Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Deer Hunting

Remington 870

Uploaded on March 31, 2009

I am interested in buying a Remington 870 for myself(14yrs) and my brother(11yrs). I was in Dick's Sporting Goods and i was looking at a youth scoped combo in 20 gauge for $450. Does anyone else have this particular model or something similiar? Did it perform well for you? I am intested in hunting rabbits and deer with it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Top Rated
All Replies
from steve182 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I have an older one in 12 guage. No scope though, rifle sights on the deer barrel. Works great.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from silsbyj wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I own an 870 in 12ga. This is a great gun and would be worth the money spent.

from streack wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The Remington 870 is a good reliable gun and the 20 ga. will be sufficient for shooting both rabbits and deer. It is a simple gun to use and maintain, I would suggest buying it so you and your brother can master your shotgunning skills.

from jbird wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The Remington 870 is the most popular shotgun in America for a reason. It works, and works, and works. Millions of us have em', and you and your brother will get decades of enjoyment out of yours. Be safe.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from hunterkid94 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

i have an 870 wingmaster in 12gag. i was going to use it for deer in ohio but i decided not to get a scope on it. i love to rabbit hunt with it and its definatly worth the money.

from keen one wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I think highly of the 870 and own two.

Do not fall prey to the same line of thinking that caused me to jump from the 20 ga to the 12. (20's are for kids, Ha, if you can sink a grouse with a 20 you are more of a man than most!)

The second 870 is a youth express model in 20 ga. It's light, fast and totally reliable. I recommend this as an entry level shot gun. You will not loose sleep over the scratches and nicks that will adorne a well loved gun and it is less than $250 if you shop around.

A 20ga slug will not rattle your teeth like a 12 ga.

Good choice. Stay safe.

from hengst wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The 870 in 20 ga. is the perfect choice for birds and deer. Their is no reason why a 870 willnot do everything you want from deer to grouse to rabbits even a coyote or two. Just practice have fun and do not be in a hurry to buy a 12 ga. I have a 12 ga and 20 ga love using them both but I am not sure why I need the 12 ga I tend to grab the 20 alot.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The 870 Remington is the best value in a working shotgun- hands down. Mine have never failed, parts and accessories are everywhere, and they hold value. Get an 870 to start then add other shotguns to your battery later if you want to. There are plenty of "better" shotguns out there, but none better for the money! The 20 gauge is no slouch, but only a starter gun for waterfowl if you can't handle a 12 gauge just yet. I mentor a 16 year old who is just about ready to move up to a 12 this year, but he is comfortable with his 20 for now. I have been shooting a 12 since I was 11 years old, but do what is best fot you!

from NolanOsborne wrote 5 years 1 week ago

As said before, shop around if you can.
i picked up a benelli nova 12g in apg for 530 tax in (CAD), which is around 430 USD.
they usually go for around 200+ more here.

while i dont own one, i've used a few 870's and have no complaints

from beanap wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey i have shot my 870 countless times.. But before purchasing your 870 heres a couple things you should ask yourself.. 1. Am i responsible gun owner/shooter...2. what size of gun do i need.. this all depends on you and your brothers size, when i was a 14 yr old i was big and i had to use the plain 870 12 other wise the youth model would have been way to small for me... how long are are you going to be using this 870 because 870s dont tend to crap out on ya.. Make sure you are going to be sized right .. u dont want to buy this youth model and then next season rolls around and its too small for you... like i said though its your prefrence on how big u are and whhat you can handle.... In my opinion the 870 in 12 gauge is the only gun a would need unless he was an elk hunter but you get the picture.. these guns last forever and i mean a LONG time so make sure you make a decision on your size and what you can handle... happy hunting and good luck choosing the right 870

from wyates wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I have been very please with my 870. The one recommendation that I would make with the Remingtons is to replace the cheap plastic magazine follower they use at the factory with one of the stainless steel numbers sold by Brownell's. Much more durable and reliable that the factory part.

from choveln wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Don't get the 870 in 20 ga. When I was 12, I got my first 12 ga. The 12ga. is the best size in my opinion. Get the 870, but only in 12ga. Even if you are small, you will grow into the 12 ga. 870. 20ga. is weak compared to a 12ga. You will be happier with a 12.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Big O wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

I've got the 870 in 12ga. years ago and my little brother liked it so much he bought one in 20ga. youth( he had/has kids).
When he passed away I recieved it until the kids get older.
I use that 20ga. more than my 12ga. for everything from ducks/up-land birds to deer.
It's lighter to carry and dont kick like my ol' 12ga.
When the kids get bigger I may give them my 12ga first.
If you get the 20ga. youth you can get a coupon for a full size stock later too. Wise choice young man.

from Reid Jones wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

the remington 870 used as a tool is the most reliable shotgun ever made. it doesn't jam. the parts are great. you take it apart and put it back together easily. it gets the job done.

Post a Reply

from jbird wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The Remington 870 is the most popular shotgun in America for a reason. It works, and works, and works. Millions of us have em', and you and your brother will get decades of enjoyment out of yours. Be safe.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from steve182 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I have an older one in 12 guage. No scope though, rifle sights on the deer barrel. Works great.

from silsbyj wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I own an 870 in 12ga. This is a great gun and would be worth the money spent.

from streack wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The Remington 870 is a good reliable gun and the 20 ga. will be sufficient for shooting both rabbits and deer. It is a simple gun to use and maintain, I would suggest buying it so you and your brother can master your shotgunning skills.

from hunterkid94 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

i have an 870 wingmaster in 12gag. i was going to use it for deer in ohio but i decided not to get a scope on it. i love to rabbit hunt with it and its definatly worth the money.

from keen one wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I think highly of the 870 and own two.

Do not fall prey to the same line of thinking that caused me to jump from the 20 ga to the 12. (20's are for kids, Ha, if you can sink a grouse with a 20 you are more of a man than most!)

The second 870 is a youth express model in 20 ga. It's light, fast and totally reliable. I recommend this as an entry level shot gun. You will not loose sleep over the scratches and nicks that will adorne a well loved gun and it is less than $250 if you shop around.

A 20ga slug will not rattle your teeth like a 12 ga.

Good choice. Stay safe.

from hengst wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The 870 in 20 ga. is the perfect choice for birds and deer. Their is no reason why a 870 willnot do everything you want from deer to grouse to rabbits even a coyote or two. Just practice have fun and do not be in a hurry to buy a 12 ga. I have a 12 ga and 20 ga love using them both but I am not sure why I need the 12 ga I tend to grab the 20 alot.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The 870 Remington is the best value in a working shotgun- hands down. Mine have never failed, parts and accessories are everywhere, and they hold value. Get an 870 to start then add other shotguns to your battery later if you want to. There are plenty of "better" shotguns out there, but none better for the money! The 20 gauge is no slouch, but only a starter gun for waterfowl if you can't handle a 12 gauge just yet. I mentor a 16 year old who is just about ready to move up to a 12 this year, but he is comfortable with his 20 for now. I have been shooting a 12 since I was 11 years old, but do what is best fot you!

from NolanOsborne wrote 5 years 1 week ago

As said before, shop around if you can.
i picked up a benelli nova 12g in apg for 530 tax in (CAD), which is around 430 USD.
they usually go for around 200+ more here.

while i dont own one, i've used a few 870's and have no complaints

from beanap wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey i have shot my 870 countless times.. But before purchasing your 870 heres a couple things you should ask yourself.. 1. Am i responsible gun owner/shooter...2. what size of gun do i need.. this all depends on you and your brothers size, when i was a 14 yr old i was big and i had to use the plain 870 12 other wise the youth model would have been way to small for me... how long are are you going to be using this 870 because 870s dont tend to crap out on ya.. Make sure you are going to be sized right .. u dont want to buy this youth model and then next season rolls around and its too small for you... like i said though its your prefrence on how big u are and whhat you can handle.... In my opinion the 870 in 12 gauge is the only gun a would need unless he was an elk hunter but you get the picture.. these guns last forever and i mean a LONG time so make sure you make a decision on your size and what you can handle... happy hunting and good luck choosing the right 870

from wyates wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I have been very please with my 870. The one recommendation that I would make with the Remingtons is to replace the cheap plastic magazine follower they use at the factory with one of the stainless steel numbers sold by Brownell's. Much more durable and reliable that the factory part.

from choveln wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Don't get the 870 in 20 ga. When I was 12, I got my first 12 ga. The 12ga. is the best size in my opinion. Get the 870, but only in 12ga. Even if you are small, you will grow into the 12 ga. 870. 20ga. is weak compared to a 12ga. You will be happier with a 12.

from Big O wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

I've got the 870 in 12ga. years ago and my little brother liked it so much he bought one in 20ga. youth( he had/has kids).
When he passed away I recieved it until the kids get older.
I use that 20ga. more than my 12ga. for everything from ducks/up-land birds to deer.
It's lighter to carry and dont kick like my ol' 12ga.
When the kids get bigger I may give them my 12ga first.
If you get the 20ga. youth you can get a coupon for a full size stock later too. Wise choice young man.

from Reid Jones wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

the remington 870 used as a tool is the most reliable shotgun ever made. it doesn't jam. the parts are great. you take it apart and put it back together easily. it gets the job done.

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs