The World's Biggest Fishing Lure

Field Notes

August 11, 2011

The World's Biggest Fishing Lure

By Chad Love

--Chad Love

Ever have one of those "we're gonna need a bigger boat" moments? Well then, here's the lure to go with it...

From this story in the Destin (FL) Log:
It’s official: The world’s largest fishing lure is hanging up at the Village of Baytowne Wharf marina. Mark and Mary Ellen Davis, owners of the S.S. Spitfire Mercantile bait and tackle shop at the Baytowne marina, and a team of family and friends designed and built the massive lure over a 10-month period. Dubbed the Flatliner, it measures in at 10 feet, 10 inches tall and a whopping 355.2 pounds. Sandestin hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the lure Wednesday morning.

“(People) have flocked in for pictures,” said Mary Ellen Davis. “It’s been incredible. I really thought it was going to be kids, and it’s been grown men hanging on it, literally hugging it, taking pictures. “It’s just very exciting,” she added. “It’s something we can look up to, something to show our kids.” Amanda Mochan, an adjudicator for Guinness World Records, came in from New York to certify the lure as the world’s largest, which is a new category for Guinness.

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

They must not have worked too hard if it took ten months to build that thing.

from jeffrey406 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Let me come over to your house and check out your 10' lure...oh wait, you don't have one. I guess you didn't want to work at all at making one. At least they WORKED on it.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from cjohnson wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Nice looking lure, but can it be used and does it work like it should when pulled in the water?

from jrguitar wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I'll bet it swims just like the original, as long as you retrieve it on basic 8oo pound line wound on a big enough reel, cast with an 80 foot rod. You never know what you might catch.

from swampbuck wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I had one that weighed 400lbs and was 12 foot long, lost it one afternoon on a big walleye up on Lake Erie...man that made me mad.. but that's OK,it was really tough to carry in my tackle box

from jusdane wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

So if this is a new category for Guinness World Records ... I guess next for them will be adding new categories for different kinds of world largest lures? Worlds largest Spinner ... worlds largest Spoon ... lol.

from the Preacher wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Should have to prove its effecacy before calling it a lure. Meaning it should first have to catch a fish. Worlds biggest lure would probably look more like a seal or sea lion. Although I have scene "human" dummies used to tempt great whites.

from cjohnson wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from jrguitar wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from the Preacher wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

They must not have worked too hard if it took ten months to build that thing.

from swampbuck wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago