** FIELD GUIDE: MOOSE**
* Moose have been known to dive 20 feet deep to dine on aquatic plants.
* During summer, moose can eat about 10 percent of their body weight in food each day, which means a 1,000-pound moose can pack away 100 pounds of vegetation daily.
* Given their enormous size, it is perhaps not surprising that moose have been known to both attack and attempt to woo railroad trains.
* Moose antlers are among the fastest-growing tissues on the planet, capable of gaining an inch in length per day.
* 1,800 pounds: Weight of the biggest moose subspecies, Alces alces gigas. An average-size man would have to jump to reach the withers of such a bull, which can measure more than 8 feet tall.
* Despite their hugeness, moose are quite agile. They can run up to 35 miles per hour and can swim for 12 miles without rest.