Cermele: He Said Wal-Mart, She Said Target

The Lateral Line

January 22, 2009

Cermele: He Said Wal-Mart, She Said Target

By Joe Cermele

Honest Angler

If you live in America, chances are good that you have a Wal-Mart and a Target within spitting distance of each other. And if you have a special lady in your life, chances are good she prefers to shop at Target. The reason for this, so I've been told, is that the quality of wares like throw pillows, linens, and cappucino makers is far better than those at the Wally World. Do you know how Target makes room for all the Martha Stewart collections? They shrink man-zones, like the fishing section shown at left, to a pitiful end cap of shame. Take a look at the Wal-Mart fishing section below.

I'll admit that Wal-Mart can be a mess, and sometimes if you spend a few hours there in shorts, a T-shirt, and flip-flops, you kinda feel like you need a shower when you get home. I think what I really enjoy about Wal-Mart is that it's often in such disarray, it's more like a flea market. You never know exactly what you'll find if you flip over a few loose items.

Honest Angler

I patronize local mom-and-pop shops as often as possible, but when mom and pop are asleep, God bless a store where I can buy barrel swivels at 11 p.m. And believe me, I have on those nights when I need to rig 40 trolling lures for a 3 a.m. departure. I'm curious to know if you stay away from Wal-Mart entirely, use them as a main source of tackle buying or, like me, use them primarily as a bail-out in emergency situations. Or if you prefer Target, tell us why.

JC

from silsbyj wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Wally World....no contest. I too use them as a last minute bail-out when I need something for the next days hunt or fishing trip. The Target where I live is in way worse shape than any of the 3 Walmarts, although you get to see waaaaaaaay more interesting people at Walmart.

from Blue Ox wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

There's no shame in perusing the local Wally world at 3am, especially if you enjoy night-fishing. Need a snack? Bait? Need to refill the cooler? Wally world it is.
The only thing that bugs me about my local Wall is the fact that I'm usually the only legal U.S.citizen in the place at any given time.
Any man who WILLINGLY goes to 'Tar-zhay' needs to stay his ass in the kitchen.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I do my best to patronize the mom & pop stores but when the chips are down there's always a Wallyworld within spitin' distance.

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I get a lot of my hunting and fishing supplies from Wal-Mart and Dicks. I shop at Dicks when they have good sales, and Wal-Mart because they're always cheap. All of the mom and pop's places are overpriced and under stocked. Don't even get me started on Gander Mountain.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

After having gone to a few weddings lately where the "present list" or bridal registration or whatever they call it today was at Target I have realized it is no place for a man. EVER. The wife goes to the front desk to get the list and I say "I'll be in sporting goods" even though we both know the routine from K-mart, Wally World, etc... only to discover there is no sporting goods section at Target. A handfull of useless objects I could break before we ever get out of the parking lot is all they have. I don't know why they even bother to try.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I haven't been in Target in years. Wally World I visit nearly everyday for everything from Sub Sandwiches to 28 ga ammo.

from jjas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Walmart and public restrooms have a lot in common.

Both are dirty, both are usually crowded and I don't really want to be in either one, but when you have to go, you have to go.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

jjas...that might be the analogy of the year my friend!

from Chris Carpenter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Walmart all for sure cheap stuff low prices. academy when they have sales.

from jay wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I remember a time when you could purchase guns and ammo from Target, and their hunting and fishing isles were respectable. I can't comment on whether they are anti gun/hunting. I would think if Target was making money on hunting supplies they would still be carrying them. I think most CEO's (and company boards) are more concerned about making their bonus than any personally held beliefs.

from kaanimal wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Don't forget, Walmart has teamed up with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns. They will video tape your gun purchase and keep records of the sale.

from HillbillyDeluxe wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Thank god I' not married (and don't plan on it yet) so I don't have to be dragged into stores like Target. Wally's is the best place to go period.

from bnorth1 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

you couldn't be more right when it comes to places like Target. And to no surprise my fiancée, like most women, loves the place. But I go in with her anyway, because I know when I get the opportunity to drag her into the nearest sporting goods store, I'll want some leverage when I want to stay longer.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Yea, Wally world is WAYYYY better, execpt they don't sell too many flies, but they have cheap but good poppers.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Del I've never gone into Wallyland with the intention of buying a sub sandwich.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

LMAO! I felt so bad I gave you a point.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I got this from Snopes.com. It is but one example of Target's screwed up charity policy.

Target has decided to NOT allow the Salvation Army to ring the bell for the holiday season. I love the bell ringers and what they stand for. Each person gives up their time to collect money for the needy. The holiday season is the perfect time to remind us to share our blessings with others. I try to give something to each bell ringer, no matter how small I know the Salvation Army will put it to good use.

Target announced this week that Salvation Army bell-ringers will no longer be allowed in front of their stores during the holiday season. The retailer tells Channel 8 Eyewitness News, "...Like many nationwide retailers, Target Corporation has a long standing no solicitation policy that must be applied across all of its stores." The Lancaster County Salvation Army says there's no hard feelings, just a rethinking of ways to keep the kettles out and the bells ringing. Nearly a quarter of all donations came from Lincoln's two Target stores. Last year, the Lincoln/Lancaster County Salvation Army raised more than a 120-thousand dollars during their kettle drive.

I will try to find a good source for Target's actual written policy. The best I remember they will only allow their money to support five causes or so. Recently I read a story of Target refusing to give money to a group of injured vets. I'll see if I can find those stories.

WALLY WORLD ALL THE WAY!

from peter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

i love wal mart and now hate target

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

The two middle paragraphs are from snopes. I wrote the rest.

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Target is for the metrosexual male shopper, driving a $60K non-USA made SUV. walmart shoppers drive trucks

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Out here in flyover country the local Wally is about our only option other than a long drive. The closest Target is about 60 miles away and definitely deals with a different clientele than Wally. From what I have seen in Target they couldn't hold a candle to Wally as far as fishing and hunting stuff. That is not sayin much though...

I have seen everyting in and around a Wal Mart that you can imagine. I have seen 2 buck Antelope grazing on the islands in the parking lot of the Wally in Billings Montana, I've seen turkeys roosting on one in Texas and a streaker run though one in my town. I have also meet some pretty nice people.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Well said jjas, but let's not overlook the wonderful opportunity Walmart affords us to observe the majestic American Redneck in its most natural of habitats. I don't care where you live, it's like a protected wildlife refuge for them. It's there very own field of dreams, if you build it, they will come (and in great numbers) like pigeons to a loaf of bread. You could put a walmart in downtown (insert the cosmopolitan epicenter of your choosing) and I guarantee that you will most assuredly come across some choice specimens. In fact, I've even invented a drinking game to celebrate this cornerstone of redneck culture. There's no football this weekend so if don't have plans you should give it a try. And if you do have plans you should break em and try it anyway. It goes like this...

First, you'll need to disguise your brew in a large volume container. I like the 64oz big gulp from 7/11, it's big, insulated, and looks right at home in walmart. It all starts in the parking lot. Good sportsmanship dictates that you, or more preciesly your DD parks far away. As you make your way toward the entrance, drink one for every Nascar bumper sticker and drink two (appropriately) for each pair of novelty truck nuts you pass along the way. Upon entering the store, drink one for the 80-year-old greeter who is having to spend 20+ hours per week of his/her waning years at walmart in order to make ends meet.

Okay, once inside you can really let the games begin. Your objective is to walk the main perimeter isle until you can no longer do so without the necessary aid of a shopping cart. As you go, drink for each of the following criteria:

Drink one for each mullet. I can't recall a trip to walmart where I didn't see at least two of these glorious neck blankets on proud display and in full plumage. (Bonus: Drink double for each foot beyond where a collar would normally be) which brings me to the second drinkable offense...

Drink one for each wife-beater (that's a tank top undershirt for the grossly uninformed, please don't ban me) (Bonus: Drink for each visible stain larger than a quarter)

Drink one for each woman of considerable carriage. Caution: if said woman should suddenly appear thinner, stop drinking immediately and seek prompt medical attention. (Bonus: drink for each of her unruly children. They will be the ones engaged in a vicious slap fight in an attempt to establish pack dominance while consuming what must be thier 4th licorice whip of the day) (Double Bonus: drink for every king-sized bag of dorritos and 2-liter bottle of orange crush in her cart)

If you can make a full Lap around a regulation sized Super-Wally consider yourself a man. If you can do two full laps consider yourself Irish, and if you can do 3 full laps consider yourself a medical miracle and get in touch with some qualified scientist to but studied at length.

My personal best is to the second DVD island adjacent to the electronics section (roughly a lap and a half)

Lastly but most importantly have one of your more responsible buddies (now there's an oxymoron) drive you home. Failing to do this and you should consider yourself a Jackass.

Enjoy!

from mutt wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

all there is is walmart or one good mom and pop. until walmart sells minows i shop at both.

from Charley wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I like the local mom and pop because they always know what water is hot, and what the fish are taking. They know their gear and they will take time to talk about what would be the best rod/reel/net/float tube/lure etc. to buy. They want to make sure that i have a great day on the water.
Walmart has a better selection, and as pointed out many times, is great to use in a pinch, but the sales people don't know anything and don't care.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

mutt, when it comes to live bait I'm lucky to have a Bass Pro near me so I get my worms there. Surprisingly their very lively. I usually get line there to. Other stuff its Wallyworld.
Sorry to say the mom&pops bait stores are going by the way. In my area two of my favorite stores have closed down. Mostly it's been because of the recent flooding, but their gone. Now its big box.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Charley,
You got that right, salespeople don't know nothing unless they live it. Nothing against them they,re just making a living but they've never done it, so how can they talk it?

from minnymadness wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I try as hard as I can to not shop at walmart. They tend to import most of the crap they sell, that is why it is cheaper than any other place. This is so bad not only on mom and pop stores, but also supply china with my money. They also refuse to allow their employees to unionize, and generally pay low wages, and instead of hiring more people install automated tellers Wal-mart is having a horrible effect on rural communities and the U.S. ecomony. Think twice about shopping there

from troutrageous1 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Man, so many blazing arrows shot at Target. It's like they have a bullseye on their store or something...

I 100% agree that the Target fishing (& sporting goods section for that fact) is awful. Actually, worse than awful. I don't think they carry anything I'd want to buy, even in a pinch. Walmart is not my primary choice either (local stores, or even internet retailers are), but I do visit the fishing department at least a few times a year ~ usually to buy my state fishing license (can't do at Target), and then random other times to kill time while my wife is off in another section looking at woman things like fabrics or scrapbooking stuff...

That being said, the other departments of Target stores aren't that bad. They just aren't. I think their "house brands" are much better than Walmart's. Sure, you won't find any camoflague in Target unless it's made for metrosexual purposes, but it's all cheap stuff no matter which way you slice it anyway.

from jjas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Joe, thanks for the positive comments and YooperRyan,
your Walmart walking idea is perfect for a pre-Super Bowl activity.

You should get a couple of buddies involved and whoever can walk the entire store perimeter the most times without having to go to the nasty public restroom wins!

It combines exercise, drinking, bladder stretching (remember, you are preparing to sit for the entire Super Bowl)and you still get your shopping done.

Talk about your multi-tasking!

Jim

from Jacee wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Okay, Yooperryan, I love the drinking game, and I think getting drunk may be the best way to shop at my local WalMart. I laugh at the title of this blog, because it describes my household to a tee.... I like Target better for almost anything except outdoors stuff, my husband detests Target. I can acutally get help from someone who isn't on oxygen and can hear what I said. The checkout lanes are quick and to the point, no fighting over a stupid coupon or trying to find the enter button on the keyboard. (My motto is WalMart will hire anyone with a heartbeat.) That being said, I do have to resort to WalMaet for hunting and fishing stuff. Honestly, my Walmart SUCKS for flies and the camping area is limited. But I can buy a pheasant license at 10 pm before the big hunt the next day, and shells are cheaper overall. However, like Yooperryan, I have a (woman's) strategy for shopping there. After being in the store for 10 minutes, you will look 20-50 pounds skinnier, you will feel more beautiful since you can smile with ALL your teeth, you will feel healthier because you don't have to ride around on the fleet of electric carts, and you will feel smarter after checking out with a 7th grade drop out cashier. Sometimes, I just need a little boost to my morale by shopping there!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Jim,
Your local Wally World doesn't have a Subway and Deli? The thing that gets me is the electric carts are full of fat people that need the exercise the most. That's just about everywhere you can shop. Not only is ammo cheaper at WW groceries are too.

from Minnetonkan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

The warm feeling at a Mom and Pops can't be beat, but emergencies in the metro area call for Wal-Mart. In northern Minnesota most Holiday stations selection dwarfs anything Target carries for fishing and hunting. I was able to pick up a box of 28 gauge shells at 6 a.m. there when in a pinch this season.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks all for the responses...some very smart and very funny stuff in here. I've already said that I use Wally World in a pinch, but as noted in a few posts, it positively will never replace mom-and-pop.

Yeah, I can buy stuff at Wally's late at night, but you can't walk in with a broken reel and find a replacement drag cap for the exact model or find out the water temps on the trolling grounds.

I do think it's fair to say both establishments, mega-mart and little shops, serve their purposes. Jacee, I'm glad you liked the title. This post was spawned over the weekend when my fiance dragged me into the Target. I took the photo of their fishing section, then asked if we could run over to Wal-Mart so I could shoot their fishing section.

She grumbled, but gave in, although she waited in the car.

from ejunk wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I'm a fly fisherman and I get my tackle from a local store or via online vendors. I do take one or two spin fishing trips per year, and in preparation for those I usually go to wal-mart. wal-mart doesn't have squat for fly fisherman. tippet, I guess.

yrs-
Evan!

from tightliner09 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

wally world is thirty miles away, and i still save money going there instead of the local shop. were else is there to go.

from TJ wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Wally World hands down. As far as big box sporting goods I have had luck with Sportsman's Warehouse. They have the best prices, and their people seem to know what they are talking about.

from Frank wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I never ever go to Wally World. I know they have deals on sporting goods, but no deal is enough to make me forget the way they are trashing the American economy. And the way they abuse their workers just makes me ill to think about it. That poor kid who got crushed to death in that store on the day after Thanksgiving? If that ain't un-American I don't know what is. I've done some work with Wake-Up Wal-Mart... a group that is trying to get Wally World to step up and act right. We'll see I guess.

from bigbryce86 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I go to walmart for my gerenal shopping. I dont buy too much sporting goods wise there. In Kansas City there's a "mom & pop" shop I try to get most of my stuff at. I only go to target when i absoulty have too. I.E. the old lady drags me there. lol.

from RJ Arena wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Every once in a while my wife drags me into a Target, we walk around for a while and SHE doesn't see anything she wants and we leave, allways saying the same thing, Why did we go in this place? They look nice, but they never have anything I want. As to fishing supplies, I go to locals, the flyfishing stock at wally's is poor.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I agree, It's Wal-Mart hands down and the best thing is my wife really doesn't like Target anymore than I do. I just wish they'd expand their ammo dept a little more and carry some higher end items in their sporting goods dept. As for minnows the have pretty good sales in the tropical fish dept every once and a while, bass really like them shiny ones.

from KenD wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I didn't think Target sold Fishing and hunting equipment

from kaponas1 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I won't even drive into the parking lot at Wal-Mart. If I want to buy fishing gear I go to an outdoors store or a fishing store. This way there is no hassle getting in or out and they always have what I'm looking for. Less time standing in line and more time actually fishing.

from Evan V wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I already own everything thats worth using in walmart. Alot of their lures are no good, or they sell cheap shakespeare rods.

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I asked my girlfriend the exact question,Do you prefer Walmart or Target whithout asking her why. She said Target, but depends on what she's buying.

I like Wally World, they actually still carry fishing tackle, unlike most retailers and hardware stores.

from Fisher Boy wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

out here in the boonies, there is a target 30 minutes away, and 2 wally worlds within 15. Wally has a wider selection, but i get my gear at Cabelas or bass pro, wally is just too cheesy, its made to break.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I use Wall mart for some little stuff like swivels and some weights. Usually though I get my tackle at the local bait shop.

from Young Doc wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

My Target has the worse sporting goods section around. So, Walmart is my go to place for the most common items I would need for my outdoor needs. :))

from Iowabuckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I personally would rather go to Mills Fleet Farm alot better place, There fishing section is alot better than walmart or target. They also sell alot better hunting gear than either store

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I can't believe there are so many posts concerning Walmart/Target.
Gentlemen, we are bored. C'mon Spring!

from mattreney wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

walmart kills targets crap. neither in my town are that reliable for all my fishing or hunting supplies but walmart usualy has decent lures and ammo is fairly cheap targets fishing section is mostly commercial if you know what i mean it all the as seen on tv junk not the good brands

from alozzi wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

i love wal-mart it is a great place to get the things you need but dont have because i am alsways missing things and then to wal-mart we go.

from Love2Hunt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I always go to Wal-Mart to buy any fishing or hunting equipment. Not only does Wal-mart have a better selection, but also is cheaper than the same supplies Target carries (which is few). Target is a nice store but is not a place for sportsmen to go to purchase and type of equipment. I am starting to notice thought too that fewer Wal-marts are carrying as much stuff as they used too. Unfortunately they are dwindling in how many products they carry. Another huge reason to go to wal-mart over target is the fact that you can purchase a hunting/fishing license their.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I hit wal-mart weekly for discounted and sale items. It's a good place to stock up on cheap tackle when the major stores are closed for the evening.

The target in my area has a very limited fishing section and it is over priced in my opinion.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

When i have a catfishing trip planned for overnight, walmart is a great place to stockup on catfish tackle, they actually carry a good assortment of circle hooks and swivels that I need for late night trips to the river or the lake.

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I try to stay away fro those box store P.O.S places,,,, shopping at Ma and PAs is much more enjoyable

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I love the mom and pop shops, but in a pinch you can't beat hitting up walmart.

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Definitely Wal-Mart. I've yet to find a Target anywhere in Colorado that comes close to the selection that any "normal" Wal-Mart has. Some of the Wal-Mart stores are like going to a mini Cabela's - it just depends on your neck of the woods...

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I do not go to Wal Mort unless there is no other place to get that item. Besides their labor practices both domestic and overseas, they are or were making video records of firearm and ammo sales. Until I hear different, it is just orange sugarfree generic metamucil for me, and nothing else.

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

did my post get removed? Are the editors in the habit of removing and editing posts? that is unAmerican and shortsighted.

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Oh, mercy! There is my "I do not go to Wal Mort..." post--so it did NOT get removed, and I apologize to the editors for even thinking that they would edit or remove posts. Must be my newness to this board. Is there any way for the poster to remove or edit his own posts?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

So much energy about pathetic stores. I can't believe I read the posts....

from tygardner wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

mom and pops are preferable but wally world gets it done in a pinch

from tygardner wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

mom and pops are preferable but wally world gets it done in a pinch

from catfishclark10 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

This one is a no brainer, besides Target looking nicer doesn't mean anything. At Walmart you can get any beverage you need , snacks, and cigarettes! My local Target has about a quarter isle of tackle my local Walmart has about 3 isles. I cant even buy a field and stream magazine at target.

from Brutus3542 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I do most of my supply shopping at Bass Pro Shop. But I'd have to say that I use the Wal-Mart fishing section as a treat. What I mean is that when I have to make a trip to Wal-Mart for some other random thing then I go to the fishing section and pick up one small, inexpensive lure. This allows me to try a wide variety of lures overtime without it breaking the bank.

from wsimien wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

This aint even close! At my Walmart you can get nighcrawlers, crickets and stink bait. At the Target you can get perfume, pedicure and a latte. Which is going to help you bring in a lunker!?

from Bella wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

I am gonna fall in with the majority here, I been into Target a couple times and never found them useful. I dispise Walmart (henceforth referred to in this post as Thrallmart). My town used to have a decent hardware store till Thrall mart opened up it's usual barn fulla cheap chinese poop just over the town line. Thrall mart here don't seel nuthin' bigger than a BB gun that shoots, unless it is a paintball marker. They do sell ammo fairly cheap, but if you want it you have to go hunting for whatever drone has been exiled to the sporting goods section. Thrall marts reedeming factor used to be sewing supplies and fabrics, but typically, now that the fabric stores are going out of busness thrallmart is phasing out it's sewing section.
Once we had a period of severe wind, and it blew the flagpole off the top of the building so Old Glory dangled upside down. Considering that this is a national distress signal, I requested the manager to correct the problem. After all if they are going to fly the Flag, they need to do it right. However the manager resented my bringing this to her attention, as if she didn't personally care and I some kind of jingoistic loon for desiring respect be given to the Stars N' Stripes. (I am kinda big on treating the flag with the dignity and formality it deserves as our national emblem). It took 3 months and repeated promtings before they fixed that pole and hung Old Glory upright. As if they had no ladder or roof access!
Bigger is often not better. The pattern one sees repeated in community after community is that big box stores mpove in and essentially devastate local small retailers by drasticly undercutting their prices, causing family owned shops that have survived for generations to close their doors.
Like others I must occasionally swallow my bile and go to thrall mart although I often find time spent looking for anything specific is time wasted.
Now consider, thrallmart has trashed both local small busness and manufacturing, by selling cheap imported stuff that all used to be produced locally. Now we have the worst financial disaster since 1929, what happens when (not if) thrallmart goes down? So many Americans have gleefully addicted themselves to thrallmart's cheap commodities; what happens when the semi tractor trailers no longer disgorge their contents of plastic dinguses created in sweatshops abroad? (hint: take up crafts...basketry is easy and engrossing!)

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

I like wally world so much better for my hunting and fishing supplies. I bought yesturday a pack of turkey calls for 5 dollars.

from deerhunter94 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Walmart laugh at the reallly weird people. If you start to fell bad about yourself just go to walmart. The lord has a sense of humor.

from Tom Mrjenovich wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Man, i cant tell ya how many times I've done that. Running around a Wal-Mart at midnight or later with my dad, thats a good time.
But yeah, Wal-Mart beats out Target in fishing and outdoor gear without even trying. When the selection is bad enough in a store that you're almost embarresed to be standing in the aisle (Target), you know something is wrong in the world.

from kgkjager522 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

ok, i'm only 16 and don't fish as much as any of you guys but i would really love to go fishing more often. and that brings this up. wal-mart tops target no matter what. may friend and i like to just drive to wal-mart (a short distance away) and admire the aisles of sporting goods. having money also helps. target has absolutely diddly-squat when it comes to sporting goods and has about the same prices. anyways, i'll take wal-mart any day, no matter how many questionable characters are there.

from Long Run Fishin... wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

I'm like you Joe, I patronize the Mom and Pops, the local shows and I can't recall a fishing purchase...just bags of Ice and Drinks for the fishing trip...

from sqcrazy wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

they also ask when you buy .22 cal ammo if it's for a rifle or pistol. what's that about?

from huskerguy wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Wal-Mart...hands down. It's great for the spur of the moment fishing trip. Has nightcrawlers year round, and since its we have a Super Wal-Mart it has liver and shrimp for us.

from Ziggy4334 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Wal-mart has the best lures and bait in comparison, although Target does hae a large selection of things altogether different.

What else can you say about their products, though? They have some of the best stuff out there, even though private business suffers. Gulp still doesn't get bought enough, however.

Anyway, Target would help you catch fish just the same.

from buckeye wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Wally World is much better than Target in that department, but I try to use other stores whenever possible. You can't go to either one if you want to talk to someone with much knowledge about there products in my experience.

from westjoe wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Well Walmart has the best tackle hands down. What target offers is like a smack in the face. They have nothing. Not only does Walmart offer variety but also at an affordable price. I recently stocked up on panther martins at a generous price of 1.75 and stren line for 3.00 a spool. The occasion was the opening of a super Walmart but their is always tackle at a bargain price.

from jeffjreed wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Has anyone seen the documentary on Walmart? Do you still shop there? I won't buy any vehicle from any country that has or may bomb our troops (Toyota, Honda etc.). I would rather support an over priced mom and pop shop. These times more than ever, need our dollars to stay in America.

from HurricaneD wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I personally go to Target to go dear hunting! Are far as fishing and other hunting supplies I go to Bass Pro and when I haaaaaave to, go to Wally World.

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

To put it in fishing terms I will troll a wal-mart but I will set the hook at a good mom and pops store. I even prefer mail order over wal-mart. MidwayUSA gets my vote for most bullets and hunting equipment. Its the nations biggest Mom and Pops store and deserves patronage.

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from CRAWLIFE wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Did anyone else see this king of the hill episode?

from beagleboy wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Wal-mart is much better for the outdoorsman. Last week, i went and bought 5 fishing lures and a choke tube from walmart's clearance aisle all for $15, the same cost for the choke tube at regular price. And these were good fishing lures, including a jointed rapala and a hula popper.

from DEACONBLUEZ wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

GIVEN THE PLACES WE FREQUENT AND ROUTES WE TRAVEL
WAL-MART IS MY #1 CHOICE. IF I WOULD TRAVEL FARTHER IN
TWO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS,I WOULD HAVE ACCESS TO THREE DIFFERENT SPORTING GOODS STORES. BIG R AND TRACTOR SUPPLY AREN'T TOO BAD EITHER.

from biffula wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Problem is, is that Wallyworld is doing away with most of its fishing dept. too. There might be select locations where they are going to keep a good supply, but most are being relegated to end cap status just like Target. So you can start to scratch Wallyworlds off your list as well.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Enjoy!

from jjas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Walmart and public restrooms have a lot in common.

from Blue Ox wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Any man who WILLINGLY goes to 'Tar-zhay' needs to stay his ass in the kitchen.

from silsbyj wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

WALLY WORLD ALL THE WAY!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Jacee wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from kaanimal wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

jjas...that might be the analogy of the year my friend!

from Chris Carpenter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Walmart all for sure cheap stuff low prices. academy when they have sales.

from bnorth1 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from jay wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Del I've never gone into Wallyland with the intention of buying a sub sandwich.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

LMAO! I felt so bad I gave you a point.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Charley,

from Charley wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

The two middle paragraphs are from snopes. I wrote the rest.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from mutt wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from minnymadness wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from mattreney wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from deerhunter94 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from Tom Mrjenovich wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

She grumbled, but gave in, although she waited in the car.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from bigbryce86 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I can't believe there are so many posts concerning Walmart/Target.
Gentlemen, we are bored. C'mon Spring!

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Evan V wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Ziggy4334 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Anyway, Target would help you catch fish just the same.

from Iowabuckhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Joe, thanks for the positive comments and YooperRyan,
your Walmart walking idea is perfect for a pre-Super Bowl activity.

Talk about your multi-tasking!

Jim

from Young Doc wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Frank wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from KenD wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I didn't think Target sold Fishing and hunting equipment

from wsimien wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I love the mom and pop shops, but in a pinch you can't beat hitting up walmart.

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from MichCityDDS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Brutus3542 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from catfishclark10 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from tygardner wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

mom and pops are preferable but wally world gets it done in a pinch

from tygardner wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

mom and pops are preferable but wally world gets it done in a pinch

from jeffjreed wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from CRAWLIFE wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Did anyone else see this king of the hill episode?

from kgkjager522 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from sqcrazy wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from HurricaneD wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from DEACONBLUEZ wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

GIVEN THE PLACES WE FREQUENT AND ROUTES WE TRAVEL
WAL-MART IS MY #1 CHOICE. IF I WOULD TRAVEL FARTHER IN

from biffula wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

So much energy about pathetic stores. I can't believe I read the posts....

from alozzi wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago