Texas Drought Causing Deer to Abandon Fawns

Field Notes

July 18, 2011

Texas Drought Causing Deer to Abandon Fawns

By Chad Love

The ongoing, record-setting, seemingly never-ending drought in the southern part of the nation is taking a heavy toll on everyone, including the wildlife. Deer in Texas and other particularly hard-hit areas of the southwest are beginning to abandon their fawns.

From this story in the Houston Chronicle
The extreme heat and persistent drought seen in much of Texas is taking its toll on wildlife, with deer, birds and other animals abandoning or unable to feed their young. Pregnant does are having problems carrying fawns to term, and most of them born prematurely aren't surviving, according to the Texas AgriLife Extension Service. Other does are abandoning their newborns because drought-induced malnutrition has robbed them of their ability to produce milk. Abandoned fawns found all over the Panhandle and South Plains have been brought to the South Plains Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. Ten had been brought to the Lubbock wildlife center by the end of last week.

"With the drought, there is no feed for the mother deer. And if they can't feed, they can't produce milk. They can't feed their babies, so they are leaving them," center volunteer Gail Barnes told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

Anyone seeing signs of this in their area?

from Tyler Murray wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Yes, my grandmother has 560 acres in Weatheford Texas, I was mowing one of her pastures the other day and found an emaciated fawn curled up behind one of her round bales. It was a miracle it was still alive. A very horrible sight. We called the game warden and she was sent to Lubbock, I'm assuming to that rehab center.

from shane wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Nature is brutal sometimes. Down south fawns get abandoned in droughts. Up north they get aborted during bad winters.

Feeling down? At least you're not a deer. They have it rough. Go do one a favor and shoot it.

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Pray for rain in Texas.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

It pains me to see anything starving. Tough way to go.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Good thing there isn't any global warming or anything like that contributing to the problem.

from dkerntx1 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I am not a hunter but I need information. I am in Parker County Texas and we are in a drought and on severe water restrictions. I live in a area where lots are an acre or more and we have lots of wooded areas. I have a group of deer including 3 fawns that I have been feeding and watering. The animals in my area are getting stressed due to lack of water and the foliage is drying up. I have been feeding the deer corn, apples, melons and peaches but is there anything else affordable that will help them through the drought?

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Pray for rain in Texas.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from Tyler Murray wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

It pains me to see anything starving. Tough way to go.

from dkerntx1 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago