Best Hunting Rifle of 2013: Ruger M77 Guide Gun

$1,199; (ruger.com) Here is a dangerous/heavy-game rifle with everything done right. It’s a short-barreled (20 inches), all--stainless, laminated-stock bolt action with the controlled feed of the Model 77. Features include an excellent rubber recoil pad, an adjustable length of pull, first-rate iron sights, and an effective muzzle brake.

Pause for breath. Weight varies from 8 pounds to 8 pounds 12 ounces, and it’s available in .300 RCM, .300 Win. Mag., .30/06, .338 RCM, .338 Win. Mag., and .375 Ruger.  On our .375 Ruger test rifle, the trigger broke at 4 pounds 8 ounces with a very slight creep. (It’s not adjustable by the user, but a gunsmith can work on it.) The mechanism is an open design that will not collect water or debris. Our groups averaged 1.40 inch at 100 yards, fine for a rifle of this type. The removable muzzle brake does a good job of suppressing recoil, but if you don’t care for the noise it can be removed and replaced with an unported dummy brake of identical weight that allows you to keep your zero. The price is the same for all calibers: not cheap by any means, but a bargain considering the amount of thought that went into the design. Bottom line, the Guide Gun is a rifle to use when firearm failure is not an option.

CLICK HERE For the rest of this year's Best of the Best Winners!

from Happy Myles wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

Dave,
You may chuckle condescendingly if you wish. Hopefully, you were referring to extending length of pull by adjusting length of stock, not trigger pull, if so, that is a great idea. I am five eight a friend is six two , to deal with real heavy recoil we had to look at custom rifles.

I know Ruger wishes to promote their proprietary cartridges' but think the number of these riffles in 375 H & H they would sell might take their breath away. If your duffle bag containing ammo does not show up, currently you will not find Ruger 375 . 375 H & H, available everywhere.
You know my opinions on muzzle brakes around dangerous game, at least you can leave this one "home on the range". Kindest Regards

from Happy Myles wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

Re reading my comments not sure my real thoughts come through. If one may adjust the stock length , this is a heck of a good deal

from Ol Krusty wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

This looks like it would be a good timber rifle for elk, moose, or even deer in the 06, or the 338 Win. I would hope their recoil pad has improved from their other solid rubber pads. When I had my 338 Win in a M77, 10 rounds was about as much as I could stand before I was tired of it. There's nothing fun about getting kicked by a mule over and over again.

from Olivia Codipilly wrote 19 weeks 5 days ago

I really like the rifle concept, but there is no way that I would ever buy a rifle that has a stock that looks like that. I believe Ruger would will see a real increase in sales if they reconsider their laminate stock design, something more traditional perhaps.

from Happy Myles wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago