Weekly Rut Report

Whitetail 365

November 04, 2009

Weekly Rut Report

By Scott Bestul

First off, I appreciate everyone who took the time last week to send in reports of the rut activity (or lack thereof) in your area. It is always fascinating to me to see how sometimes-small regional variations can make a huge difference in the level of rutting behavior that hunters witness.

Here in the upper Midwest, we are brink of an explosion. For the most part, the full-bore chase phase has not begun. But the bucks—including some of the mature deer—are getting very active. They are on their feet, roaming their core areas, hitting rubs and scrapes and looking for that first estrous doe. My good friend Mitch Hagen was hunting in southern Iowa over the weekend and reported several large bucks “shadowing” does. This is a fascinating behavior to me; the doe is clearly not “in” yet, but the buck senses she is getting close. The buck does not dog her or chase her, but simply follows and keeps track of her movements.

Mature bucks are highly adept at noting the signs of a soon-to-be estrous doe. He’s been down the breeding path before and can recognize whatever signals she’s sending (Scent? Body posture? Vocalization?) that indicate the doe will soon be receptive. These experienced breeder bucks are like that lady’s man we’ve all known; they do not waste time on females that they know are a low-odds endeavor!

So the chase phase is soon to begin, and when it kicks in, things will get very, very exciting! Not always the best time to kill a big buck, but for sheer viewing pleasure, it is a phase of the season that’s tough to top! So what’s happening with you guys?

By the way, the buck in the photo above was taken recently in Kentucky, one of the true B&C hotspots of recent years. Shot by the young lady in the picture (rumored to be 14 years old), the ginormous whitetail is supposed to sport 26 scorable points and gross around  230” B&C.

from jbird wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Awesome deer in the pic. I live in Mo, and watched a 6pt. trailing a doe yesterday. Grunted at him, he barely even noticed. He was following a good 80 yards behind her, but he was not veering off course. I wouldn't have shot him, but I like messing with em'.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Yesterday, I did some doe management in southwest Michigan. The deer died within a few yards of my shot, not ever knowing what hit her. It was amazing the number of deer that she brought as a natural decoy, bait pile. Including several smaller bucks, and one mature one that came in at dark. The mature buck stayed with her for about 20 minutes circling and smelling her before departing. It was very, very dark before I could leave my stand. This is a great time of year.

from northern_mi_hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

thuroy, im stuck hunting up north on public land... can I come hunt with you??? LOL

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

FULL BLOWN CHASE phase here in Ark. as of last week-end !

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Things are getting hot in Ohio. I'm seeing bigger antlers everyday. Saw one this morning tending a disinterested doe. My nephew shot a nice 10 point last night chasing does. It's not to the point where the big bucks are crazy but it's close.

from msthunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Just went hunting this evening in Missouri and saw a 6 pointer outright chasing a doe. Also saw a four pointer with a doe next to my truck as I was leaving.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

no chasing... yet i would predict it to hit hard next week on the 11th when the temp drops here in wisconsin... i have a lone doe coming into 1 of my favorite stands without the buck fawn she previously had.

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Buckhunter is right on the money. Lots of activity on scrapes and rub lines. I have 2 friends that raise deer and they say does will be in estrous in the next few days. his buck is starting to show a lot of interest in the does. his neck is swollen and he has that certain smell all over him. Small game season kicks in tommorrow and small game hunters will also move deer .

from thuroy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Northern_mi_hunter it had been quite frustrating until some of the corn in the area started to come down. Good luck I will be heading up to Kalkaska- Grayling area for Thanksgiving weekend to see a abundance of orange and few deer.

from duckking wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Holly Dang is that thing real........

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

some rutting in central wi, small one's nothing big yet....as far as the pic of the young girl that's f'n awsome that what i like to see big bucks and young kids hunting or should i say young ladys...congrats

from northern_mi_hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Thuroy,

I also rifle hunt in the northern lower... .Alcona county... I have 10 acres that borders a 20,000+ acre chunk of National Forest... 90% of it is a jack pine plantation for the Kirklands Warbler... WHAT A FARCE!!! Its nothing more than an excuse to plant the fastest growing tree they can so the timber companies can cut sooner and sooner... NOTHING lives in it besides blue jays and ravens...

OH WELL.... I like the challenge of bowhunting on public... but gun season in my area is ridiculous... 40+ hunters per square mile...

I NEED SOME PRIVATE LAND TO HUNT!!!!

from northern_mi_hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Oh, also, The deer in Northern MI are scraping like crazy but I havent seen any chasing yet...

I have a 1 acre winter wheat field and on Sunday night a large 8 point came in at about 10pm... there were already 6 does eating and he didnt seam interested in them at all... The does did give him a very wide berth, and left once he started eating... He made 3 scrapes on my field edge that night, and about 5 more over the next 400 yards or so untill he went down the hill into a cedar swamp...

My problem is that it is almost impossible to hunt bucks that use the swamp as a bedding area... it is bordered by a huge hill and in the evenings, no matter what direction the wind is coming from, my scent carries downhill... and the bucks always leave about a half hour after the does, so the does usually will bust me and then the bucks will just wait untill dark...

The only way I have been successful is to find the bucks actually bedding site right before rifle season opens, and then wait untill the very end of rifle season when the weather makes the bucks move before dark... Then i set up actually in the swamp within 100 yards of his bedding site in the very middle of the day, and only on a windy noisy day...

I got an 8 point doing this last Thanksgiving..

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

On the Eastern Shore of Md, the rut is heating up. I saw a nice 8 with a brow tine almost as tall as his rack chasing some does.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i'm going to put in for the very last season here in CO next year. it was 75 today and activity is just now heating up.

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I'd have a report from West-Central Illinois, but all the corn is still up and I can't see a damn thing.

from scoobie_6 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

anyone have any info on deer in northern maine, haven't seen any bucks yet. have seen a few does but not much else

from njhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Nj, bucks on their feet but still very nocturnal. Should start seeing more daytime activity soon. Bucks have been hitting their scrapelines and shadowing does but bad weather has put a damper on things. Getting frustrated

from boone04 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

West Central Wisconsin...I would say its game time. Seen 3 bucks all nice ones behind a doe not really pushing her but they are following close. My dad had 4 bucks following one doe so they are up and moving. I would say sit all day if you could...

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The teenagers have been chasing all week. Had a doe try to escape her suitors by running through my cattle. Undeterred by her actions a basket 6 and 8 sparred as they persued her through the pasture.
The big boys are hanging on the fringes and only interrupt to make their presence known. Had a mature 8 enter a similar situation on my hunting farm. He stepped into the field edge; immediately the does took notice, the little six droppped his head and made a b-line to the closest brush. The does then stepped out of the field and he entered to eat, seemingly satisfied with the order of his domain.

from Iowastickthrower wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Here in central Iowa the chase explosion is on the brink. The 150" 8 point was chasing a doe at no end on Wednesday evening. Had to pass on the 60 yard shot. Other than him the other bucks have been for the most-part shadowing. Testing their behavior with a deep grunt call they are curious and look around for what the "bigger buck" has for does. Also, Starting to see new bucks. The does have been making contact calls among each other and the bucks are letting out short single grunts. A few other things to mention, The corn is still in all around, and i haven't noticed any scrape activity here yet.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

the ruts going here, just a question when do you start using rattling horns?

from jlbaxa wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

went hunting on at the Burnsville WMA in WV yesterday and saw a 7 point chasing does around in a small field. Also after they went into the woods bordering the field I heard him great a few times. Also watched a larger buck rubbing some trees and checking his scrapes on the 5th. He seemed to be on the move looking for does.

from buckscouter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Bucks are starting to lay down heavy sign in Southern Indiana. Temperatures were close to 80 degrees today, but deer were still active. I saw a buck cruising through an overgrown field this afternoon when the day was at its hottest. Ive had good success bringing deer in with rattling antlers for several weeks now. Friday evening I rattled in a two year old eight pointer, and I could smell him from thirty yards out as he made scrape after scrape.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Spent last week in Ohio, and it was slow. Saw a couple bucks chasing but not as i expected. Hope to get out at home Tues or Thurs, should be on by then if not already.

from oxjam wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Here in Ohio. Bucks moving a lot, making scraps and few rubs. Not active to any calls (Grunt or bleat). They are watching the does though. They seem very late this year very weird. Usually in chase phse by now in previous years. Missed a nice 8 pointer, but could be a good thing b/c there is 3 monster bucks in the area. Heading back out monday night, hope to get a big one.

from shawey90 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

here in central NY alot of the doe are ready but the mature bucks arn't coming out until 2hrs after dark...ive already grunted or rattled in 4 bucks...how do you get those big ones out?

from ford1234 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

pre-rut here in Maine,maybe by this weekend the 14th they will start

from K-9 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Here in Central N.C., been seeing a lot of deer since muzzleloader opened this past Saturday. Today was the first time i saw several bucks , one big one that i shot then had some house dogs come and chase him away and with the rain and fall leaves couldn't recover the blood trail to find him and he was a wall hanger. Every Doe i saw had a buck with her today, several small ones, and the big main frame 8 i shot then lost had 4 does with him. Also so lots of scrape activity and rubs today. Probaly not 20 yards from the edge of my yard, and dog pen.

from tbuck30 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Here in northern Wisconsin the does are just coming into
their breeding cycle. The weather during the day has been in the upper 60s. Deer are moving early mornings
when the temps are in the 30s. Saw a huge buck tonight
checking his scrape line and then follow a hot doe into a cut corn field. No chasing yet!! Big bucks are on the
move, especially during the nightime.

from jpierce1 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Western Ky: Last Saturday (11/7) I saw two real solid bucks dogging does in a cut cornfield close to last light, just never got a shot. Gun season comes in this weekend, though and Im hoping theyll be at it again when i have a little longer shooting capability.

from George Hicks wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Here in eastern Kansas small bucks beating on each other.
one nice 10 chasing. the weather turned warn and its slowed every thing down.

from WVinNC wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Here in the Charlotte NC area: Saw a 2 1/2 year old buck and a 1 1/2 year old buck grazing with 7 does this evening. The larger buck would intermittendly take after one of the does. The doe urinated and the larger buck had his nose in it for at least a minute. Almost seems like the very end of the seek and chase, not sure that any of those does, except maybe the one, are hot yet.

On another note: The Weekly Rut Report is a great idea. But it doesn't really work if it's not maintained. It's been 15 days since the last post. C'mon guys.

from we3563 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I hunt NW Illinois and have seen no sign of the rut yet. In my opinion it is too warm. 50's during the day. Forecast is for continued warm weather and gun season starts on Friday. Good luck.

from girard08 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

here in se outh dakota i have seen no sign of the rut eather its oct 22 09 i have saw lots of bucks but only 1 googley eyed all worked up, other than that ya grunt at them they keep walking ya bleat at them they run the other way, i have tried doe estress, buck p from code blue... nothing eather havent heard any other deer grunting or trailing eather , i scratch my head, this is my first yr really after to put on a good hunt,its really hard.

from Talons wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

They are on the move in KY. I Seen several small bucks around 4:30pm moving solitare today. The big boys can't be far behind.

from Talons wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

PS
The weather is changing, getting cooler after that big storm blew thru. The are on the move. Western KY.

from Talons wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Admin,
Get those old post off of here. Most are from last year!!!!!!!!! We are hunting this season!!!!!

from jbird wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from boone04 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from northern_mi_hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

FULL BLOWN CHASE phase here in Ark. as of last week-end !

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from msthunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from duckking wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Holly Dang is that thing real........

from northern_mi_hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Thuroy,

I NEED SOME PRIVATE LAND TO HUNT!!!!

from northern_mi_hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I got an 8 point doing this last Thanksgiving..

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from scoobie_6 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from njhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Iowastickthrower wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

the ruts going here, just a question when do you start using rattling horns?

from jlbaxa wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from buckscouter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from oxjam wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from shawey90 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from ford1234 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

pre-rut here in Maine,maybe by this weekend the 14th they will start

from K-9 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from tbuck30 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Here in northern Wisconsin the does are just coming into
when the temps are in the 30s. Saw a huge buck tonight
move, especially during the nightime.

from jpierce1 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from George Hicks wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Here in eastern Kansas small bucks beating on each other.
one nice 10 chasing. the weather turned warn and its slowed every thing down.

from WVinNC wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago