Rifle Review: Remington Model 783

Photo by Travis Rathbone

In the 1980s, watch designers developed the oscillating-crystal movement. As a result, it's now possible to build a watch for $39.72 that tells better time than a masterpiece of the horologer's art that has a conventional spring-driven movement and a price tag of $39,720. The watch guys proved that cheap does not have to mean inaccurate.

Same with rifles. The people who make them have figured out how to construct a gun that costs $300 but will shoot as well as a rifle that costs $3,000. Such a rifle will not be pretty, nor will it be finely made. The truth of the matter is that this sort of rifle may not be made well at all. But it will function, and it will be very accurate. The secret to such astounding (and inexpensive) accuracy? Stiffness. If you design a rifle that can't twist, warp, squirm, or flex when you pull the trigger, that gun is going to shoot like nobody's business. These days, every manufacturer knows how to do that.

Function Above All
The Model 783, which debuted at this year's SHOT Show, is Remington's first 21st-century rifle. It is, as the company's designers unashamedly admit, an amalgam of good ideas from other manufacturers. It is rough hewn, no surprise given how inexpensive it is ($450). It has a trigger that is less than terrific. It has a button-rifled barrel that is one of the roughest I've ever looked at through a borescope. And yet, it functions just fine. And it shoots. Oh boy, does it shoot.

What It Is
Remington built the 783 on a nylon-fiber-reinforced synthetic stock with its excellent SuperCell recoil pad at the butt and two aluminum pillars under the receiver. There are sling-swivel holes molded into the stock, an extremely good idea. The receiver is cylindrical and has a small ejection port, both of which enhance rigidity. Cartridges feed from a strong detachable magazine; you can load four in standard calibers, three in magnums.

Rather than soda-straw barrels, Remington has incorporated No. 2 contour tubes (22 inches for standard cartridges, and 24 for magnums). They are button-­rifled, but that does not automatically mean they're good. I shall explain.

My test gun, a .30/06, arrived with a bore that resembled a coal mine. After an hour of cleaning, I got a borescope inside and beheld more annular rings than a redwood tree can grow in several millennia. It was a mass of toolmarks, and there were long, heavy streaks of copper fouling.

The trigger is a two-stage design, similar to the Savage AccuTrigger. On my rifle it was a creepy 5 pounds, and Remington says you can adjust it down to 21⁄2. Not this one. I got it down to 3 pounds 12 ounces, which is good enough, but an AccuTrigger it ain't.

Weight of the 783 is just over 7 pounds, which is about right, and it comes in .270, .30/06, .308, and 7mm Rem. Mag. Basic color is black, but a camo version will be available in 2014.

Proofmarks
If you'd like proof that rifles no longer need to be works of art in order to shoot, here it is. These are the averages of four three-shot groups at 100 yards: Federal Premium 165-grain Copper, .534 inch; Federal Premium 180-grain Copper, 1.191 inch; Federal Premium 168-grain Match, .455 inch; HSM 165-grain SP, 1.245 inches.

Remington engineers told me that they frequently got jaw-dislocating groups from the Model 783. Given my experience, I believe them. My super-small groups weren't rare occurrences; they cropped up on a regular basis. And it shouldn't come as a surprise: Remington is making the 783 so that it can't do anything except shoot well. Even the nightmarish barrel is no impediment. The mind reels at the thought of what would happen if you put a good barrel on a 783.

Well-deserved criticism aside, the 783 is a good hunting rifle and a great value. The fact that it is as rough as a cob is no problem for a working gun. If you'd like to leave yours in the path of a wildebeest migration, go right ahead. Nothing will happen to the rifle. When you can pick it out of the dirt and the dung, you will still be able to shoot groups that you can cover with a dime.

from Proverbs wrote 16 weeks 4 days ago

This is too funny. Just weeks ago I was sighting in a new 783 in .270 that my varmint-hunting club was going to raffle for a fund-raiser. The raffle package included a Nikon scope, and it was my job to make sure it was shooting well enough to represent our club. We chose the rifle because it was inexpensive, new, and interesting, and put a nice scope on top to sweeten the pot.

Many club members asked me what I thought of the rifle. I said that it reminded me of my first Casio watch: Lotsa black and hard, ugly lines, but it kept perfect time!

from 1uglymutha wrote 16 weeks 4 days ago

It appears the rifle manufacturers have finally managed to extricate their heads from their nether regions. I have no experience with the Remington or the Ruger entry level rifles but an acquaintance won a Weatherby Vanguard II in a raffle and sold it to me at a rock bottom price. The weatherby has never produced near half-inch groups for me but consistently shoots around an inch which is plenty good enough for hunting in the five hundred to six hundred yard range. These economy rifles would be a good buy for those who haul Old Betsy out of the closet to hunt once a year. They will probably sell tons of these rifles.

from CL3 wrote 16 weeks 4 days ago

DEP: I have a 30/06 Ruger American with a Prostaff scope and my best group was 1.75" at 100 yards... off bags. 150 gr Rem CoreLokts. It's light. I'll keep it. You've shot both of these now, right? Can't go wrong with either can you? Lean Ruger or Remington?

from 1uglymutha wrote 16 weeks 3 days ago

CL3: My Vanguard (great trigger) in 300 Win Mag shot in the one and one half to two inch range with 180 grain core lokts. Velocity was right at 2800fps.That's the only factory ammo I've tried in that rifle. Best accuracy so far is an inch with basic reloads using Winchester brass,180 grain Nosler Partitions and imr 4350 to 2900fps.Well under book max. I believe that with carefully prepped brass and sorted bullets I can bring that down a bit. I've always managed best accuracy in factory ammo using Federal Premium or Black Hills. Happy shooting.

from Bfrowd wrote 16 weeks 2 days ago

I've owned and shot this gun (30.06) for many years and ill tell you its a great buy! not only is it very affordable but its a great shot. Remington in general produces very well made and functional guns but this 783 is one of their best. My 30.06 is a gun I take hunting every time being that its very light and easy to use.

from O Garcia wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Savage designers must be either grinning ear to ear or cursing through their teeth, as they watch other makers (Marlin, Remington, Mossberg) copy their barrel nut and Glock-style trigger in rifles cheaper than their own Model 110.

from New Age Bubba wrote 14 weeks 4 days ago

Let us bow our heads for a minute to mourn the passing of a great American classic--the Model 700.

from Proverbs wrote 16 weeks 4 days ago