Bourjaily: Trigger Happy

The Gun Nuts

February 19, 2009

Bourjaily: Trigger Happy

By Phil Bourjaily

Ruger’s 10/22 is like the Tin Woodman of rimfires: you can replace the whole thing with aftermarket parts bit by bit, until the rifle you’re left with contains none of the original pieces except the receiver. The latest accessory I’m aware of  is a single-stage trigger from Timney, who has been making aftermarket rifle triggers since 1946. They introduced the new 10/22 trigger this year as a result of customer response to the survey question: “Whaddya want?” (Mosin-Nagants also scored well on the survey, and those triggers will be available in the future)

The trigger sells for 149.50. Coincidentally, that is how much my entire 10/22 cost. Actually, I bought it used for $150 even, complete with a cheap 4x scope on top. I took the scope off and threw it away, thereby reducing the value of the rifle to exactly $149.50.
I dropped the trigger in myself  -- more on this in a moment -- and it is wonderful, breaking at a clean 2 3/ 4 pounds with that “snapping a glass rod” feeling that good triggers possess. The factory trigger, by comparison, tripped at a squishy 6 pounds. Switching triggers made my old .22 feel like a whole new rifle.

As for installation, it is straightforward, with a catch. The trigger group has two set screws that you adjust to protrude out the bottom to hold it firmly in the trigger guard after installation. The screws are supposed to come from the factory flush with the bottom of the trigger group, but sometimes they’re sticking out a little. If they are, I am here to tell you, no matter how many times you try, how much you swear or how hard you hit the pins with a hammer, you can’t get the trigger to fit in the trigger guard.

I called Timney in tears and they told me to back the screws out a few turns and try again. I did, and the trigger group dropped right in. I mention this only because other customers have experienced the same problem, and the instructions haven’t been updated to cover it yet. It should not scare you away from this fine trigger, or from installing it yourself.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Too bad they don't just sell the 10-22 already tricked out with a good barrel, Timney trigger etc.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I suppose that would take all the fun out of it. I've seen some outrageous 10/22s, made me wonder what kind of ray-gun they've got.

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Aside from its intelligent design, reliability and practicality as a sport rifle, the Ruger 10/22 enjoys deserved popularity for its ability to be affordably personalized. Other than the 1911A11 .45ACP, I haven't seen so many interesting choices on a basically sound piece of machinery since the Volkswagen "Beetle" reached its zenith as the most easily accessorized automobile on the market.
My first Ruger 10/22 had a full-length stock, and I changed nothing on it (other than adding a 3X scope) because I preferred it just as was purchased. It was sold after years of reliable and accurate service, and I pressed on to other other firearms purchases. The next was purchased from a friend who was moving elsewhere, needed to dispose of some of his belonging to defray moving expenses. I kept that for years, accessorized it a bit and passed it to my son when he was 13. He still uses it regularly, enjoys it and has no plans to sell it. Unfortunately, that leaves me without a 10/22 and, as we can see, new aftermarket products continue to be offered for this piece. I plan to buy another, and already have a .920 diameter barrel, Boyd laminated stock and other accessories in mind for the next purchase.
A part of the 10/22's appeal (for me) is that ability to personalize or change it without negatively affecting its reliability or accuracy, without eliminating or degrading the fun of affordably shooting a rifle that provides many hours of shooting enjoyment. I consider the 10/22 a stroke of design genius. I have other Timney triggers on my personalized M98 Mausers and a Springfield, and they've been noteworthy improvements over the triggers they've replaced.
I'm very pleased to learn that another worthwhile accessory has been made available to 10/22 owners. The 10/22 can be drawn from the box on purchase as a good choice, and doesn't REQUIRE aftermarket accessories to perform well, but it can be gradually and affordably changed (upgraded?) as the shooters resources or priorities permit over time.

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I can't see spending the cost of a 10/22 on a new trigger for my 10/22. I couldn't say whether or not the trigger is just ideal or drags like the rock of Sysiphus. It doesn't matter though because it groups very very well, and it's a good firearm for shooting alot in order to refine shooting skills.

For hunting, it wears a functional but heavily beat up old Lyman Alaskan scope. Some would say "too much scope" for the rifle but it's a small aperture scope and the weight and position are just right on my Ruger.

Bottom line, it needs no work and I have no desire to part with it.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

what is the 10 in 10/22 for.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

The 10 is for the original ten shot magazine.
I bought my first one decades ago for about $49.95 brand new. The one I purchased for my kid costed me $179.95 on sale brand new about 8-9 years ago. We have more than that in it for upgrades including the trigger piece by piece (a Timney would have been nice back then). Many 25 and 30 shot mags with the mag loader. The kid always wanted the 100 round drum until I told him he could pay for it and then the 30's were OK. Who knows how many thousands of rounds of all brands and types have gone through that barrel. It does still has the original barrel. Some day I suppose we will add a heavy barrel and a bright blue "barracuda" stock with a 12 power Leupold from the custom shop in silver with blue splotches all over it. Anything to drive up the cost of ownership in increase gaudy. By the way my old $49.95 1968 vintage 10/22 looks just like it did the day I bought it except for multiple dents, scratches, and such from honest but long use. It has a 3 x Leupold of the same age that costed much more than the rifle at that time. I think I like my 10/22's as well as the old Winchesters and Brownings because I am not always protecting the Rugers when afield. Don't want to damage the blueing or finish on the M-61 or M-63. A friend has a M-61 in .22 WRF, you guys remember that one?

from FairChase wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I love my 10/22. Got when I was younger, and I think my dad paid $130 for it. The stock triggers are a little soft. But its killed a lot of squirrels and cans. I like the new .22 pistol ruger has with a 10/22 action. You can get it in all kinds of laminated colors and it has a bipod. Wild looking little gun.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Find a model 39 Marlin made before the crossbolt safety came out. It is a much better gun that does not need a new trigger. The 39 is made to look like a man's 22. Mine is not for sale at any price. You gents have got me thinking about getting a Ruger 10-22 for a truck gun.

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I know this is gonna tick off the 10/22 guys. But by the time you have tricked your 10/22 into something that will shoot decently you could have bought a Kimber. You know why they don't really make after market stuff for a Kimber 22. Its because they build it right in the first place.

from buckstopper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

To Eastern Shore

The 10 refers to the factory 10 shot rotary clip

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Del, I have a 39A and a 39D and agree that for pure fun they are hard to beat. I once mounted a scope on the 39D but esthetically the appearance was all wrong. I removed it and went back to the original sights. My 39A has a Williams peep which makes longer shots more interesting. Other than that they are like Marlin built them. I always wanted a Winchester M-52 but so far it has never happened. Browning made some a few years ago that were faithful replicas. Of course Kimbers are nice but a totally different animal than a 10/22

from kestimator wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just traded a nice 39M in towards a Benelli M2. Nice guns (Marlin and Benelli). Kept my Ruger 10/22. Just a fun classic. Mr. Bill's guns were and are timeless.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Didn't AMT once market a copy of the 10/22? Maybe they still do. Does anyone know if they are the Ruger's equal?

from jjas wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 hours 30 min ago

I agree with your comment to a point. Sure a Kimber is much nicer out of the box than a 10/22 and yes, if you trick it out with all the bells and whistles you'll have a bunch of money tied up in it.

But, we are a nation of tinkerers. We are always trying to change things, make it better or build it to suit us. We do it with homes, cars, guns, etc. It's just what we do.

Jim

from Shaky wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I don't have a 10/22, though I don't have anything against them particularly. I did add the after market frills prices up and you can spend 1500 bucks pretty easily, and they still won't be as pretty or shoot as well as the Weatherby. But as the man said, to each his own. My beater is a Win.67, given to me by a brother-in-law in 1952, no frills or foofaraw, or scope, just a very dependable single shot .22 that I have killed hundreds of squirrels and rabbits with, and wouldn't trade it for a boat load of tricked-out 10/22s.
If I want to shoot a lot and fast, I resort to a favorite old Nylon 66, equipped with an aperture sight. It too has never failed me. A fellow at my range yesterday shot 11 rounds through his 10/22 and worked on the thing 2hrs. trying to get it unjammed, he had one of those 30rnd. mags that didn't want to function. I don't need that, thank you. so I'll try to struggle along w/o a 10/22.

from Bella wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

As noted in previous posts, I too love my 10/22, As far as the Timney trigger group goes, I wonder how that would compare with a Volquartson trigger group.
I got my 10-22 at a gun show for about $150. It wasn't my first, when I was a kid I swapped an air rifle for a 10-22 action and barrel that had been through a housefire, so the spring was weak and the stock long turned to carbon and ash. I whittled a stock out of a piece of pine 2x8 and took it out in the woods and shot it. It would only fire one round and wouldn't chamber a reload (I bought another mag). Almost certainly it was dangerous as hell and I am possibly lucky it didn't blow up, but hey I was a weird little kid and didn't get a lot of supervision. Nobody gave a damn.Times were different and people weren't so paranoid about what their kids might be up to. I shudder to think how the poop would hit the fan if a kid today tried some of the things I got away with back in the day. What a different world it was!

from JCB wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Timney also makes a great trigger for the AR-15 type rifles. It does not double like some of the others do, the price is reasonable, it uses the original trigger and hammer pins so you do not need special "anti walk out" pins. Plus the pins do not rotate and wear out the frame holes. I have installed Timney triggers for years and I have NEVER had any problems with them. Great product from a great company.

from elmer f. wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

just what i want, a $150.00 22 rimfire that i have to buy the whole rifle, and throw away all the parts, add $1700.00 in aftermarket parts to it and do all the work myself to make it a good rifle. NO THANX! if i am going to spend that kind of money on a rifle, it would either be a real target rimfire or a good centerfire. to me it makes no sense to try to make a real target rifle out of a ordinary plinker. it is like buying a kia, replacing everything but the radiator cap to try to make a porshe. just buy the real thing and be much happier!

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I've had a 10/22 forever also. They are just one of those guns everyone seems to like. They are dependable and extremely accurate right out of the box. I really haven't figured out why everyone started messing with them but I got caught up in the craze too. Mine started out as a Deluxe Sporter which now runs about $275 but when I bought mine I paid $169 at a mom and pop gun store just because I knew them and could have got it at Wally for less. Walnut stock with checkering and never failed to fire until you put about 1,000 rounds through it without cleaning which I have been known to do in an afternoon. After years of looking at those .920 target barrels in the Bass Pro and Cabela's catalogs I just had to have one but didn't want to replace the pretty stock. So of course I took it to a gunsmith who routed out the stock to accept the new barrel and glass bedded it for about the first four inches and then free floated it. I saw an amazing change in accuracy at long distances and with high velocity .22's like CCI stingers and Aquila. Got some trigger parts but never replaced the whole assembly. It is everyone in the house's favorite rifle to shoot and even though the barrel is so worn out it shoots about the same as it did the day I bought it I get no complaints. Any way you look at it they are fun, inexpensive, cheap to shoot and exactly what a .22 was intended to be. The MKII pistol is the same. God bless Bill Ruger may he rest in peace with the knowledge he has brought happiness to so many.

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

A couple of weekends ago, I pulled out my Remington Nylon 66 and let my 9 year old Grandson Alex shoot it.

The boy was out of ammo in no time!

from jamesti wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

i've got an old nylon 66 that i've had for years and would work well if i could find a clip for it.

from jamesti wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

phil, when did you get into rifles? i thought you would only own shotguns.

from philbourjaily wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

jamesti -- I own two .22s and a .50 caliber muzzeloader. No centerfires for me because there's nothing to shoot them at here in Iowa except coyotes, and I'm not mad at them. I did once shoot a pig in California with a borrowed .30-06.

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Glad I don't have to worry about clips/mags for my Nylon 66 its butt feed!

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Yes AMT made the Lightning and people that own it feel that it is better made than the Ruger.

from nc30-06 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just find a Remington Nylon 66 and enjoy. Light weight too.

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I never owned a 10/22 but have many 22's/The better of the lot is the 552 Remington. Had it for 35 or so years and shoots l" groups at 100 yds all day. If want a tad more I go to my Marlin 22 Mag bolt,scoped for groundhogs and P/D's out west.All the new firearms all look to be made of tin cans, so if you got a older model hang on to it. A well know writer and hunter told me when teh WSM'scame out to keep my regular firearms, that the WSM was a fad that would pass away soon. I'm glad i listened to him. As fe Ammo's available for my hunting. So will stay with the 22's, 22 mag, 25-06, 270, 30-06. They will kill anything I plan to hunt in NA. I'm told that Marlin sells more 22's than all the other mfgers combined do????. Just hope no new guns come out that I must have, as with the sorry economy we now got, long distance out of state hunting is history for most of us average guys. Look for Game farms in your state to pop up. As places to hunt are few and far between now.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I always admired the looks of the nylon 66. Did they make them in different type feeds?

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Rky Mtn Hunter,
I don't know how many Marlin 22s are sold but 5yrs back I bought my son their M60 and its never stopped shootin well. One thing you must do is bring it home from the store, field strip it according to instructions and get the protective grease out of it and then lube to your liking. They're great inexpensive rifles.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Should have posted Gunslinger.

from micko77 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Bought my 10/22 Deluxe Sporter in the mid-80's, used but in good shape for around $80. I've had the extractor and its spring replaced, and a local 'smith cleaned up the trigger, all for another 20 bucks. If I've shot fewer than 20,000 round through the original barrel I'd be surprised, mostly plinking and informal target shooting, quite a bit of squirrel killed, both fox and ground types. I've had little luck with extended magazines, but don't need them anyway. All three of my sons were raised on it and an old Glenfield bolt-action .22 I had both the stock and barrel cut down by the same 'smith; he did it for 5 bucks because he wants to keep kids shooting. Great guy, named Bob White, also builds some beautiful knives. Anyway, my youngest is 16, and got a 10/22 of his own this past year. We've switched and swapped scopes from various guns over the years, and I can't honestly tell you what's on which without getting up to check, but either gun will shoot better than I can. I only wish Ruger would put sling swivel studs on all of their 10/22's not just the high-end target models. One of these days I just maybe might get me one of them newfangled barrel...

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Jim in MO: I had to switch my user name and password when F&S went to this new stupid format. Yesp, I'm now Gunslinger, but sometimes I forget and use Rocky Mtn Hunter. Hope you well. TAlk later Gunslinger

from t.h.e.j.k. wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Why waste all that money on rifles and ammo?
I am 14 and wasting 500$ on a gun is senseless.
Think about the value of the meat from the animals you hunt, the fun you get out of hunting and then subtract the gas money food costs repairs on your car and then the time. If it comes out at 300$ your good?

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

From news tonight, sounds as if the 2nd amd is in trouble again. Let the Mexicans kill all of each other, just stay in Mexico. I do believe we will see some new laws passed on buying guns at gun shows and flea markets. So, if any gun you looking at to buy, I suggest you buy soon. I do know that both guns and ammo is up about 40% or more depends on brand/caliber. I got a Kel-tec to carry and my neighbor has been trying for 6 months to buy one in 380 or 9mm. Dealers say that the mfger is 6 months or more behind in mfgering. For a CC firearm it is ideal, wt is 9oz and shoots well for a small gun. Love teh no levers to push or buttons to mash, just pull the trigger 7 times if needed. Be careful and don;t shoot your foot if you buy one. When hunting large game here and out West I carry a 44-40 Uberti single action that is a Jewel. Took me almost a year to get one from the dealer. Think I got enough firearms to last me, but will buy up some Ammo.I use Rem's Scricco's in the 25-06 and 30-06, a great long range bullet that does it's job, flys flat and straight. Just hope I can wear out the bbls on some of the 700's i got in 06. My Custom Made on Mauser action 06 with Turkish Walnut is my show and tell gun, but do use to hunt here at home where shots are less than 200 yds,as i decided not to scope this rifle and use the leaf's rear sights. We all need to contact out Senators and give them our feelings on firearms ASAP. The news Media is killing us gun owners. Shoot-um-straight and often. Getting Cabinfever, but Turkey season about a month away, so time to get the shotguns out and pratice a tad.

from lovetohunt wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

t.h.e.j.k.: Any money spent on a rifle or ammo is not wasted.

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Yeah, a new trigger for my Ruger would be nice, but 149.00 for one when mine didn't cost me 100.00. I've always used mine while hiking just incase I see a racoon or a coyote.

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

my nylon 66 is a mohawk 10c. it's clip fed. not sure about all the others. but they are very good rifles.

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

hey phil, that pig you shot in california wasn't a politician was it?

from philbourjaily wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Jamesti -- I didn't get close enough to the pig to talk politics. It was made of pork, though. We all like to bash California, but there is a lot of outdoors there. I left my motel in LA at 5:00 a.m., drove for an hour, bought a license at the Tejon Ranch and pulled the trigger at 7:30 am.

from dogbreeds wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

POST called Timney in tears and they also told me to be able to back the screws out several turns and have a shot at again. I would, and the cause group dropped correct in. I mention this specific only because additional customers have experienced a similar problem, and the guidelines haven’t been updated for it yet. blue heeler puppies It shouldn't scare you from this fine cause, or from adding it yourself.

It is everyone from the house's favorite rifle to shoot and perhaps though the barrel or clip is so exhausted it shoots about exactly like it did the morning I bought the idea I get absolutely no complaints. Any way you have a look at it they tend to be fun, inexpensive, cheap to shoot and just what a. 22 was that will be. The MKII pistol will be the same. God bless Payment Ruger may this individual rest in peace with all the knowledge he offers brought happiness to a great number of.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from elmer f. wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Bottom line, it needs no work and I have no desire to part with it.

from jjas wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 hours 30 min ago

Jim

from Shaky wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

what is the 10 in 10/22 for.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

The 10 is for the original ten shot magazine.

from FairChase wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from buckstopper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

To Eastern Shore

The 10 refers to the factory 10 shot rotary clip

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from kestimator wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from JCB wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

The boy was out of ammo in no time!

from jamesti wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Glad I don't have to worry about clips/mags for my Nylon 66 its butt feed!

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just find a Remington Nylon 66 and enjoy. Light weight too.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Rky Mtn Hunter,

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Should have posted Gunslinger.

from micko77 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from t.h.e.j.k. wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Why waste all that money on rifles and ammo?
I am 14 and wasting 500$ on a gun is senseless.

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from lovetohunt wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

t.h.e.j.k.: Any money spent on a rifle or ammo is not wasted.

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

phil, when did you get into rifles? i thought you would only own shotguns.

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

hey phil, that pig you shot in california wasn't a politician was it?

from dogbreeds wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago