You don’t see many dog-shoots-man stories, but according to this AP article in the Sioux City Journal, doctors have amputated the upper right forearm of goose hunter Russell Stough, who was injured when his dog stepped on his gun’s trigger.

We’re not looking to point fingers here, and we certainly wish our fellow hunter all the best in his recovery. But for the sake of preventing future accidents, it’s important to note that his story at least appears to graphically illustrate why a shotgun’s safety should only be taken off as you shoulder the gun to shoot, and not before.