A Bigfoot Colony in Canada?

Field Notes

September 15, 2011

A Bigfoot Colony in Canada?

By David Maccar

Yesterday it was UFOs, today it's Sasquatch. Reports of hairy encounters with Bigfoot-like creatures in a region of Alberta, Canada are on the rise. Photos and video from a group claiming they have found a colony of unidentified primates between Banff and Kootenay National Park were interesting enough to draw crews from Discovery’s Animal Planet show, "Finding Bigfoot."

From this story on metronews:

Earlier this month, crews from Discovery’s Animal Planet show, Finding Bigfoot, visited the mountainous region after seeing photos and video from the Sylvanic group claiming a colony of unidentified primates lives near the border between Banff and Kootenay National Park.

The show features a group of four seasoned members from the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization. Executive producer Keith Hoffman said many claims sent in are rejected but not those of Sylvanic, a group seeking definitive proof of the Bigfoot species.

“We haven’t ruled out their claims, if we didn’t think they were credible we wouldn’t have gone,” Hoffman said. “What we found was that numerous other people have had encounters ... they were called together in a town hall meeting.”

Sylvanic head Todd Standing said he expected the researchers would find people with sightings similar to his, noting he has come within about 65 metres of the creatures.

“Some of the sightings are four years old ... to go through them all would be a lifetime’s work,” he said.

What say you? Bigfoot or bunk?

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Could be a griz taking a dump. What's the point of pictures that don't clearly show what it's a picture of???

from 60256 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Is it bad that I always inwardly hope for bigfoot?

Nate

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wouldnt it be cool if it was real?

from huntenthusiest wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

A lifetimes work? How much footage, pics and sightings can that make be over just four years?

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I see the face. It looks computer generated if you go to the link for a bigger picture.

If this guy has had so many 65 meter encounters, where are all the 65 meter photographs and video? Did he just happen to forget his camera...every time?

from IowaGuy wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

In all the centuries people have been wandering the North American woods with everything from flintlock rifles to .338's not one has been shot, stuffed and mounted.

Not saying it isn't possible but until I see a stuffed one at the Field Mus. or a living one in the National Zoo, I'll doubt they exist

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wait till you see a 8' tall primate standing in your trail at dusk in the U.P. Watch it turn and walk silently into the brush then realize you still have 2 miles to walk back to camp and you have to go right past where you just seen it. Nothing in the dark scares me now--except snakes and poisonus spiders, and my ex-wife!!!

from Steward wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

WaltSmith:
...I would hope I have a large-caliber gun, and I would proceed with one in the chamber and the safety off. It's bad enough hearing a Mountain Lion screaming somewhere behind you at 5:00 in the morning.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

It looks like in 4 years you could get closer than 65 yards. Some people will do anything for publicity.
They are probably getting a grant from Obummer's stimulus package to do this study. Get real.

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Did that happen to you Walt Smith?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I wish there was a place on this planet where a tribe of bigfoot could live unnoticed for years. Sadly there is not.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

TAM9492-- Yes it did, and I was rifle hunting. It took me a good 5 min. to work up the nerve to walk past where it went in the brush and believe me the rifle was leveled and the safty was off! I'm glad it didn't hang around or I might still be ejecting savage parts out my butt!

from YooperRyan wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Walt, if that was in Goegebic county it was probably just my uncle wandering around without his shirt on.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

It was in Iron County, close to Ketchum Lake, in a 6 square mile section of national forest with no roads.

from Justin D wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Its probably a hispanic family with wolfman syn. they left mexico to get away. No just kidding. If your out in the woods all the time, You do see some strange things. My brother, and a friend and I had a sighting. The scary thing was we shot in the tree's before we seen the creature. I think you can rule out a person in a suit. they would be stupid to walk at us with a gun. I know for a fact it was not a bear. I didnt go to that place for years later. My dad seen that it bothered us guys. He went to check the place the day after. He did find prints. It still bothers me to go out in the woods without a gun

from Mark J wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

The testimony from hunters like Walt and Justin makes me think that there is something out there. Plus it would be nice to know there are animals, even really big animals, that are still undiscovered.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

MarkJ has a point. As much as I want to poke fun at this subject I have spoke with a few hunters who swear to have seen bigfoot or a likeness there-of.

from OldPhart wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow, that looks frighteningly like someone my brother once dated. Oh well, any Sasquatch in a storm I guess!

from JLodico wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Any day now they are going to start selling the Bigfoot tags.

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I've heard the females play Rollerball on the dirt roads.

from hutter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Mmmmm, Bigfoot gravy and biscuits

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

its all BS, if there was such thing somebody would have killed one or gotten verified video evidence...at least stumbled across a dead one.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Pshaw!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Anytime you would be interested in a belief changing stroll, let me know. Depends are optional!

from Paul Parrish wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I'd love to believe in them--but I can't. Someone would have killed one by now. With all the trail cams & cell phones with cameras, we'd have a good picture by now. Guess they don't exist. Too bad.

from BaboosicBomb wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

A trail camera would be likely not to catch an image, because few hunters move deeper
into the woods a few miles. If bigfoot was even sort of smart, he'd avoid areas that people were shooting at furry things.

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Actually a Bigfoot HAS been killed, by a hunter in Manitoba Canada who mistook it for a moose in 1941.

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I'm not necessarily skeptical of their existence, I consider it a possibility.

I'm just very skeptical of most reports.

Unfortunately, photos and video can easily be doctored these days, so I guess someone needs to shoot one.

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Why shoot it, just invite it to live in your family's cabin and name him Harry ala the Hendersons.

from bberg7794 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Bigfoot always makes for a great campfire story.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Sorry, there's just too much technology to think that every bit of "evidence" has to be so far away, and so out-of-focus. That's the best way to cover up fake things.

And the link about the "shot" one above? The only "evidence" is a painting of the scene. Really. A painting.

from milsky24 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

doesnt look very real to me

from dasmith wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I believe that people are seeing something, now exactly what they are seeing is another thing. The places they are seeing these things are heavly wooded areas with little or no human population. They have found new species and also species they have thought were extinct in the recient years. Anything is possible. Walk softly and carry a big gun !

from 60256 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Is it bad that I always inwardly hope for bigfoot?

Nate

from IowaGuy wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from YooperRyan wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Justin D wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wouldnt it be cool if it was real?

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Mark J wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I'm not necessarily skeptical of their existence, I consider it a possibility.

I'm just very skeptical of most reports.

from huntenthusiest wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

WaltSmith:

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Did that happen to you Walt Smith?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from OldPhart wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from JLodico wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Any day now they are going to start selling the Bigfoot tags.

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I've heard the females play Rollerball on the dirt roads.

from hutter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Mmmmm, Bigfoot gravy and biscuits

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Paul Parrish wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from BaboosicBomb wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from bberg7794 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Bigfoot always makes for a great campfire story.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago