Merwin: Do Pro Bass Tournaments Promote the Sport of Fishing?

The Lateral Line

October 28, 2009

Merwin: Do Pro Bass Tournaments Promote the Sport of Fishing?

By John Merwin

That’s a tough question, and some of the answers I’ve gotten over the years might surprise you.

There’s no question that all the media buzz around pro-bass anglers and their tournaments has made them hugely visible. Put really big bucks into a fishing contest, and the television cameras will roll. But is it the fish that count? Or is it the money?

A few weeks ago I had a long talk with Denny Brauer, a true gentleman and one of the best-known of all the pro-bass guys. I asked him about the question-and-answer sessions he sometimes gets into with regular fisherman, including young ones.

So what kind of questions does he get? “People want to know how to get sponsors,” he told, rolling his eyes a little. “Or, where do I get a shirt like that?” Notably, questions about how to fish more successfully or which lures to use under what conditions aren’t at the top of the list.

It seems to me that people are buying into the marketing. And marketing is not fishing. But what do you think?

from jbird wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I think it's positive for the sport. Outdoorsmen need more members in their ranks, no matter what their reasons. Some folks might be interested at first because of the money, but I don't think there is a "pro" fisherman out there that doesn't LOVE to fish.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

The first time I saw a bass tournament was in Missouri. Heard what sounded like a drag boat coming and saw 2-3 guys hunched over to get out of the wind and, I suppose, get more speed and cut drag, roaring by me Hell bent for election. Later I asked a friend what I'd seen and he said a bass fishing tournament competitor. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Like most folks, I fish for relaxation.

from shane wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Anything that gets it out there on TV, the internet, whatever, helps.

from Big O wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

look at what NASCAR has done for the sport, or is it a sport ? Cause' like has been said "It's not a sport if you can smoke while doing it ".

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

at least people are getting to see fishing as it happens. and you have to admit seeing these guys pull in fish after fish is appealing and makes you want to get out there yourself and get better at it.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I think it does as much as Rowland Martin, Bill Dance and the Redfish tournies.

But as in most tournies $$, Sponsors, Free gear and tv is the allure

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Absolutly all We anglers are trapped at a time in the marketing nets.After all We live in a consumer society
and fishing tournaments aren't the exception.
Finally Yes,I need a pay check for do what I love.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I'll bet that a good number of pro bass fisherman would love the sport just as much even if they didn't have their jobs.I met Buzz Ramsey and he was a great guy and you could tell he has lots of passion for the great sport of fishin' despite all the money,fans,free gear,and sponserers.

from buckeyeben wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

alot like alot of pro sports it could turn into just commercial hobby but it does help keep it going none the less do to that theres dwindling numbers in fishing

from jbird wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Anything that gets it out there on TV, the internet, whatever, helps.

from Big O wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I think it does as much as Rowland Martin, Bill Dance and the Redfish tournies.

But as in most tournies $$, Sponsors, Free gear and tv is the allure

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

and fishing tournaments aren't the exception.
Finally Yes,I need a pay check for do what I love.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago