Cermele: The Latest in Fishing Blades

The Lateral Line

January 20, 2010

Cermele: The Latest in Fishing Blades

By Joe Cermele

As you might imagine, I find myself a little more at home at the ICAST fishing industry show, but here I am with the rest of my team walking the SHOT Show floor in Las Vegas. Since I've been here I've lovingly caressed many a fine rifle, and even shot a few rounds of trap (I'm acutally not bad. I can do more than cast). But I've always got an eye out for fishy wares. Last year I reported on some cammo rods. This year I decided to visit the booth of each knife manufacturer to see what blades coming out in 2010 would pique angler interest.

Pictured here is the Pacific Salt Black Blade from Spyderco. It's the latest to join their Salt family, and I must say I am a big fan of the line. Mr. Merwin even brought it up in a post not too long ago, and Tim Romano from the Fly Talk blog chimed in, also voicing his love of the Salts. There's really no big secret to why they're great fishing knives: They stay razor sharp and won't rust. I mean throw one in the ocean, pick it up a year later, and it'll be clean.

But this isn't the only cool new knife I found. Benchmade, Leatherman, and Buck are all releasing some killer cutlery (and other tools) for the fisherman. Click here or on the photo to see a gallery of my findings. And let me know what you like. -- JC

from jamesti wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

love the knives. the big thing i've noticed is how expensive they are nowadays. might as well go out and buy 5 new rods.

from rjw wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

All the knives are cool.
Folding Buck Filet Knife would be a good thing to pack, and the pint size spork (Eat N'Tool) would be easier to carry than a Victoronix kitchen set, plus a lot cheaper.

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Cool Knived,but the prices are outragious,I started making my own from,diamond tipped concrete cutoff blades,they ar working for me.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Ho Hum. I'm repeating myself about the new stuff. Did NOT see anything that makes me want to replace my yellow handle Case XX.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I reckon if I was a saltwater guy I might buy one of those knives. But I'm not. I gut deer and clean fish. It's tough to beat the Finn blade for either. I have it in the Case XX and Ka bar knife.

It the perfect blade to get a deer from the field to the freezer and will also filet a fish.

from cgfrisch@bellso... wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

F&S did a report on knives a while back and made me feel very good about my Benchmade Mel Pardue purchase. Buy them on ebay for the best price.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago