Drought, Heat Wave Cause Fishing Closures on 3 Montana Rivers

Field Notes

July 26, 2012

Drought, Heat Wave Cause Fishing Closures on 3 Montana Rivers

By Chad Love

The unrelenting drought and heat wave affecting much of the country is now causing fishing closures on three Montana rivers.

From this story in the Great Falls Tribune:
Extended dry weather is prompting state wildlife officials to impose afternoon and evening fishing restrictions on three central Montana rivers. The so-called hoot-owl closures begin Friday on portions of the Dearborn, Smith and Sun rivers. Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks’ drought policy calls for fishing closures when maximum daily water temperatures reach at least 73 degrees for three consecutive days. State officials say water temperatures of 77 degrees or higher can be lethal to rainbow and brown trout, which prefer temperatures in the mid-50s.

How's the heat and drought affecting your fishing this summer? Any closures or algae warnings?

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

So a drought heatwave is closing down rivers. Why did no one speak up for the benefits of tailwaters below a dam!!!!! My river has lots of water, and great fishing in all of this heat because we have lots of water due to having a dam!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Hoot owl closures are nothing new in Montana. I suspect they must be about ready to also close the Clark Fork around Warm Springs (if it's not already closed) and the Big Hole near Wisdom. Obviously, the Clark Fork gets some extra thermal assistance from springs in the area.

My canoe has been picking up some awful film from the walleye lake I have been fishing up here. Leaves it looking like the sun oxidized it but only to the water line. Gad is that stuff a bear to remove! The lake is quite warm and though no algae problems the vegetation is worse than I have ever seen it.

Sounds like the spring was dry enough and lots of moisture remained from surface water accumulated last year so I suspect the pheasant hunting should be fantastic this fall. Grass should have grown up quick enough to provide lots of cover for the chicks. Anybody out in Eastern Montana or Western North Dakota with a report?

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Its been hot all over this year.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Its been hot all over this year.