National Quail Hunting Forecast 2011 Released

Field Notes

July 29, 2011

National Quail Hunting Forecast 2011 Released

By Chad Love

If you're a quail hunter wondering about the success of mid-summer nesting in the area or areas you're considering hunting this year, Quail Forever has just released its latest state-by-state nesting report. It's definitely worth a look, and as you might expect, it's a mixed-bag, even within the same region. Some of you will sing, while others will be crying into your strap vest. For example, in the wild bob strongholds of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, it appears that if you want to find birds this fall, you're going to have to follow the rain...

From the report
Kansas
The majority of regions have felt below average temperatures and rainfall this spring, which has not allowed for much in the way of new growth of grasses or forbs, according to Quail Forever’s team of Kansas Farm Bill Wildlife Biologists. A few timely spring rainfalls across the state will likely help localized quail initiatives and lead to a successful nesting season. Throughout the landscape there are still plenty of areas providing decent nesting cover. These areas, coupled with fresh forb growth and wildflower enhanced CRP fields, are providing the necessary conditions for young broods to survive the summer months.

Oklahoma
Oklahoma's quail hunting prospects for 2011 are not looking too optimistic, reports Doug Schoeling, Upland Game Bird Specialist for Oklahoma's Wildlife Department. While the birds are pairing up well, the weather is already hitting triple digits. The western part of the state, Oklahoma's best quail hunting region, has received very little rain this year. If the birds that have found mates can get a break in the weather, the outlook could improve.

Texas
Unfortunately for Texas quail hunters, the primary hunting regions in Texas are the Rolling Plains and South Texas, and these areas remain drought stricken, according to Robert Perez with the Texas Park and Wildlife Department. There are a few south Texas coastal counties, however, that have the benefit of frequent morning dew/ moisture that tends to help the quail, and the residual cover, CRP and stunted crops will likely keep adult birds going. But without soil moisture and insects, Texas will likely have less than average production. "It's still too early to tell how production will go. Unlike turkey and pheasant, bobwhite quail in Texas can respond late in the season to rainfall. If tropical storms bring rainfall to Texas, quail will initiate calling activity," says Perez. This activity has been documented as late as September.

How's it looking in your area? Are you seeing any chicks at all?

from ckRich wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Last weekend I saw only one pair and two chicks hurrying into a thicket on the side of the road. Might have been more chicks already in the cover. Great Salt Plains area

from Nic Meador wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I live in the Tulsa area and have land 20 or 30 miles south. We had rain for 2 mornings in a row and the quail sighting have exploded there.

from Evan Delp wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Timely Article! Two days ago I had a grown quail come across the road in front of me in Pa. I put a picture on here, so click my profile to see it. My work partner also saw 3 or 4 together about forty miles from my spotting. Do you know if they are being released or having a strong comeback?

from mountaindew732 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

fishallday comment was supposed to be mine ... >.< I guess my brother was logged into my laptop and I didn't notice. The quail picture can be found on my profile

from ckRich wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

micneador, Where in the Tulsa area? I live in BA, and the rain has missed us.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

The only thing that "made" in my state was milkweed. The cockleburrs didn't even make! LOL!!!
With nearly 70 days of 100+ temps and nearly 60 of them in a row, the quail had no chance! Their eggs probably "baked" on the ground.
Had a killdeer raise 4 chicks in the front yard. If her success is any indication, the quail population will probably break even at best. Most of the seed grasses made very little if any.

Bubba

from ckRich wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from Nic Meador wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from Evan Delp wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from mountaindew732 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

micneador, Where in the Tulsa area? I live in BA, and the rain has missed us.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago