+5 Good Comment? | | Report

never shot an elk in my life. did i say i have? all i said is that a 25-06 would be a much better choice. i've shot 270 a 25-06 both. and yes i deer hunt. i have for 5 years. i didn't say that i know what it's like to shoot an elk with a 25-06 and a 270, all i'm saying is that a 25-06 is a better choice for a gun to have for a lifetime, and to hand down and let your children learn from. i DO agree that a 270 is a great rifle, but i like the 25-06 more. so to answer your question WA Mtnhunter, NONE! but the question doesn't say, "25-06 for elk?"...it says "270 or 25-06". and the reasons stated above are why i would go with the 25-06.

wait. i said WELL SAID to infantry because he made a good point. ammunition technology has developed so much, that the need for such a large caliber isn't as important as it is to put the bullet in the vitals. so go with the 25-06 also because it's a cheaper bullet if that means anything to you because shot placement means alot now. i know for a fact that you can kill elk with 25-06. i also know that a 270 probably would do a better job, but with great shot placement, both will suffice.

I humbly apologize for getting slightly off subject.

Infantry08 is right about ammunition technology being what it is. Under ideal conditions, a .25-06 will take elk. So will a .243 Win. I saw one of the biggest 6x7 bulls that I have ever seen killed by an old dude in jeans, red plaid shirt, and a Carhartt jacket, not one stitch of camo, at 400 yards with a .243. Truth be known, he shot it from the truck! So even the .243 will take elk - fact.

But anything smaller than .277 bore with less than a 150 grain bullet is not an elk rifle. I don't hunt elk with my .257 Roberts, either. And any of you real time elk slayers will sure vouch for the fact that ideal conditions for the ideal shot with a light rifle are few and far between in elk country.

from DakotaMan wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

25-06 all the way... no doubt! I grew up with both a 25-06 and a .270... both great rifles. I rarely shot the .270 and have shot easily over 40,000 rounds out of the various 25-06s I've owned. I never did it intentionally, I guess I just always grabbed the rifle that I thought gave me the edge for the task at hand. If I was shooting praire dogs or targets, I liked the low recoil so I could shoot as many as 500 rounds a day without developing a flinch. Both are pretty flat shooting but for prairie dogs, the 25-06 was flatter and that gave me an edge. For running foxes, coyotes, antelope and deer, the speed of the 25-06 gave me an edge, it was fast enough that the bullet hit where the cross hairs were on all but the very long shots. With the .270, I had to lead them. I could actually really never tell the difference in the killing power once I hit something.. both knocked everything dead that it hit. I for one, would have no doubt about elk hunting with either. With the premium bullets available today, no elk will survive a vital hit with either as long as it is from within 300 yards or so. Now for me, I have never shot an elk and that didn't play into my experience as you can see. If I elk hunt, I will probably take my .300 Dakota so that I can maintain over a ton of energy out to 600 yards or so. Both the .270 and 25-06 peter out after about 300 yards for something the size of an elk. By the way, if I go shooting Kudu and Gemsbock, I will probably do the same thing unless I use my .375 just for the fun of it. The point is, the 25-06 isn't the best for everything, just the things that people do in U.S. lower 48 states. I would also note that had I fired my 40,000+ rounds out of my .270 rather than the 25-06, I suspect that I would be a cripple today.

from j44cal wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Having shot .308, .30-30, and .35 most of my life; I was trying to decide what caliber I should switch to for less recoil since my shoulder surgery last year. After reading all the comments made here, I have decided to go with the 25-06. I appreciate all the info ya'll included on these two fine calibers.

from Christopher Spangler wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

WHY WHY WHY can't you guys let my wallet be! I already am set on buying a 25-06 tax time, now I'm not sure I can wait that long.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

I would say the .270, I have one and love it. Kills everything I have shot with it quicker than lightning. I would do research on both calibers and decide on which one fits you best.

i do agree with what you said in the last paragraph. a 25-06 might be a little too small for comfort, but it will work. i've seen it happen, and have heard stories about it working. i'm sure a 22-250 would do the job also on an elk. heck a kid from my school shot a whitetail with a .17 hmr.

@Reid Jones

Not to say that the .35 Whelen is a light kicker, since I have had several people who have fired it complain about the recoil. It just doesn't come at you quite as fast nor furiously as a .338 Win Mag.

Since my .338 experience, I have never been a serious magnum fan. However, after shooting my son's 7mm Rem Mag on numerous occasions, I have softened my personal dislike for them. But since I have a lightweight .30-06 with a 24" barrel, the 7mm Rem Mag doesn't provide a quantum leap in capability. But since reading Petzal's test of the new FNH made Winchester Model 70, I am considering a Featherweight (which aren't very light) in .300 Win Mag as a classic combination. Don't ask me why because I don't have a reason other than " I think want it". I killed my first deer and elk with a .308 Win and know several serious Montana and Idaho elk hunters that hunt with one.

"It's all good". Some just better ;-)

from loganmills wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

good choice

from Jled79 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I grew up in Alaska hunting moose and bear. I've never fired a 270, but I can tell you that with proper shot placement the 25-06 will do the job and do it WELL! If any of you know the size of Alaskan moose I'm sure your aware that if it'll drop one of them an elk would be no problem. I'd NEVER take that out for bear, for that I always used my Browning BAR in 300 win mag. I know guys that shoot really big guns and I see their shoulders afterwards. I am confident that there is no game in north America that a 300 win mag won't suffice for, notthat the recoil from that is anything to scoff at, but it's no 375.

from czechmate wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

I have shot my first whitetail with .270Win Husquarna in 1974.
In 1984 I have purchased 25-06 Sako, after several years of looking for the best caliber for whitetail. I always dredded the the kick and was never comfortable with the moment of pulling the tigger. The 25-06 Sako gave me a full confidence and ability to shoot with a great deal of placement selection. The recoil is mild and the trajectory is very flat. It is very similar to a .264 Win without the extra kick, loudness, bore wear and lower ammo availability. (The argument that 30-06 is more all around rifle with a great range of loads is a nonsense in Texas. Only load around 160gr has a best sectional density in 30-06. Varmint loads are useless for 90% of barrels). The best gun to hunt with is the one you are most confident with in any arising situation.(Like the best camera is the one you have with you!) It is also the best choice for a young starting hunter for building confidence, that goes hand in hand with developing the love for the hunting sport.

I had a Savage 112V in 25-06 with a fluted heavy barrel and 4x16 Bushnell scope. It weighed 12 lbs...too heavy for a good hunting rifle, but on a very windy day (~25+ mph 90 degree crosswind), I pulled out a 1/2" group at 500 yards. A buddy who is an excellent marksman was shooting a Remington 700 moa rifle that same day, and had a hard time keeping them on the paper. Also, with my Mauser 96 North American with a Redfield 2x7 Scope, I shot a 3 1/2" group at 600 yards, and that rifle only weighs in about 7 lbs. IMHO, the 25-06 the premium long range cartridge, and with Nosler 120 partitions will bring down anything you need to.

from 30-CAL wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

They both are good calibers, the 270 has been around longer as a factory round and can shoot a heavier bullet. But I love my Mark V ultra light weight in a 25-06 its all I carry for deer, I shoot a 100gr Barnes bullet and it puts them down. Shot placement is the key no matter what you shoot.

from Cabochris wrote 16 weeks 5 days ago

My Savage Axis 25-06 will easily kill an elk with a shoulder shot using Barns 100gr TTSX- beyond 200 yards, every time- drop near the spot... period! I've hunted WA, Alaska, BC, Alberta, Europe and Africa using everything from 243 to 458. For the most part, a 30-06 will kill anything. The magnums more range. The 338 and 375s are not stopping guns. On a recent moose hunt guys killed their moose using 06's as easily as I did with my 375! I used to favor the 338, but now have more experience and smarts. Modern bullets have changed the game. The 25-06 and 270 have become much more lethal. What the Berger 115gr VLD does to big game is amazing! Mine dropped a bull elk with 1 shot at 175 yards! Just like my 338 has using 210 Noslers.

I used to worry about long range shooting- 400+ yards. I've only had to shoot that far by choice, twice. 99% of the time most of my shots have been under 200 yards and usually closer. So one could argue for a long range sniping rifle. Not for me as I have no interest in shooting animals beyond 400 yards. I can shoot 400 with my Big Magnums. But lately I've realized I do not need cannons for most of my hunting. I've also realized I really do not need my expensive custom rifles either. I used to go crazy building custom rifles and hoped they shot. My goodness, several of the new entry level $300 to $400 rifles are nearly tack-drivers out of the box with factory ammo! My $269 including free shipping off GB 25-06 Savage Axis is! Now good glass is the important decision to be made.

So, I'm climbing off the big magnum expensive rifles pony and
wrestled with the choice of 25-06, 270 Win or 30-06. If I had to pick one it would be the 270 using modern bullets. But what I wanted was a change from Magnums- the most killing power with less recoil and decent range. My pop-gun 25-06 is it and fun to shoot for hours. I like the utilitarian Axis so much, so I bought another in 30-06 for when I feel like shooting 180 or 220gr bullets. But even for elk I would favor the new modern 150 grainers. I do like bigger softer bullets for big black bear like the 180 Federal Fusion or 180 Remington.

So I picked the 25-06 over the 270, and got a 30-06 too. I figure I'll practice more using the 25-06 and hunt mountain game with it, or whatever... and then use the identical rifle/scope combo in 06 when I feel like making a bigger hole. But perhaps I need a 270 too? The new 140gr bullets can drop elk as quickly as anything, with recoil between the 25-06 and 06. My answer, the 270 is the better rifle.

I'll say it again and again: A .25 caliber anything is not a proper elk cartridge. Yeah, yeah, I know, you or somebody you know has killed a rhino or moose with a .22 so that make a .25 good enough.

.25-06 is perfect for deer, speed goats, sheep, varmints, etc, but not for elk.

VERY well said infantry. shot placement is key when taking any animal. besides varmints or you know. when shooting a deer, why take a 300 win mag when you could use a 223 and kill the deer just as effectively, but with a smaller hole and a cheaper bullet and AHH i just don't understand some people. if yo can double lung an animal it's going to fall and die. 223 uses a much lighter bullet and really guys, you're going to anticipate recoil when shooting a 300 or any other huge rifle cal..it's alot better to teach a kid to shoot with a 223 or 25-06 rather than a 270 or a 308. you can drop elk with 25-06, like infantry said, advancements in ammunition have made caliber selection less and less important, shot placement is everything. 25-06 all the way.

Well then, tell us all how many elk you have killed with your .25-06.

steve, that's not the point i was saying. i said a 22-250 would do the job also to show that shot placement is more important than size of cartridge. i would NEVER Take a 22-250 to shoot elk. i was just using that as a way to show that show placement is important. 17 HMR on whitetail i said, not elk. i'm not bragging about it at all! the kids an idiot. but still, it shows that shot placement means more than size of caliber doesnt it?!

One without the other doesn't work. Or rather will make for a whole bunch of work ie; tracking a wounded animal.

Back to the original question, I sugest the 25-06 for the starter gun, Varmints up through mule deer. Then when your ready to after elk get a 35 whelan. By then you'll want an excuse to buy another gun and you'll have one, 'need one for elk hunting'.
Worked for me about 50 yrs ago, except I got a .338.

Yah, got me that .338 20 years ago and sold that kicking mule before I ever got it zeroed in at the range. Got me a .35 Whelen and never looked back.

ALL calibers have their limits;strengths and weaknesses such range limits, or excessive recoil! I still think it safe to assume, however; that experience speaks louder then words. Having said this, if a WA or DP type hunter with more then a few "hoofs" under there belt suggests a certain caliber or bullet for game animal I'm gonna listen to them as giving me saged advice!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

If you’re going to only own one rifle a 270 and if two the 25-06 and the 30-06!

I’d prefer the 25-06 over the 270!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Clay-
You prefer the 25/06 over the .270 for BIG GAME in general, or the 25 being more flexible for varmint and BG?

from jlfreeborn wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

reid, a .308 does not kick like a mule

a .300 kicks twice as much as the .308

as for .270, they both make things dead, so pick the one you like best

from Reid Jones wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

300 is a kickin son of a gun.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

So is a .30-06 in a very light rifle....

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

WAM, Clay

Have either one of you had any experience with the .300 H&H?
I'm like WAM and his Mod 70 in .300 WM. I don't need it, I just want it!! LOL!!
I want a Ruger No. 1 in .300 H&H!!
How is recoil?

Bubba

FirstBubba, Old Freind had a Ruger No. 1 in 45-120. Don't remember the grain bullet, but it was in the 300-350ish grain range and at 500 yards it was smoking across from were we were at to the a rock on the other side like a 30-06 with a hot loaded 180 grain and hitting like a ton of dynamite! The recoil was a hard push instead of a kick of a mule, pleasant to shoot compared to other big bore magnums 458's-460's etc

I would go with Reid Jones with the 25-06, but I must agree with WAM, the 25-06 is a stretch for Elk for the average shooter! Personally, 30-06 would be my choice, but my 338 Win Mag would be my 1st choice and 30-06 as backup. Take down the M1 Garand and rap it up good in a 55 gal yard bag and toss it into my pack on back of my ATV for backup.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Problem is Clay. Ruger doesn't chamber a .300 H&H.
Found a guy who will rechamber a .308 Win to .300 H&H. I furnish the gun or he does.
IF I ever go there, there's no backing up!!
If I can't handle it, then I gotta sell it!!
NONE of my family will shoot anything with MAGNUM in the caliber!
LOL!!!

Bubba

from Operator127 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

West of Mississippi .270. On the east side gotta have the 25.

PS...My buddy's Remington 700 was in 30-06.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I just purchased a 25-06 on steriods (.257 weatherby Mag.) and it is a real pleasure to shoot and the accuracy is outstanding. I think I would feel comfortable shooting about anything(except big bears) with it with the proper bullet. Heck Roy even took the .257 to Africa and killed a Cape Buffalo with it, I don't know if I would go quite that far.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

If Elk isn't on the list, I'd go with the 25-06. 270 would be a far better choice for Elk. Although the 25-06 is the smallest recommended cartridge for Elk, Elk are known to head for the most gnarliest terrain known.

Today was the last day for the main deer rifle hunt and I decided to hit the thick stuff with 338 Win Mag Browning in hand and first round a 250 grain Nosler Partition chronographed just over 2800 fps.

Patients hell, I was going to kill something and knock half the woods down getting it!

Clay,
I was sure that you keep saying that the 25-06 would kill anything. What are you doing carrying that canon into the woods.

Hey Sarge01,

What rifle in .257 Roy did you buy? Next one of those I run across at a fair price is coming home to keep the 7mm Weatherby company.

I purchased a Vanguard Deluxe. It is a beautiful rifle and it shoots quite well. I would have liked to have had a Mark V but just couldn't justify the price tag. It is the same rifle that I gave up last year and was lucky enough to get it back. The guy who had it put a scope on it sighted it in and sat it in his gun safe and then decided it was trading material and it returned to my gunsmith and gun dealer. Cabelas has a Vanguard now that has a lazermark stock on it but the only place you can buy it is at Cabelas. There isn't a store very close to me and I was happy to get the one I had back because I knew how it shot.

Good deal! I'm eyebaling a couple of them online and at a gun store right now. Might wait until after Christmas and see if the price comes down a tad. I'm too busy to even go to the range right now.

from 007 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

If you're too busy to shoot or fish, you're too busy.

I loaded a couple test loads with 110 Accubonds for the .257 today and I think I will go to the range tomorrow.

I found out this afternoon that it didn't like the Accubonds. Back to the reloading bench.

I found out today that it didn't like the Accubonds. Back to the reloading bench

I have not found the perfect powder and load for 110 gr Accubonds for my .257 Roberts either. My .35 Whelen loves them.

My 300WSM love the 165 Accubonds too but I remember before the .257 Mag wqouldn't shoot them. I ordered some brass this evening along with some Hornady 100 grain Interlocks. They shot well before at about 3600 FPS.

Yea I say the 270 hits harder and the 25-06 shoots farther so I really don't no!!! I think the 270 shoots better but I dought that it really doesn't matter at all. I think some peoples opions the that the 270 shoots better but it really doesnt matter!!!???!!?!?!

Yea I say the 270 hits harder and the 25-06 shoots farther so I really don't no!!! I think the 270 shoots better but I dought that it really doesn't matter at all. Butt its my opion.Some people like my dad thinks the 270 does!!!?

from DakotaMan wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

I went to the range with my buddy last year. He was shooting his .270, me a 25-06. Before he finished his box of 20 rounds (140g hunting bullets), he quit shooting because of a sore shoulder. I had shot about a 100 rounds by that time. His shoulder was badly bruised and he was unhappy. He tried my 25-06 shooting 75g and 100g bullets. He was shocked at the lack of recoil and proceded to shoot another 50 rounds or so. You can't tell the difference between these two when you hit a deer but your shoulder knows the difference. I also notice the speed difference with the 75g bullets on varmints.

from beathie1996 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

so fellas if i wanted to buy a rifle to shoot roos and foxes would the 25-06 be the best

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

beathie1996, I've shot quite a few foxes with the 25-06 using bullets weighing 75g, 87/90g, and 100g. Occassionally, I see a clean passthrough with a 1/4 inch exit hole. Typically, however, with ballistic tips or hollow points, there is pretty severe damage to the pelt. If you use a 25-06, full metal jackets will just poke a nice hole and are really optimum. Fox are so small and thin skinned that I actually prefer a .223 40g or 50g VMax bullet for them unless your range is over 400 yards.

from barefootghost wrote 49 weeks 3 days ago

for any child who chooses to play around with recoil and gets hurt remember that the weight of the gun effects whatever kind of thrust is generated by the size of the bullet shoot a 270 just strap a heavier barrel into that so called chamber of yours ill stick by the 25 and get more distance and velocity than most can view from there front porch

from Jeff Nicholes wrote 44 weeks 6 days ago

I've owned a couple of .270's and .30-06's and I don't care for them. I think they kick too hard for my comfort level. I will admit I'm a fan of the .243 Winchester with a good scope and a bullet like the Barnes TSX and the Nosler Partition, or one of the 95 grain bullets inside 200 yards, I could drop a muley doe or a cow elk with a shot to the neck and not ruin any of the tasty meat that one of those beautiful creatures provides.

from Dac wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

I thought the 270 was light recoiling? The 25 is a fine round but owning a 270 takes the need out of owning another rifle. Between the 270 and 223 I have everything I can hunt covered. It's quite the conundrum, because I as well as most have a want list tucked away in our heads (some have to write it down) and on my want list I have a caliber chosen for every critter that walks the earth. I want at least one rifle in every modern caliber that exists just so I can try them all and tell y'all what the best boomstick for deer and elk is. I'd have time for nothing but hunting.

from Sarge01 wrote 22 weeks 2 days ago

I had a 25-06 for 2 months and couldn't even knock down a whitetail buck with 100 grain Barnes TSX bullet through both shoulders. Ran 85 yards before he fell. I'm not used to have anything run that far when shot through both shoulders. It belongs to someone else now. I have a .280 which I like better than a .270 but no more 25-06's for me.

from DakotaMan wrote 19 weeks 5 days ago

Sarge, I believe you for sure but have to say that your's is an atypical experience. I've seen hundreds of deer and antelope shot with various rifles and can honestly say that the 25-06 flattens them with the best of them, if not better. I would guess that 90% of my shots have been bang flops, especially when hit high behind the shoulder, shocking the spinal cord. I also had one doe wheelbarrow 80 yards shot through both front shoulders and heart and one buck that leaped and fell about 300 feet down a canyon. I've also had about 50 that never took another step and many that were literally planted on canyon trails where they stood.

I have noticed that an occasional deer, even if it is shot with a 7mm mag, a .300 Win or .375 H&H will just run on adrenalin. The worst case of that I have ever witnessed was a close 30-06 shot that took the heart and both lungs out of the deer and hung them all on a neighboring bush. It was a gruesome sight. That deer never flinched and bolted straight away for over a quarter of a mile.

I've used 100g Hornady Interlocks in a 25-06 for most deer hunting inside 300 yards and they have accounted for more bang flops than any other bullet I've used or seen used. The Barnes bullets are deadly but I have seen a few runners with them in numerous calibers including .300 Win. They leave a serious wound channel but they also seem to carry a lot of their energy with them as they exit. I've never seen a deer go a 100 yards with any of them though using the 25-06 although I know it could happen on occasion.

I will also say that over a dozen friends and relatives have converted to 25-06s after witnessing the consistent instant kills I have gotten. I get more comments about the deadly impact and the stone dead deer than I have ever seen with any other cartridge other than the 7mm Mag. None of us shoot the 7mm mag though because none of us like the recoil.

from rocky d bashaw wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

depends on what you will use the gun for. i would go with 30-06, the range of bullet grains is so great it will do anything and everything these calibers will do.

Touche` WA-
If we are discussing these two rounds in hunting big game in general not to exceed the size of the whitetail class animal, to include hogs,, I would say either one is a good choice...but now if we throw in Elk size game you really can't take a 25.06 as a serious choice. Come on now; we hunters want a quick humane kill and as such we owe it to the game animal to use the proper bullet and minimum power to get the job done right on the first shot!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Reid, Nobody should be shooting elk with a .22-250 or deer with a .17, and i'm sure it is illegal to do so, and stupid to brag about too. The differences between a .270 and a .25-06 are negligible, but the .270 is better for elk or bear due to heavier bullets available. Both are very fine calibers.

300 win mag would be my choice of a mule kicking caliber if i had to choose. either that or a 308 because of the range.

Post a Reply