Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Deer Hunting

H&R bull barrel 243 Accuracy?

Uploaded on December 01, 2010

I just bought a H&R bull barrel 243 for my sons to shoot when they get a little bigger. I can't seem to get this thing sighted in. I swapped scopes. I swapped rings. Cleaned it real well. Tried a couple differnt brands of ammo. I've put about 60 rounds through it and still the same out come. I can't get it any closer than a 4" to 5" group at 100 yds. So I started looking for forums. I found a few with the same problem. Some said that these rifles are very sensitive to pressure on the barrel and forearm and that you should rest on the frame in front of the trigger gaurd. (Makes sense to me seeing as it's a break over action) Also I read a few that said the rifling (1 to 10) in this gun does not shoot factory 100 grain ammunition very well and that it should shoot better with 70 grain or 80 grain ammo. I'm looking for some input. Please help.

Thanks

Top Rated
All Replies
from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Had the same problem not long ago with a .270.
Initially, being an inexpensive gun, mounted a BSA 3x9. No grouping. Scope seemed to have parallax problems. Store replaced it. New BSA scope. Same problem. Target looked like buckshot load!!
I recrowned barrel and replaced scope with a Leupold 2.5x7. STILL slinging stuff everywhere!!
I finally put the last BSA scope on my M77/22. Guess what? Amazing accuracy!!!
Don't have "competent" 'smiths in my area. When I get to a larger town, I intend to take the gun and see what they can do. My limited abilities have found no solution!!
Also tried various loads with various bullets. Still no good!!
I have an H&R in .22 Hornet that I had lots of problems with. An antique Weaver K4 sits atop it now. After about 20 to 30 shots, groups open up. It takes a really good scrubbing and TWO fouling shots to get it back on target!! Odd, but that's what works for that gun!!
I like the H&R Handi-rifles, but they can be a bit perplexing at times! I sometimes wonder if H&R's QA/QC might be a bit, shall we say, "lax"?

Bubba

+1 Good Comment? | | Report

BTW, the Hornet's problem proved to be load. Most folks load to tenth of a grain, MY hornet must be loaded to hundredth of a grain. ANY load either side of 9.75 grs of Herco 2400 WILL NOT group in the Hornet!!

Bubba

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Cogitozoom wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Good to know! I haven't shot the lower grain ammo in it yet so i'm hoping that clears it up.
PS.
I'm a quality control inspector and if it is in fact thier QC department's fault....... maybe I need to apply lol.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I had a bull barrel H&R .223. Had the same experience. Someone else is now the owner. A firearm dosen't have much time with me to prove itself. After about 20 different test loads if it dosen't shoot it goes down the road. Life is to short to deal with inaccurate rifles.

I agree!...........Though i'm still hoping I didn't waste my time or money. We will see at the range.

from loganmills wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have a .243 in nef and it shoots great with 100 grain bullets at a hundred yards.I tried some reloads and got well under 3/4 of an inch. Mine does not have a bull barrel. (Don't know if that makes a difference.)

from PigHunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

My wife's H&R .243 shoots great without modification. I remember seeing some posts on other sights a few years ago about free floating the stock or putting bushings under the barrel at the forearm. I've never done this but here's some links. If you try it please let us know how it comes out.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/nef.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/hrultrawp.html

from Thomas Welter wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I'm getting very frustrated with my h&r .243 with bull barrel. I mounted a Nikon 3x9x40 on it and kept running out of left adjustment. I returned the scope, mounted the second one,same problem. Took the rifle to a gunsmith and he told me the scope rail was mounted crooked.....great....i sent the rifle back to h&r manufacturing and they mounted a new barrel on the rifle and sent it back to me now i finally got it shooting relatively straight but definitely not my most accurate rifle...Now my problem with this hunk of junk is that with several different manufacturers ammo the breach will not lock closed all the time...Ive never battled a rifle so hard...I'm contacting h&r now to see about returning it....never again....good luck to all

from Operator127 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Have a friend with the all black .243. Tried everything under the sun and nothing worked. Sent it back to H&R they waved a magic wand now its a champ.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

You would think that I would have learned after the problems with the H&R .223 but I bought a H&R .243 and had no better results. I did give it 25 test loads before I sold it. Two is enough, no more.

from elijahsamuelburnett wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

i have a H&R 308 and it shoots great. have taken deer at 275 yards

from jhjimbo wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

i had a .223 that would not group. sent it to H&R and they put a
new barrel on it. shoots great. also have a 45/70 barrel for that action that also shoots great.
also i have an action with .308 that is a moa.
i also have the black powder/12ga combo and that shoots fine.

Post a Reply

Had the same problem not long ago with a .270.
Initially, being an inexpensive gun, mounted a BSA 3x9. No grouping. Scope seemed to have parallax problems. Store replaced it. New BSA scope. Same problem. Target looked like buckshot load!!
I recrowned barrel and replaced scope with a Leupold 2.5x7. STILL slinging stuff everywhere!!
I finally put the last BSA scope on my M77/22. Guess what? Amazing accuracy!!!
Don't have "competent" 'smiths in my area. When I get to a larger town, I intend to take the gun and see what they can do. My limited abilities have found no solution!!
Also tried various loads with various bullets. Still no good!!
I have an H&R in .22 Hornet that I had lots of problems with. An antique Weaver K4 sits atop it now. After about 20 to 30 shots, groups open up. It takes a really good scrubbing and TWO fouling shots to get it back on target!! Odd, but that's what works for that gun!!
I like the H&R Handi-rifles, but they can be a bit perplexing at times! I sometimes wonder if H&R's QA/QC might be a bit, shall we say, "lax"?

Bubba

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I had a bull barrel H&R .223. Had the same experience. Someone else is now the owner. A firearm dosen't have much time with me to prove itself. After about 20 different test loads if it dosen't shoot it goes down the road. Life is to short to deal with inaccurate rifles.

I agree!...........Though i'm still hoping I didn't waste my time or money. We will see at the range.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

You would think that I would have learned after the problems with the H&R .223 but I bought a H&R .243 and had no better results. I did give it 25 test loads before I sold it. Two is enough, no more.

BTW, the Hornet's problem proved to be load. Most folks load to tenth of a grain, MY hornet must be loaded to hundredth of a grain. ANY load either side of 9.75 grs of Herco 2400 WILL NOT group in the Hornet!!

Bubba

Good to know! I haven't shot the lower grain ammo in it yet so i'm hoping that clears it up.
PS.
I'm a quality control inspector and if it is in fact thier QC department's fault....... maybe I need to apply lol.

from loganmills wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have a .243 in nef and it shoots great with 100 grain bullets at a hundred yards.I tried some reloads and got well under 3/4 of an inch. Mine does not have a bull barrel. (Don't know if that makes a difference.)

from PigHunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

My wife's H&R .243 shoots great without modification. I remember seeing some posts on other sights a few years ago about free floating the stock or putting bushings under the barrel at the forearm. I've never done this but here's some links. If you try it please let us know how it comes out.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/nef.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/hrultrawp.html

from Thomas Welter wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I'm getting very frustrated with my h&r .243 with bull barrel. I mounted a Nikon 3x9x40 on it and kept running out of left adjustment. I returned the scope, mounted the second one,same problem. Took the rifle to a gunsmith and he told me the scope rail was mounted crooked.....great....i sent the rifle back to h&r manufacturing and they mounted a new barrel on the rifle and sent it back to me now i finally got it shooting relatively straight but definitely not my most accurate rifle...Now my problem with this hunk of junk is that with several different manufacturers ammo the breach will not lock closed all the time...Ive never battled a rifle so hard...I'm contacting h&r now to see about returning it....never again....good luck to all

from Operator127 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Have a friend with the all black .243. Tried everything under the sun and nothing worked. Sent it back to H&R they waved a magic wand now its a champ.

from elijahsamuelburnett wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

i have a H&R 308 and it shoots great. have taken deer at 275 yards

from jhjimbo wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

i had a .223 that would not group. sent it to H&R and they put a
new barrel on it. shoots great. also have a 45/70 barrel for that action that also shoots great.
also i have an action with .308 that is a moa.
i also have the black powder/12ga combo and that shoots fine.

Post a Reply