Idaho Angler Lands Huge Rainbow Trout, New State Record

Field Notes

July 27, 2011

Idaho Angler Lands Huge Rainbow Trout, New State Record

By Online Editors

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game says Mark Adams, a 41-year-old man from Pocatello, has landed a new Idaho state record rainbow trout.

From this story on therepublic.com:
Idaho Department of Fish and Game officials say a 41-year-old railroad engineer has shattered a state record with this 34.74-pound rainbow trout.

Union Pacific Railroad locomotive engineer Mark Adams caught the lunker in American Falls Reservoir Monday morning. It took Adams 15 minutes to bring in the trout, which broke old state record by 14.72 pounds.

Adams tells the Idaho State Journal that he and his fishing buddy first thought the fish was a carp because it didn't have a lot of color. Adams called another friend who advised him to get his catch to a certified scale.

Regional Fisheries Biologist David Teuscher he's checking national records to see how Adams' catch measures up.

Montana records show a 33.1-pound rainbow was caught in the Kootenai River in 1997.

from rugerlady wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Wow. I cant even fathom cathing a trout that big! AWESOME fish!! (And, as per usual; Im jealous!!! LOL) I make sure to carry a current list of all the record fish (species in the waters I fish, that is...). You know, just in case! ;)

from bdarak wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Amazing fish!! I would love to see more pictures.

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Damn!!

from shane wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

That thing is ridiculous. And hideous. Triploid, maybe? I don't want to diminish this guys record, but that thing doesn't even look like a rainbow trout. More like a monsanto trout or something.

I've said it before, the little guys are the pretty ones. It seems they're given a certain amount of pigment and pattern and asked to make it work no matter how large they grow.

from steelhead08 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Good question on it being a "Triploid"; first thing that ran through my head..

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I know it's missing most of its color, but cmon guy, that thing doesn't look even close to a carp. That said, congrats on the fish. I can't even think that big.

from shane wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from steelhead08 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Good question on it being a "Triploid"; first thing that ran through my head..

from rugerlady wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from bdarak wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Amazing fish!! I would love to see more pictures.

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago