ATV Gear Review: Fly Racing F2 Carbon Helmet
Fly Racing F2 Carbon Helmet MSRP: $289.95 Performance: A quality helmet is the most important safety equipment an off-road rider...
Fly Racing F2 Carbon Helmet
A quality helmet is the most important safety equipment an off-road rider will ever purchase. Protecting the rider’s head from impact is certainly the helmet’s primary purpose. But the best helmets also provide users with other creature comforts that “Dukes of Hazard”-type helmets never dreamed of.
The Fly F2 Carbon utilizes a carbon/Kevlar construction to provide excellent protection and allows the design to remain lightweight. The helmet fit my face snuggly — the way it’s supposed to — and was very comfortable for the 10 straight hours I spent with it on my head. The light weight certainly helped prevent my neck from feeling fatigued as well.
The integrated vent system worked well enough that I never had any issues with my goggles fogging up while riding in nearly 100-degree temperatures all day long. The helmet did fill up with sweat, so I had to wash it. The liner snapped on and off easily, and cleaning it with a little Simple Green made the F2 smell almost as good as new.
The F2 Carbon is available in about 15 different color combinations, ranging from a simple black or white design to my tricked out Trey Canard replica modeled after the MX superstar.
I’ve worn just about every type of helmet on the market, but this was my first time wearing a Fly F2 Carbon. With that said, I plan on spending a lot more time in it over the next few months.
- Very light
- Reasonable price for a carbon/Kevlar helmet
- Lots of color choices are available
- An extra replacement visor would add extra value
- SNELL M2010 and DOT approved: meets or exceeds the toughest safety standards on the market
- Composite Construction Shell: built with an outer shell composed of aircraft grade woven carbon fiber and Kevlar composite materials, it remains extremely light and durable.
- Dual Density EPS Liner: made with two layers of EPS (Expanded Polystyrene), one softer and one slightly harder, they combine to provide a more progressive impact absorption rate for various levels of impact.
- Multi-port Air Induction Cooling System: with 11 intake and four exhaust vents, airflow helps the rider maintain a cool head.
- Tri-vent Goggle Anti-fog Vents: three of the air intake vents are located above the goggle eye port to move air away from the lenses and keep them from fogging.
- Quick Release Washable Comfort Liner and Cheek Pads: the soft liner is designed to absorb sweat and can be easily removed when it’s time for cleaning.
- Lightweight Aluminum Hardware: strong, lightweight machined aluminum screws, rivets and D-rings should offer years of service.
- Custom Molded Rubber Trim With Nose Guard: keeps flying rocks and debris from breaking your nose.