Rifles of Interest: Remington Model 700 Custom Shop AWR II

The Gun Nuts

August 20, 2009

Rifles of Interest: Remington Model 700 Custom Shop AWR II

By David E. Petzal

The Remington Custom Shop in Ilion, NY has, over the past 30 years or so, turned out pretty guns, very accurate target rifles, and tactical rifles, but serious, high-grade working rifles were not on the menu. This all changed a year ago when the company brought in a product development manager named Carlos M. Martinez, who is a rabid hunter. Quicker than you could say “major investment in new machinery for the shop in Ilion,” there sprang forth a line of very earnest high-grade working rifles.

They are: the Alaskan Wilderness Rifle II, the North American Custom, the African Big Game, the Safari KS (for Kevlar Stock), the African Plains Rifle, and the 7 MS (Model 7 action, Mannlicher Stock). The one that made my liver quiver was the first, the AWR II, shown above.

The basis of the AWR II is a stainless-steel Model 700 action that is blueprinted (worked on by hand until it is dimensionally perfect), and fitted with a 40-X trigger (Remington’s competition trigger) that is set at 3 pounds. Next comes a stainless-steel trigger guard and floorplate, and the whole thing is topped off with a stainless-steel barrel that is hand-lapped and chambered in Ilion. (Later on, when all of the new machinery is in place, the barrels will be button rifled.) The inside of this barrel is as beautiful as Ms. Natalie Portman, shown at left. All the metal* is coated with black TriNyte, which is rustproof and everything-proof. The stock is by Bell & Carlson, and incorporates a full-length aluminum bedding block.

There are 56 calibers available, and the barrel lengths are 24 inches for standard calibers and 26 inches for magnums, which makes no sense at all. A .300 Weatherby or a 7mm STW needs 26 inches, but a .338 (which is what I asked for) can get along fine with 22 inches, and that long tube just gets in the way. I told the Remington people I wanted a 24-inch barrel and then I held my breath until my face turned purple, and the rifle arrived with a 24-inch barrel.

At 7 ½ pounds it is a light gun for a .338, but it kicks very little. This can only be due to the big, fat Super Cell recoil pad with which it’s equipped. Remington makes all kinds of extravagant claims for the Super Cell and they are apparently true.

The real surprise was the trigger. The Custom Shop says they are set at 3 pounds, but mine broke at 5 pounds, 2 ounces, with way too much sear engagement. I measured it on my old spring scale and my Lyman electric scale, and there it was—5 pounds, 2 ounces. Luckily, the 40X is an easy trigger to adjust, so in the privacy of my own home I took it down to 3 pounds. It is my considered opinion that whoever worked on this trigger needs a smart rap in the nuts to remind him of what he’s supposed to be doing.

But that was the only sour note. This AWR II is a very fussy rifle, and I had to fight it fang and claw for every load that worked, but when we agreed on something, it was well worth the trouble.

Barnes 225-grain TSX--.927”

Barnes 225-grain TSX Tipped—1.026”

250-grain Swift A-Frame--.731” (with one group that went into .224)

Swift 275-grain A-Frame--.670”**

I did not try factory ammo in the rifle. If you’re willing to pay what this gun costs and you don’t handload, there is something seriously wrong with you.

The MSRP for the AWR II is $3,530. So, the questions arise, is this just a Model 700 in fancy clothes, and it is worth all that dough? The answer to the first question is no. The AWR II retains the familiar Model 700 lines, but there is nothing in it of an off-the-assembly-line 700. It is a different gun altogether. The answer to the second question is yes. Whoever designed this rifle really knew what they were doing. Everything about it makes sense, and its performance is equal to that of any custom rifle I’ve used. If you’re looking for a bolt-action to tote through the bogs and the devil’s club, this is about as good a gun as you can get.

*The photo on the Remington website shows an AWR II with a bright bolt. This is a mistake; the bolt is black.

**When the .338 first came out, Winchester offered a 300-grain  load that was very highly thought of in Alaska as big-bear insurance. It was long ago discontinued, but the 275-grain Swift is a much tougher slug, and is what I had up the spout when I was hunting moose in brown-bear country. You can get it going at 2,450 in a .338, and 100 fps faster in a .340 Weatherby or a .338 RUM.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

DEP-
Beautiful rifle. I was very pleased when I went to the Custom Shop site and found that they are offering a lot of choices and calibers in LH configuration. I was glad to hear your opinion on a 23" barrel length for the .338, as I have gotten a lot of contrary opinion since I shortened mine from the awkwardly long length that the factory determined it had to have.

DEP

Did you crimp the Barnes TSX's and did you single load them or feed through the magazine? Just curious.

WMH

from Jason Norris wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

One of those beauties has been on my wish list since I first seen them on their website.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

To WA MtnHunter: Nope, didn't crimp, and I've never had one slip. And yes, I cycled them through the magazine.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

to rich for my blood. nice gun with great fixtures but i just can't justify the expense. oh well when i hit the lottery i will look at this great rifle once again.

Mr. Petzal

Thanks. I'm working up some 150 gr TTSX for my 7mm Weatherby and was a little unsure if I should crimp or not. I have used a Lee Factory Crimp Die on most other handloads until now. Since there is not one available for the 7mm Weatherby, I thought I would ask. From your response and others, it appears to be a waste of effort on such a cartridge. I have never crimped using an RCBS or other seating/crimp die and don't want to screw around with that pricey Weatherby brass and set back any shoulders unnecessarily.

Best regards

from focusfront wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

This is the same $3500 plastic rifle that up until now we all wrote, "Nice, but a Savage will shoot as straight and cost $2900 less."

Not this time. I love Remingtons and would give my eye teeth for that rifle. You finally got to me, Petzal. I give up. The plastic gun wins.

from shane wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Big A-frames under 3/4MOA? Don't mind me while I tremble in a corner for a while...

Don't mind me while I go get a new pair of knickers...

Holy crap.

If we could still get the 300 grainer, would it go under half?

This kind of big bad slug precision is the definition of overkill, and it never sounded so sweet.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

To Shane: The A-Frame does not have the reputation of being a tack-driving bullet, as does, say, the Nosler Ballistic Tip, but over and over, in rifles of all calibers, I've seen it turn in spectacular groups, not just good ones.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
What is your opinion on the A-Frame vs the Ballistic Tip for deer and elk?

from anderskeith@gma... wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Nice gun and a beautiful woman. You are aware I hope that Ms. Portman is a militant vegan animal rightist, though as you and I said a rather attractive one.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Thanks but I have some Remingtons and don't have need for another. As for Ms. Portman, seem to recall she is anti-hunting or anti-gun or both. I avoid her movies because of that.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Back to the $3000.00 rifle reviews...of course, I am impressed, as usual.
Nice example of barrel beauty, too, Dave.
Now, what about this "crimping" issue WA-Mtn mentions..Do I need to crimp the TSX bullets for my .35Whelen?

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Back to the $3000.00 rifle reviews...of course, I am impressed, as usual.
Nice example of barrel beauty, too, Dave.

from shane wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Funny thing is, the TSX and TTSX do have that reputation, and they print "worse".

One might notice that just about any riflemaker that has some sort of accuracy guarantee only guarantees their rifles of .30 caliber or less. This gun is a freak. What do you even do with a .338 this accurate? A bear or elk's heart is pretty big...

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

DP, I can't believe you didn't give them some grief about the floorplate. I believe I am of the same opinion as you on the gross additions of magazines and floorplates. A magazine while physical detestable on a hunting rifle atleast can be explained as having some purpose no matter how unneccessary. A floorplate on the other hand does not make sense. I mean never ever have I felt the need to spill my shells out onto the ground in rapid fashion.

from dick mcplenty wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Anybody that would pay $3500 for a phucked over rebuilt factory remington SPS in a cheap B&C stock needs piss tested immediately.

You know Remmy used to at least give you a mcmillan stock with the KS but those days are over.Now they just dispense sodomy.

Just for conversation I paid $2800 for a NULA.

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Dave, In big bear country an A-Frame is what I'd want, in any caliber, forget the new stuff. A 250gr though would seem enough and possibly the best of both worlds for a handloader. JMO

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Dave,
PS,
When I look at Ms. Portman, I would never need ask what she eats.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

DEP,
Would love to have a money tree or an oil well or hit the lotto jackpot and be able to have some of this kind of stuff. Unfortunately I work for a living and while I am not poor by any stretch of the imagination I can only dream of such stuff. After you see so many things like this the luster starts to fade and I find I don't dream about them as much. Sorry to say I don't share your enthusiasm over this obviously fine but overpriced gun. I'll pass. I won't fault anyone else for spending their $$$ on one of these or anything else in this vein. I will however be scouting gunbroker and the other usual haunts once the collections man and the credit card interest has raped the next poor schmuck.
Make mine a lefty in .270 please.

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Dr. Petzal;
My favorite cartridge is the 338 Win. I don't know if I would pay that much for a factory Remington but as you said this is certainly not a "rack grade" or off-the-shelf gun. The fact that you can get that kind of accuracy shows the quality that is present. I'll bet it feeds "like butter".
Bell and Carlson's cheap stocks don't have aluminum bedding bonded-in either.
I've never tried the Swift A-Frames, but now I'm going to. I've thought the 275's would be outstanding for bear, or anything big.
I agree, that a 338 does not need the 26" barrel of the overbore speedsters, it is a true mid-bore and you can tell that just by the powders that work best for it; like Reloader 19 and 4350 (Hodgdon, IMR, Microsoft, take your pick). These are faster powders than the stuff used in the magnum 7mm's and 6.5's. Barnes lists loads using US869 (a 50BMG powder) for the 264 Win Mag.
My own 338 has a 20" barrel and other than the noise, it is still a great performer. I've tried to chronograph some loads but the cables on my PACT are only 20' long and I can't get it far enough away to get a good reading on the bullet! I've been a little leery of putting the elecronic unit/printer in front of the firing line, but my shooting buddy who usually shoots my skyscreens just moved away, so maybe I can try it.
The 338 Win gives up a little velocity/energy to the Weatherby and the Ultramag, but it does it with far less recoil.
The priceless advantage with the 338 is that you can probably bum a few 338 cartridges off the camp cook, the bush pilot or anyone you meet on the trail, but you won't do that with the other two.
The 338 is Alaska's 270.

AKX

from ChevJames wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

I think that's pretty darn good shooting for a .338! Remington obviously has done things right! Truth be told, I'd rather have a dangerous game rifle in a Winchester Model 70 or Mauser 98 configuration; I think there really is something to "controlled feed" for such rifles. I like the idea of the TriNyte finish, however. Pure stainless is too flashy for a hunting rifle, in my humble opinion. And I like hinged floor plates, too; you can't lose a floor plate very easily, but magazines can fall out of your pocket before you can say, "Rosie O'Donnell!" Totally agree about that horrid trigger pull--what were they thinking? I'm glad Dave didn't try to pass it off like some gunwriters I know, who were apologists for bad triggers for many years. I might even end up with a rifle like that; it costs less than an Omega wristwatch. So you can never tell!

from randwarner wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

The way you compare rifles to women is simply patriotic. I like it.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around paying that much coin for a remington. Yeah, I know it is super whatever and all. I am glad after all that that we have such choices and we have a nutjob in the custom shop willing to take this project on.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

I have looked at the offerings of the Remington Custom Shop for years through their annual catalogs. Some nice rifles are done there. I got scared off a couple of years ago when I asked for a quote on an AWR in .35 Whelen. Still doesn't hurt to dream and drool. Yeah, over the rifles too.

Regulars!

See my age question on the "ANSWERS" page, please.

WMH

from yohan wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Yup,..
Agree with chevjames
Control feed / claw extractor

Not a world of expriance with things that bite back or try to squash people,.. but enough to know ,..
There ain't much time if you wreck their day ,.
and they decide that you
are the one and only,.. next project.

If Im gonna spend the money
1st choice and alaways ~
Mauser 98
Second old Model 70's (maybe new ones too )
Them Rem 700

After that,.. dosen't much matter

Also ( assuming the guy has at least one ) a good sharp rap in the nut / s is pretty dam funny and I assume ( having never employed that methoed) quite effective,. as to elevated consciousness.

Right? 30-04 & 1/2 "

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Frankly I like every aspect of this rifle. It is my kind of rifle for most of my hunting which would range from antelope to moose. The various .338's work well on all species. Get over the recoil thing and just keep shooting. Maybe DEP, Clay, and I are getting like Elmer in our old age in that the .338's over the years have shook our brains a bit loose. Back in the seventies I loved Rem-700's but hated the BDL stocks. I usually bought one and restocked it in a classic manner which made me happy until I saw something I liked better. If I needed another rifle I would consider this one although the price is steep. Does the fact that it was made for anyone who has the cash to buy it from a factory make it less a custom rifle than a similiar rifle made up by my local smith just for me? I think not.

Ishawooa

Just the opposite on the BDL stock. I took the classic stock off my 700 Classic and put an old BDL stock on and installed a Limbsaver recoil pad. I originally did that to save the original factory stock and experiment with my first attempt at glass bedding. Turns out that I like the way it fits me better. I also like the Weatherby California Monte Carlo or whatever you call them. Just 'Weatherby' I suppose. Not so much as for looks but fit and feel. The slanted cheekpiece and the cast seems to rotate the stock away from your face at recoil.

I might try to find a 9-lug Weatherby Mk V action and rebarrel to .35 Whelen with a 24 inch tube. I don't know if the Weatherby Mark V 9-lug ever came with a .30-06 sized bolt face. Or a .358 Norma mag with reduced loads should be about like the .35W. My son wants my Remington 700 anyway.

from bluegraytx wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

It never ceases to amaze me how many "sour grape" whiners and complainers post to this site every time Petzal reviews a rifle that isn't off-the-rack at WalMart. For all of you naysayers who want to brag about your hippie-era VW vans when the subject at hand is a BMW, face it, your opinion is worthless. Take the advice that your momma tried to learn ya': If you aren't contributing useful information to the discussion, then STFU.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter back in about '77 when Rem came out with the original Classic, not the annual one of a kind caliber version, but a rifle in conventional calibers, I bought one in .270 just because it had a classic stock. It even had sights on the barrel although I immediately added a scope. I finally gave it to a friend who had done a great favor for me. He has since passed away so I figure his son now has that rifle. Most folks liked the BDL stock but I had read too much O'Connor stuff to appreciate its virtues.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

I am not a Weatherby authority by any means but it does seem that at one time they did chamber the Mark V in .30-'06. I bet you would play hell finding one now plus the price would be through the roof. Most likely at the time they were marketed the dealers couldn't give them away because most folks who want a Weatherby would not be happy with a plain vanilla '06.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

RIFLE? There was a Rifle there too? Dave, you got to stop posting the chic pix, it's getting too distracting for us old farts.....

from MLH wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter - I presume you know that Lee will make a custom factory crimp die for a reasonable price. They normally just need a dummy round with bullet seated. But, seems they have probably made enough 7mm Weatherbys that you could just call them for one.

By the way, a guy in Alaska wildcatted the .375 Ruger, necking down to .35 (.358 Nukalpiaq, pronounced Nu-guth-pac). Sounds intriguing. Heard anything about it?

MLH

Yes, I knew that they would make a factory crimp die for most anything. I bet a 7mm Rem mag would work with the appropriate spacer washer on the shell holderencircling the cartridge to compensate for the additional overall length of the 7 WBY.

My concern is that IS a crimp even necessary for such a round? Seems to be a mixed camp on this one....

ishawooa

I think they did chamber a 9-lug standard cartridge action. I once saw a fine looking .270 Win Mark V glossy stock and all at a Wal-mart. No, it was not a Vanguard because that's what I thought at first until I handled it and examined. Darn heavy, too. I emailed a friend that I think had a .30-06 Mark V synthetic, but he has not replied.

WMH

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

A good friend of mine has a Left-hand Mark V Weatherby in 30-06. It has the glossy, fluted, cheekpiece, rollover classic California stock with the white spacers and everything. A very pretty rifle that he hunts everything with from deer to moose to big bears. So at one time Weatherby did make such a rifle, I'm assuming in right-hand as well.

AKX

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

AHHHH, BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!!!!!
Now, you figure out whether I am referring to the rifle or Ms. Portman, who looks very customized indeed.
Thanks, Dave, for the occasional pinup. A straight diet of guns, shooting, & hunting in this blog without a little diversion would eventually become stale.
I'm ready for another combination exquisite gun & Hillary/Obama/Pelosi/(the list is endless) bashing.
Michael

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

I I cannot justify the cost as compared to a Classic 700 CDL in 30-06. or my 25-06.Both have taken game beyond my normal distance I feel confortable. However, I do wish the trigger system on mine was adjustable. It is in excess or 5 lbs and I would prefer 2-3Lbs. Remington assemble line guns have proved worthy for a number of years, mostly a bad gun is teh shooters fault. Try different amo and see if that helps.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Dang I hadda go back to realize there was even a Rifle up there! Ms. Portman was welcome eye candy after last weeks Whale in the Blue Pant suit!

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Wa Mnthunter, I have never crimped my 7mm WBY and havent had a problem and if you need brass I can get for $24 and if I cuold suggest a load for you if you dont mind. This load works great in my Wby it is as follows 66 grains of IMR 4831 with either a Partion or Accubond.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Sorry Mnt hunter forgot to tell you bullet weight is 160.

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

I do like this rifle, but I also feel like there's way more bang for the buck available from a large number of custom rifle makers. and of course semi custom. NULA, HS Precision, Nosler, Montana Rifle man etc. I won't name any of the 6-7 true custom builers that I can think of who will do this rifle for you but posibbly better, and they certainly will provide more personalized service (No breathholding to get the barrel length you want...) But it is sweet, and I find I own more rifles of this type than any other (HS or MCMillan stock, 1 B&C-blueprinted 700 or 7- and a great barrel- all done up in cerakote) I am glad to see that remington continues to offer some good options for the hunter who is doing something other than walking out to the deerstand on the back 40.

from Bernie wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter:

I have handloaded for a Mark V in 7mm Weatherby since 1965 and never have had use a crimp in seating bullets. My die set is a Pacific...don't even know if that company is still in business. I've used a number of bullets but my favorites are the 154-grain Hornady Spire-Point and the 175-grain Nosler Partition, both with H-4831 powder. The 160 Nosler also is excellent, but for some reason the 175 shoots better in my rifle--26" Douglas barrel. I bought some 160 Swift A-frames this year but haven't tried them yet. In any case, I've taken several dozen animals with this cartridge over the years, including grizzly bear, mountain goat, two black bears, about 10-12 elk, some deer and antelope and seven animals in Africa. It is one fine cartridge!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

At the listed price, this gun should talk, listen and pull the trigger when you got ythr cross wires on your target. Sounds to me as a reworked ( what is unknown) 700. I got several 700's in different calibers and do the best job I'm able to shoot. At 200 yds will put 3 shots within 2" each time if fire the gun,afer it cools down. I will just take the $$$ this new gun cost and buy my Licenses and expenses to the Northern Rockies for a great hunt. As the saying goes, it the improvrements no readly available to the average gun owner, then where is the hidden stuff. About time the major mfges stress preformance on their firesms and not high cost. I own a Italian custom built on a mauser action. Gun has dble set trigger, a solid rib from action to muzzle about 5/8" solid rib about 1/4" wide and heigth.Gun has 3 screws to hold bbl action to the Turkish wood, The Floor plate slides to and fro. Bbl is 26" long , raided cheek piece,a really beautiful gun. I did not want it drilled and tapped as planned to use for short shots of about 100 yds,so the Mauser portion is in tact.Gun is for sell, and a lot cheaper than the new Remington. Anyone interested, please advise as I have a T/C Venture eye-balling me . can buy l5 for the price of this gun. For my persoal use,will continue to use my 700's and the new MArlinXL7 I just bought.Now there is a bargin by. Appears to be a Model 70 thro-out. But the custom maker did not list a name only #s's and initials. in my book a Rem Custon shop is ample for most of us unless we rollig in dough.I just need/want more hunting time with guns i own. But no doubt, Rem will sell some of them. A Rem fits me fine and lve the grip and solid Walnut. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from dick mcplenty wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Does anybody crimp outside of factory and possibly the AR,M14,pistol crowd?Hell the reloading manuals don't even worry about it.Leave it to the internet.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Remington’s always been my favorite out of the box firearm and it’s nice to know they finally replaced there coffee pot and found Carlos M. Martinez!

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

I use Lee's Factory Crimp Die on everything I reload. It keeps the bullet where it belongs, not into the case, not out of the case.
It helps with something called "bullet-pull". In theory it keeps your shots more consistent because the amount of force it takes to launch the bullet into the rifling is uniform from shot-to-shot. The thing I like is bullets don't fall out while I'm hunting or fall into the case when I'm shooting, as can happen with some long boat-tail types.
My two-cents.
AKX

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

AlaskanExile, I also crimp(Lee Factory Crimp) my reloaded .308 win rounds It gives a more uniform pressure and I feel better. I don't crimp my varmit rounds like the.204 . I bought a set of dies for the 7.62x54R and it came with the Lee crimp dies... Just feel good about it and believe it should be done on hunting rounds other than small single shot rounds.

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

if Remington can add its 40-X trigger to the discontinued single-shot XR-100, which was not an expensive custom item, as far as I can remember(the rifle, I mean), then why not make it standard for all Remington CF rifles, Models 700 and Seven alike? or at least the higher grades?

from jbird wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I don't mind Dave reviewing guns I'll never own. This gun seem pretty pricey for what you get, but I probably wouldn't think that if I was pointing it at an angry brown bear. I would be seriously pissed if I paid that much coin for a gun and it's 3# trigger came set at 5.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

AlaskanExile
idduckhntr
sarg
Bernie
dick mcplenty

Thanks for your advice and comment(s). I too have lightly crimped most loads wit ha Lee Factory Crimp die with positive results so far. But if it is not necessary for the 7mm Weatherby, I'll try without it.

I had it out at the range this weekend and it shot the 139 gr SP and 154 Interbonds just fine until the barrel heated up, then started pulling left and down. I think I need to shoot slower to fine tune. When that barrel gets heated up, it seems to only take a couple of rounds to get it right back up to HOT even after a cool down period.

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Clay, I feel as you do about the Rem. 700,"out of Box". I've Had my 700ADL in .308 since about 1985-86. and would not trade for anything. Don't get me wrong, There's a lot out there I like but not more than this one. It has the deep finish on stock and probable could use a trigger upgrade but it's my go-to gun for deer.

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Dave, didn't pay a lot of attention to the girl, got one here at home,but don't have one of those rifles.

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Dave, ment to say that I've had one of those girls for 47 yrs. now.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

The price of a gun does not mean it will kill anything pointed at. Most guns will shoot somewhere, but now and then we are able to gt our hands on a sure thing firearm. If and when you do, keep it and use it. $$$$ don;t enter the picture to a excellent shooting fiearm. I;ve owned, shot 300.00 guns that did better than a 3K dollard gun. So do not let teh price fool you into thing the hight price is gonna get that bull/Deer, thats up to you and the gun.Find the correct gun adn pratice enought with it to know where each shot fired is going. For additional pratice to kep you in form, buy a bolt 22 mag and fire away. I always run a box of factory ammo thru my guns I plan to hunt with, but then switch to cheopo guns and ammo for the pratice. Do;t forget teh scope, a wally world scope want work long,so buy a med price quality scope and Leupold base/mounts and you all set for most NA big game. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Didn't someone once post here, "It's not the arrow, but the Indian", or words to that effect...:-)

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

WaMtn Hunter; BelieveI read that statement here also. ep it's the prson at the Butt end, everthing being equal. Price means zilt unless you can shoot to point of Aim. O, we all can buy high $$$ hunting stuff,but unless we know how to use it, it;s wothless. Guns kinda like Women, some days they picky, others peaches and cream. Shoot-um-staight and often. Seasons gonna be opening soon in some states, we all best get ready.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Gunslinger

How right you are! Seven short weeks until deer and regular waterfowl opens here. I dragged out my gear boxes today. Also putting the finishing touches on the Remington 700 stock repair. That old stock has seen better days, but it holds a straight shooting barreled action just fine! I'll dink around with my Weatherby's and Ruger 77, but that old M-700 is the one that has always hauled the mail!

You have a good day, I've got to run the big dogs before dark out here on the left coast.

Best regards,
WMH

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Our B/P season opens on Nov.8th, but Bow season opens 9-l5-09. I'm not a Bow hunter as cannot pull one back. So will have to wait a while till the gun season arrives. As time is flying will be here soon.Got all my seed in the ground, not need some showers and few hot days. We have seen some nice bucks around, just hope the poachers don;t find them before season opens.Sure gonna miss teh Rockies this fall, but with the economy in the pits jut was unable to make it this year, plus I felt lousy at application time and not a lot better yet. But do think can hunt here at home. At least can get more rest. Take care. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

First deer rifle I ever used was my dads Rem 700 270. I just bought a new Rem 700 30.06 last March, and I love it. I think they are the greatest, but it is a personal opinion. I have the trigger pull at 3.5 pounds, which it came out of the box with. I was surprised because it seems that they almost always are more than that.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Gunslinger

I hope you feel better come hunting season. Elk hunts are tiring at best. I feel that I need a weeks's vacation after the Colorado hunt to recover! Get on some vitamins and natural supplements and get ready for next year.

best regards

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter:
Thought I was improving till this past Monday, then the same old problem came back. call it Position Vertigo. While sitting or laying down all is fine, but get dizzy whenevr I move about. Going to Dr tomorrow and get another treatment and a refill on the Rx I'm o. Sure got to get well by Hunting season. O, seed we planted Sat are up about 2' tall and thicjk as fleas. Hope the deer enjoy them as they matue about first of Nov. Weather permitting. Back to this 3500.00 gun, for the life of me, I cannot understand why a 700 cost so much. What all can be done to make it shoot any better. Now and hen a fluje gets thru the line, but as a rule most I;ve used are ok. My 700 CDL with 24" bbl using Rem Scirocos l80 gr bullets ( all shops areshort on them now) but mine gun will put 3 shots that a silver dollar will cover at 200 yds, I could not ask for a better gun at ny price,same applies for my 30yr old 700 25-06 Classic.I did buy a Marlin XL7 tohaul about o my 4wheeler and it shoots almost as good, but the bbl is only 22" and i don;t expect the same results at 200 yds as the 700 with 24 " bbl.I just got to point did not want teh limbs and small trees to beat up my 700. I am a gun nut and like nice guns, thats why I bought the Custon built on a Mauser action and I hate the gun. If can find a buyer or trade for a custom built on a 700 action it will go. Just hope I can get out in the woods come season and get a nice buck, we've seen seveeal, not hope they stay around till season. Take care Shoot-um-straight and often.PS;I had a gun built on Mauser action once and it did not shoot like I wanted, so had it rechambered and rebored to a 30-06, has open sights and good for my eyes to 100 yds.If hunting the woods here I use it or the 30-30, but where we have open fields the 700 goes. Regardless of gun, the man/woman at Butt end makes it a worthy gun or not all else eing eqal. Savage proved that years ago.Have you seen the Marlin XL7 and the T/C Venture? if not make a point to look at them. First syn stocked guns that tthe stock fits like a glove.And teh price is from 300 to 500 hundred bucks.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Gunslinger

I'll take a look at them first chance I get. Take care of yourself. Looking forward to some more stories down the road

Best regards

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I have many stories I believe other huntes would enjoy. Will send them as time goes on. Now, I'm moreconcerned in my health than anything else. Got a Letter from Colorado today, they got me a Bull ans Mlie tag if interested in NW Co. If I felt as ifI could be able to go come Nov, I would send the check Moday,but now am unsure and I can;t gt a refund on plane fares. Got 2 $l50.00 Vouchers for this year from NWA that I want be using. Just hope I am able to hunt here this year and hopefully my problem will cease. Take care; Shoot-um-straight and often. One short story; I had used a 742 for 20 yrs and always had one in the chamber when was hunting. I was hunting in NC Colorado for Lopes and the guide would not allow me to have one in thechamber. So we road a l/2 day and found a herd of about 20 nice Lope, one a BC.I got out of the ruck and got my sticks out and had teh cross hairs steady, pulled the trigger, Click. I forgot that I did not have a riund in the chamber.You know the racket a 742 makes when you load from the magazine by the slide bolt. Well my Lope high-tailed it away.Needless to say, the Outfitter and I had a word of prayer at lunch and I had a different guide the remainder of the hunt. Nevrsaw another shootable Lpe. Thats when I bought a Bolt gun, as can slide one in the chamber without any noise and be ready. But here at home and in MT when I leave my Vehice, the gu has one in the chamber. I've hunted long enough to becareful of my target and that split second can mean success of failure.What Poeded me off was , I had hunted with this outfitter several years and never was a problem with one in the chamber. I just think this guy wanted to show his A--. and he did. Did I send you my first Deer hunt with me wearing Coveralls? If not tell me and I will re-send.Onre last item then to bed.My Son of 53 yrs and I have hunted together since he was 10 yrs old. Weboth have killed many deer but never on the sae day. 2 yrs ago and lst year, we both killed deer not 10 minutes apart. First time was about l0 Am, 2nd year was 5 minutes pror to dark. Mine is a 9 pointer and is at the Taxi now his was a 7 and he has his back. Mine was the first deer i ever killed with a B/P gun. The first deer I killed with it was a 4" oak tree, then it got a Nikon scope. I use the Powerbelt 230 gr Spiral point and l00 grs of Pyrodex Pellets. Zeroed at 200 yds, killed my 9 pointer at l70 yds. Ok for tonight. More Later.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Apparently the Rockie Mtn states did not sell out of licenses this year. I got a e-mail today for a friene of mine in Colorado and he has tags if I want to come out. O I wish I could, but I'm not in shape to make the trip I'm afraid/ Also my contact and guide in MT called he also hs tags available for Elk/Mule Deer. Now when I can;t go, got plenty of licenses. A pity I can't go this year, but just don;t think I'm gonna be in shape to make a 2 week hunt. Will just have try and get well for next year.In meantime, will hunt here as we have seen some nice bucks and a spotted deer. Hopefully opening day of B/P can get a trophy. I've killed my share, but yet when i see a deer my heart starts beating a lot faster. I'm not one of thee hunters who can wait all day for a animal to get just in the right position. When I feel I can make a clean kill I fire. My last 3 deer were shot looking at me and I aimed at the white patch, down they went. The longer I wait on a shot the more nervous I get, so I try as soon as possible to get that shot off. Gonna get and read a while. I love the old Western Novels written of the l800's and early 1900's. Always wantd to be a Cowboy,, so now I do my Cowboying by book. Shoot-um-straight and often.One last item. All those years of wanting to be a cowboy last year I finally bought me a sure Cowboy handgun. A Uberti in 44-40. Now I plan to kill a deer with it. I hunt from a ground blind and should be easy to get off a good shot.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

the 2 articles above were suppose to be addressed to WAMtnhunter, Sorry about that Shoo-um-straight and very often. .

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Gunslinger-
Don't just write for WA Mtnhunter, everybody enjoys your posts and stories. LMAO about the coveralls and was mad at the s**t-for-brains guide about the chambered round, or lack thereof. Write some more.
crm

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Hey Gunslinger,

Good posts. I always appreciate your stories and advice. Yes, there are still plenty of leftover elk tags in most units in NW Colorado. I was unsure of my plans and did not apply for deer in the CO draw and there were no leftover deer tags in Unit 13, so I am SOL on deer down there this year. My buddy has a deer tag, but maybe if we can tag out early enough, we can haul it back to WA and I can get in a few days of mulie hunting in the regular season since the WA regular season and CO 2nd rifle season are the same dates this year. If not, I'll hit the late whitetail hunt in late November. I'm also planning to hunt whitetails in Alabama in December with my elk hunting buddy from back home. I did not get a deer last year. After I got my raghorn bull elk, I got a little too picky with the deer and ended up eating my CO tag. Well, at least this year I won't spend $346 to NOT shoot a deer!

Good luck in B/P season!

from O Garcia wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

The Rem700 certainly is one of the greatest rifle designs of all time. And no other rifle has a better reputation for accuracy. I know, I know, out of the box, the Savage 11X, the Browning A-Bolt, the Howa1500/Wby Vanguard (they're the same rifle), the various Sakos and Tikkas, the Lakelander, Blaser, etc. are probably more accurate. But none of those will equal the Rem700's reputation among accuracy specialists, whether varmint shooters or benchrest shooters or snipers.

Now, if only Remington somehow decided to base the Model 700 on the lines of the late Model 725 instead of the 721, it would have been prettier too. But I guess it was meant to be this way, those who love pretty, sleek, classic rifles will always have the Winchester or Mauser.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I hate snakes of any kind, Learned a way to avoid them from crawling in your bedroll if were sleeping on the ground. Take a GRASS rope about l" in Diam and lay it about l foot or 2 away from your bedroll. If a snake crawles un to the rope, the bristles of the rope scratches his belley or he thinks i may be another snake and he will leave your area. Give it a trym it works. Shoot-un-straight and often,

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

WAMtnhunter: I;ve hunted unit l3 had not lick. SAw many does and a few 2's but nothing for wall hanging. Yep, after you kill a Elk, A deer is not as important for a few years, then it all comes back to the beginning. I love both, but had I felt well and the economy had improved i would be going to C0 pr MT. Will eat these 2 $l50.00 Vouches I got from NWAirlines. Hopefully can go next year. Will try to find another Ranch for Elk out in MT,but cost is great. This yaar will just concentrate of a nice Buck here at home. Now, we go many, but also lots of Poaches. I did hit a streak of luck, go permission to post and hunt l00 acres that joins my farm. Now can get the game warden to help me keep the poaches at bay. Gonna get, reading a book thats hard to put aside. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

O Garic: I've hunted with Remigton since my 2nd big game rifle which was a 94 in 30-30. To me the Remington fits my style of hunting, and never had any problems with them. Have killed many Elk/Deer/Lopes with the 700's and if had to sell all my guns but one, I would keep the 700 CDL in 06 with a Nikon Monarch and Leupold DDT Mounts. When a old cogger like me at 74 yrs old can kill a Mulie at 345 yds in Mt it must be the gun and I got the Lopein Wy with the 700 25-06 at 325 yds.So I cannot give enoughcredit to Re for my style of hunting,. I did buy this year a MArlin XL7 for my 4 wheeler as the bushes and limbs begun to muttle my mind. I like nice good looking finishes on my guns, both old and new. Take care. Shot-um-straight and often.

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

for that price...i would expect a mcmillan stock and an aftermarket barrel from hart or shilen or the like. also, if a custom rifle won't print 1/4 moa groups, i wouldn't be able to justify it.
i mean lets face it, i can usually get any remington factory 700 to shoot 1/2 moa without much problem with my handloads.

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

I guess if you have the money to afford it, then do it. But like I always say, for me, that is a lot of money to be spending on a rifle. Also, if you do not handload, there is no sense in even buying the rifle.

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Dr. Petzal;
Bell and Carlson's cheap stocks don't have aluminum bedding bonded-in either.
The 338 is Alaska's 270.

AKX

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

DEP,
Make mine a lefty in .270 please.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

AHHHH, BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!!!!!
Michael

from Jason Norris wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal

Best regards

from shane wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Don't mind me while I go get a new pair of knickers...

Holy crap.

If we could still get the 300 grainer, would it go under half?

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from anderskeith@gma... wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Back to the $3000.00 rifle reviews...of course, I am impressed, as usual.
Nice example of barrel beauty, too, Dave.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Back to the $3000.00 rifle reviews...of course, I am impressed, as usual.
Nice example of barrel beauty, too, Dave.

from shane wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Dave,
PS,
When I look at Ms. Portman, I would never need ask what she eats.

from ChevJames wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from randwarner wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

The way you compare rifles to women is simply patriotic. I like it.

Regulars!

See my age question on the "ANSWERS" page, please.

WMH

from yohan wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Yup,..
Agree with chevjames
Control feed / claw extractor

There ain't much time if you wreck their day ,.
and they decide that you
are the one and only,.. next project.

If Im gonna spend the money
1st choice and alaways ~
Mauser 98
Second old Model 70's (maybe new ones too )
Them Rem 700

ishawooa

WMH

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

AKX

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Sorry Mnt hunter forgot to tell you bullet weight is 160.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

from AlaskanExile wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

My two-cents.
AKX

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Gunslinger-
crm

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
What is your opinion on the A-Frame vs the Ballistic Tip for deer and elk?

from Bernie wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

sarg
Bernie
dick mcplenty

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Dave, ment to say that I've had one of those girls for 47 yrs. now.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from dick mcplenty wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

Just for conversation I paid $2800 for a NULA.

-6 Good Comment? | | Report