Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Hunting

.357 mag on varmint

Uploaded on March 30, 2010

How well would a .357 mag work in a rifle for varmints? How about deer? What is the ideal use for this cartridge in a rifle? I realize it is nowhere near the ideal cartridge for either deer or varmint but I plan on getting a .357 mag revolver and would like to be able to shoot the same ammo in a rifle as well.

Top Rated
All Replies
from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

spartan88-
A .357 with 158 gr. loads will work on coyotes and smaller varmints with ease. Your range will be limited to about 100 yds. or so, and although I have killed deer with a .357 out of a rifle, it really isn't enough cartridge to be ethical, IMHO. My .357 rifle is a converted Model 92, and I've had a lot of fun with it plinking and taking shots at the occasional varmint.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks crm. If I end up with one I will not be taking any shots at deer then. I have heard the thing is very quiet when shooting .38 special loads too. Sounds like a great gun if all I want to do is plink shoot yotes and below and use the same ammo in a revolver! thanks!

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

A shooting acquaintance uses a Marlin Model 94 lever action in .357 Magnum to good advantage, and he's a terror on jackrabbits in southeastern Oregon! He has an aperture sight on his carbine, and he's quick on running jacks and He's willing to try his handloads on deer in the season ahead, and I expect to hear about his results, but I will attest that a Winchester Model 92, a Marlin Model 94 or Puma ,357 is a handy, practical choice for varmints in the brush, and practice ammunition is easily affordable. Makes sense to me!

+1 Good Comment? | | Report

Post a Reply

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

spartan88-
A .357 with 158 gr. loads will work on coyotes and smaller varmints with ease. Your range will be limited to about 100 yds. or so, and although I have killed deer with a .357 out of a rifle, it really isn't enough cartridge to be ethical, IMHO. My .357 rifle is a converted Model 92, and I've had a lot of fun with it plinking and taking shots at the occasional varmint.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks crm. If I end up with one I will not be taking any shots at deer then. I have heard the thing is very quiet when shooting .38 special loads too. Sounds like a great gun if all I want to do is plink shoot yotes and below and use the same ammo in a revolver! thanks!

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

A shooting acquaintance uses a Marlin Model 94 lever action in .357 Magnum to good advantage, and he's a terror on jackrabbits in southeastern Oregon! He has an aperture sight on his carbine, and he's quick on running jacks and He's willing to try his handloads on deer in the season ahead, and I expect to hear about his results, but I will attest that a Winchester Model 92, a Marlin Model 94 or Puma ,357 is a handy, practical choice for varmints in the brush, and practice ammunition is easily affordable. Makes sense to me!

+1 Good Comment? | | Report

Post a Reply