Families come in all shapes and sizes, as do the best places for them to go fishing. The Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation—the group behind Take Me Fishing—has released its 2016 Top 100 Family Fishing and Boating Spots, featuring a wide array of angling hotspots.
For a second year in a row, the Everglades National Park claimed the list’s number-one slot this year. “One-third of Everglades National Park is covered by water,” states the National Park Service. “Park waters provide thousands of acres of shallow water flats, channels, and mangrove keys in which to fish.”
Three other Florida destinations also claimed spots in the top ten, and California had three chart-toppers, too.
Per the qualifying criteria, all destinations on the list are within driving distance of a major city, offer family-friendly amenities, and allow fishing. The list was chosen via online voting, and more than 35,000 anglers cast a ballot.
See the top-ten picks below, but also be sure to check out our state-by-state list of the 100 top fishing camps.
Top 15 Family Fishing and Boating Spots in America
1. Everglades National Park, Florida
2. Bahia Honda State Park, Florida / Atlantic Ocean
3. Blue Springs State Park, Florida / St. Johns River
4. Kissimmee State Park, Florida / Lake Kissimmee
5. Clear Lake State Park, California / Clear Lake
6. Brannon Island State Park, California / Sacramento River
7. Dockweiler State Beach, California / Santa Monica Bay
8. Hanging Rock State Park, North Carolina / Hanging Rock Park Lake
9. Guntersville State Park, Alabama / Guntersville Lake
10. Lake James State Park, North Carolina / Lake James
11. Maumee Bay State Park, Ohio / Lake Erie
12. Suwannee River Wilderness Trail, Florida / Suwannee River
13. Bald Eagle State Park, Pennsylvania / Sayers Reservoir
14. Lake Cumberland State Resort Park, Kentucky / Lake Cumberland
15. Wheeler State Park, Kentucky / Wheeler Reservoir