Cermele: How Was Your Long Weekend?

The Lateral Line

May 26, 2009

Cermele: How Was Your Long Weekend?

By Joe Cermele

So it's back to work today. Yes, I too am pining for a few more days off after a most eventful Memorial Day weekend. Though you can certainly count on crowds, this weekend has always been the official kick-off of the serious fishing season for me. Case in point, former F&S Intern Rick Bach (below) came down to Jersey, as I told him Memorial Day always coughs up the first big stripers of the season. I wasn't lying. We boated bass to 41 pounds. Those fish were not around one week ago. I'm really glad they showed up, because a few bass fillets on the grill taste better than standard Memorial Day burgers and dogs if you ask me.

Likewise, when hatches are a little slow to start in the spring around here, I can always count on things perking up Memorial Day weekend, though you usually have to get your kicks early...by 11 a.m. my favorite trout holes are swimming holes, and my favorite riffles are suddenly tube runs. At least that's the case when it's hot in the East like it was this year.

Did you take advantage of the long weekend to fish, or do you stay away from the crowds? Let us know how you did, or what kind of yahoos you encountered while trying to do it.

JC

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Thursday and Friday I did a solo kayak trip from Elkins to Parson W.V. Caught tons of trout and bass on fly and spin. Spent the next couple days in the mountains with the Tenkara slaying native brookies. Those rods are for real.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I managed to drive out past the crowds this year and went early so I could be off the water by the time the yahoos got out. Caught speckled trout, red drum, and flounder inshore Friday and Saturday. Went offshore and caught dolphin Sunday and spent Monday recovering from the butt whooping swell we dealt with all day Sunday and to catch up on some much needed sleep.

from -Bob wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Walked across the street, dropped my canoe into the Neshaminy for the first time this season, and spent a few hours playing with the bluegills. Had the whole place to myself. It was a beautiful thing.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Nice catch. Cape May Is awesome striper fishing. Spending my week vacationing in the outer banks of NC. The fishing is supposed to be great though i'm not finding that. The pond fishing has been ok. Ocean has been quiet

from Wags wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Spent the whole weekend in the Annapolis, MD. area. I may have to make a return trip and hook up with you to fish the Chesapeake Bay. Never really considered it much til I saw it, looks like there would be all kind of fish to chase.

from Bigbasskoester wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

kinda boring... living in NY city all u get is finicky mutant bluegills

from snowninja wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Went Sunday, caught 15 or so crappie, and a couple stripers, then went monday and my wife caught 6 or 7 and I snagged a sunfish. Somehow, i caught him right on top of his head and buried the hook.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

friday found me fishing for bedded up bass in the afternoon and almost all saturday I fished for bass then some fly fishing for bluegill and crappie later in the day. Sunday I went to a memorial service and out to lunch with my grandpa who served in vietnam. Sunday night we cooked out and tried to watch the race. Monday I went northern fishing and had some success with some new baits I tried.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Ahh...nice to hear we all spent our time off wisely

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Did some beach fishing and caught some baby black tip sharks... Don't know why but they just loved the live bait I had on the line.

from scottprice wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

NJ stripers...cant beat em

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Fly fishing for some Steelys, got one on a black bugger, lost about 5 throwing bunny flys made for pike, so now I'll have to tie up some smaller ones.

from HAMBONE wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Hit Cape Cod with the family. Caught stripers all weekend long from the surf on short rods and light tackle. Nothing better than having your kids catch 15-20 lb keepers. Still grinning today!

from nathan.grell wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

My wife and i went to Kentucky Lake on a camping/fishing trip for the weekend hoping to stock the freezer with fillets, we did that and more. Not only did we wear out the keeper bass we caught some that were close to 5 lbs. plus have almost enough fillets for a fish fry now. 2 weeks ago the only thing we were catching out of that lake were small bass between 10-14 inches, i think your right..... the keepers come out around memorial day weekend!

from snuffy wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Looks like you were one of the crowd in front of IBSP!!!
That looks like old barney? They killed there sunday wiped out a good lot of breeders!!!! NJ should put a limit on those big girls. Same thing happened about the same time last season. Before you know it we'll be right back in the 1970's wondering why there are no stripers!!!!

from Bigbasskoester wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Ahh...nice to hear we all spent our time off wisely

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from HAMBONE wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from nathan.grell wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from snuffy wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Looks like you were one of the crowd in front of IBSP!!!