- Vocalizations from catlike meowing to muffled barking to angry scolding when squirrels sense danger or an intruder.
- The sharp crunching sound of a squirrel's teeth cutting through shells as it gnaws on nuts and other hard-mast crops.
- The patter of acorn, walnut, hickory, or pecan nutshell fragments falling to the forest floor.
- Shaking leaves and rattling branches high up in the trees caused by a squirrel that is jumping from one limb to another.
- The rustling of leaf litter as the squirrel scampers through the woods searching for food.