Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Deer Hunting

556 for deer hunting

Uploaded on November 03, 2011

I'm thinking of buying a 556 semi auto for deer hunting in west virgina. do you think a 556 caliber is to small??? Thoughts and oppinions would be appreicated. Thanks

Top Rated
All Replies
from JamesD wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

In your state it's illegal to hunt deer with a rim fire under .25cal. A 5.56mm is a .223cal and your hunting regulations don't say anything about center fire cartridges under .25cal. With that being said a 5.56mm is a great cartridge for predators but a little light in my opinion for deer. If your a good marksman a .243cal would be more adequate. If you're looking for something under .30cal for deer hunting the .25-06, .270 and .280 calibers are better suited. Think of it this way if you were to get only one shot at a huge buck in your lifetime what caliber firearm would you feel the most confident in taking that deer with. Good hunting.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from wildcaller11 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

a good shot is in order to shood deer with a .223. my brother used our colt ar 15 his 1st year of hunting, and the spike horn he shot dropped dead as any other deer shot right, the key is pracice.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from whitetailfreek wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

My opinion, it is way too light. I would only advise using a .223 Remington for younger children, using a quality bullet made for larger game. I would also keep my shots within 100 yards.

If you want an AR platform to use for deer hunting, I would step it up to a 6.8 SPC, .243 Winchester, or .308 Winchester. Much better ballistic performance.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from junkyarddog wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Thank you all for your in put.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

In WV it is legal to hunt with any centerfire cartridge. My Son and my son-in-law both have .223's and both have success with their .223's. Neither has crippled a deer with their rifle. You have to pick your shot and don't just shoot for hair. I think that people with big guns think that all they have to do is just shoot for hair and it will do the job. They didn't take it from me I shoot a 300WSM.

from wp wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

The main problem is with bullet selection. Most .223/5.56 rounds are designed for varmints, targets, predators, or people. They expand too rapidly or not at all. If you can find a suitable projectile and pick your shots carefully you should have no problems. That being said, there are better choices offered in the AR platform that were mentioned above.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Wouldn't use it myself

from DesertWalker wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

although I think that the round is of solid quality I would not use it for deer hunting, as it was stated earlier the shot must be more perfect than with other calibers.

from 007 wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

I personally wouldn't do it unless it was all I had and I was highly proficient with it and patient enough to pick my shots. I have a family member who has probably killed the proverbial trailer load of deer with a .222 but then he understands the round's limitations and used it accordingly. There are better rounds for sure.

from ja_demko wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

No doubt it can be used with success. Huge numbers of deer are poached with the lowly .22lr every year and the .223 is a powerhouse by comparison. It wouldn't be my first choice, though. If you want something with light recoil and a flat trajectory, the .243 is very user-friendly from most platforms and is better suited to deer-sized game.

Post a Reply

from JamesD wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

In your state it's illegal to hunt deer with a rim fire under .25cal. A 5.56mm is a .223cal and your hunting regulations don't say anything about center fire cartridges under .25cal. With that being said a 5.56mm is a great cartridge for predators but a little light in my opinion for deer. If your a good marksman a .243cal would be more adequate. If you're looking for something under .30cal for deer hunting the .25-06, .270 and .280 calibers are better suited. Think of it this way if you were to get only one shot at a huge buck in your lifetime what caliber firearm would you feel the most confident in taking that deer with. Good hunting.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from wildcaller11 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

a good shot is in order to shood deer with a .223. my brother used our colt ar 15 his 1st year of hunting, and the spike horn he shot dropped dead as any other deer shot right, the key is pracice.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from whitetailfreek wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

My opinion, it is way too light. I would only advise using a .223 Remington for younger children, using a quality bullet made for larger game. I would also keep my shots within 100 yards.

If you want an AR platform to use for deer hunting, I would step it up to a 6.8 SPC, .243 Winchester, or .308 Winchester. Much better ballistic performance.

from junkyarddog wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Thank you all for your in put.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

In WV it is legal to hunt with any centerfire cartridge. My Son and my son-in-law both have .223's and both have success with their .223's. Neither has crippled a deer with their rifle. You have to pick your shot and don't just shoot for hair. I think that people with big guns think that all they have to do is just shoot for hair and it will do the job. They didn't take it from me I shoot a 300WSM.

from wp wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

The main problem is with bullet selection. Most .223/5.56 rounds are designed for varmints, targets, predators, or people. They expand too rapidly or not at all. If you can find a suitable projectile and pick your shots carefully you should have no problems. That being said, there are better choices offered in the AR platform that were mentioned above.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Wouldn't use it myself

from DesertWalker wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

although I think that the round is of solid quality I would not use it for deer hunting, as it was stated earlier the shot must be more perfect than with other calibers.

from 007 wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

I personally wouldn't do it unless it was all I had and I was highly proficient with it and patient enough to pick my shots. I have a family member who has probably killed the proverbial trailer load of deer with a .222 but then he understands the round's limitations and used it accordingly. There are better rounds for sure.

from ja_demko wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

No doubt it can be used with success. Huge numbers of deer are poached with the lowly .22lr every year and the .223 is a powerhouse by comparison. It wouldn't be my first choice, though. If you want something with light recoil and a flat trajectory, the .243 is very user-friendly from most platforms and is better suited to deer-sized game.

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs