'Duck Dynasty' Breaks TV Records, Highest Rated Series in A&E History

Field Notes

December 14, 2012

'Duck Dynasty' Breaks TV Records, Highest Rated Series in A&E History

By Chad Love

Living up to his moniker, the Duck Commander took total command of television ratings last week. The season finale of "Duck Dynasty" swept the ratings that night and helped to make the show the highest rated A&E series ever. Even The New York Times took notice...

From this story in The New York Times:
What have programmers at the television networks been thinking, putting on all those shows about cops, doctors and lawyers? America’s fascination has clearly turned in another direction: ducks. The A&E series “Duck Dynasty” has become a raging hit. The season finale, an hour-long edition Wednesday night, set new records for the series, scoring a best-in-television 3 rating from 10 to 11 p.m., among the advertiser-preferred audience group of viewers between the ages of 18 and 49. Really more about a quirky bayou family that makes duck calls and decoys than about the birds themselves, “Duck Dynasty” is now the top-rated series in A&E history.

With numbers that large, I'm assuming some of you are watching it? Thoughts?

from smccardell wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

That's a fact, JACK!

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I mentioned watching these guys duck hunting on Cable some months ago, and no one responding even knowing who these guys are.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from FOX wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Not surprised that show is funny and very entertaining.

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I know a lot of it is probably staged but I love it. It is the only thing on tv that I have my dvr set to automatically record.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I've watched several Duck Commander DVDs over the years and I've seen the (old?) Duck Commander TV show, but I've never taken the time to watch this. Do they actually hunt on this show or is it more about their business and personal lives? Nice guys. Despite the fact that I personally am not a religious person, I really appreciate how Phil's faith manifests itself in his hunting. I'm thinking specifically of an old episode of DC where he silenced some of the guys they were hunting with when they started hooting and hollering like idiots. That kind of basic level of respect seems largely absent in the "Boo-Yah" culture of modern hunting "entertainment."

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Awesome show. Love how it's more focused on the families than hunting. This show does far more for the hunting industry than those other hunting shows. Happy happy happy.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I watch it and love it! They are living the American Dream that they created for themselves without the assistance of anyone else. The show is quirky and staged but still a good show. Just think Jersey Shore was once a top rated show now you have true redblooded Americans making those pantywastes a thing of the past. It's promoted as a reality tv show but we all know it is a comedy of a real life family. I have the utmost respect for this family even if they have to some extent sold themselves to tv, values are the key.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

The best part is, they say a prayer at the end of every episode. Like ejunk said, they still demonstrate respect for the outdoors and for others in general. Not that crap like you see on Bone Collector and all those other stupid shows. If more people had the mentality of Phil Robertson this country would be a much better place.

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I am not even a waterfowl enthusiast, but this show is without a doubt the best show on TV and by far my favorite. I love the closeness of the family, the polarizing personalities and the prayer at the end of the show is a nice touch. Of course, the crazy redneck things they do is the best part of all....can't wait for season 3.

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Duck Dynasty is very funny, has no "bleeps" and ends each episode with a prayer to our Heavenly Father! It's our kids favorite show and a great way of presenting the "hunting lifestyle" to the majority of the world who don't hunt!

from TAM9492 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I like it too. It's bringing the sport a lot of attention. Now, when I tell people I hunt ducks, they immediately ask if I use Duck Commander calls haha.

from cTXn wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Was browsing for some new decoys last week and saw that all the Duck Commander calls were sold out, but nearly none of the Knight & Hale, Primos, or other brands had been touched. Hopefully some of those sales were to new hunters...Glad to see some level-headed, down to earth folks succeed in the mass-media.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Its a show that makes you want to be a part of the family.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Hi...

Haven't watched it yet, but am always glad to hear another success story.

I'll have to watch an episode now.

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I, for one, ain't no yuppy kid! Love this show! It makes me happy happy happy!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Yikes, those guys must use a tug for a duck boat! Must be a tight fit for the camera crew in the blind!

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

HEY! I love this show it makes me laugh till I cry.
God Bless Them,
Seth

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

The show is great and it is not a hunting show. It projects good wholesome family values and ties in Americas longest past time hunting as its Medium. It focuses on family and togetherness more than anything. We need more shows like this.

from outdoorsman170 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

great show overall, yet I do wish they would show a bit more of them fishing and hunting. They definitely give us outdoorsmen a good rap though.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Hi...

Well, I finally got to watch a few episodes last night. Didn't know it was a sitcom...!!

Wasn't too bad. Kinda hokey, though, with everyone playing into the camera. Sort of reminded me of a more sedate Married With Children...with a bit of Newhart thrown in...only with the family saying a prayer with the family around the dinner table each day.

But, who ACTUALLY makes the duck calls? No employees were shown in the episodes I watched.

I'll keep on the watch for more of their reruns.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

At least these bird hunters have some manly facial hair. Perhaps that's an understatement? Anyway, not like the sissy half-grown goatees those Bone Collector antler addicts wear.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

HEY, I love the show! It's stupid but hillarious! I think they give sportsman a good face. Plus it's one of the only shows on right now that the mrs. and I can sit and watch together and both enjoy. And that's pretty rare Jack!

from buckstopper wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I've seen the Duck Commander videos for 10-12 yrs now. Phil was the same back then that he is now. One video showed him teaching his granddaughters how to pluck ducks by hand. (I've been spoiled using a machine plucker for too long.) He really is a man of faith and lives by the WORD. He also was a college professor, English I believe. He was unknowing of the ways of marketing back then but sponsors soon have lined up. Willie became CEO for natural business talent. Phil said in one of the Duck Commander shows that Willie had shut down the school concession because he was selling more candy and food in the play ground than they were.

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

My family watches it. We love the show despite it feeling more canned than during season one. However, I do like that every episode ends with a prayer.

I prefer this show to many of the other outdoor shows. This show demonstrates a profound respect for the outdoors.

from Ga hunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Phil Robertson is somebody that I pray I will be like one day! He's very wise and hard working and just all around smart! I love how every episode ends with a prayer and with their family sitting at the table together. The show also brings some light on the hunting world and shows people that hunters aren't just drunk rednecks that shoot whatever walks God's green earth. Keep up the great show!

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Did they not used to have a show about duck hunting?

from Brandon DeGarmo wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

there just good people ...uncle si is my favorite ..what an awesome show!!!

from Cynthia Hicks G... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I love to watch it because it is funny, clean, and they have good family values. Theres no sex, drugs, cursing, and is just plain funny. Very rare to find in ANY tv show!

from Clayton Wright ... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I am the mother of a three year old and Duck Dynasty is her favorite show. It's one of the few shows left with moral integrity. It's not about the guys hunting, the ducks or the duck calls. It's about a family that loves each other and their wit and humor makes everyone laugh. Now, if we could just get A&E to stop airing those awful previews for the shows about the 911 reinactments and kids killing their parents, we'd be golden. My daughter is terrified to watch DD live b/c of the commercials. Thank you, Willie, Jase, Si, Phil and the rest of your quacky family for such a fun show!

from Matt Allen wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

this show is the main reason i went back to church. over the years i lost the spirt of god and one day i started watching the show and felt a joy though out my body and realized i needed help to b me. thanks also found the women im going to share the rest of my life with. its been best year of my life. thanks again

from Matt Allen wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from hollygolightly wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

One really should not have to ask why this show is so GREAT! People, including myself, are tired of the horrible TV shows that are airing now. This show covers everything that real people represent. Family, Faith, Food and Fun!!! People like people who have worked hard to get where they are, they like to see people like themselves. I for one, find it comforting to know that they are others like my family. Give people a show that shows love and goodness and I believe they will choose good over evil. I still have faith in humanity!

from Kay Taylor wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

It reminds people that faith, morals,personal responsibility, family and friends are really what its all about.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Best Show on TV....though I have to say I prefered the original Duck Commander show because there was some shooting.
They are a really nice family. Jase is a real shooter and funny as Hell. Their Uncle cracks me up, the wives are cute ( the youngest brother's wife is a knock out)and the kids are sweet. THEY ARE the American Sporting family and a great example of what all families shoud be. Good for them!

from Amy Blair wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

We love this show because it is funny funny funny and makes us happy happy happy. Too much evil in the world it's self to continue watching all the tragedies that happen on the over-rate hospital/cop/FBI programs. We need more laughter in the world stagged or not. Thanks Robertson Family for sharing your family with ours 30 minutes at a pop! Amy B.-Texas

from Amy Blair wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Johanna Allen S... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I like the show because they have so many funny one-liners that are quotable. The Robertsons represent what many American families have left behind. Values that many of us have forgotten to hold on to. If I am having a bad day, I play re-runs of Duck Dynasty that I have saved on Tivo and I quickly have a smile on my face.

from Jaynie Nowell-Snoke wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Duck Dynasty is all about family values. There is a light dose of religion (the family is very spiritual) and plain old good manners in every show. There are no divorces, the children say yes ma'am, no ma'am and yes sir, no sir and despite their business successes, they are family-oriented, down-to-earth people. It would have been so easy for A&E to present these people as caricatures of rednecks, but they have exquisitely portrayed the dignity and love among this family. Moreover, it sets a grand example of how family life ought to be.

from Shannon Clarkso... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I like that they are a "regular" family, that has real family values, they center their lives on God, and that children are important in their family. Some of my favorite episodes includes Phil's conversations with his grandkids- more kids need their grandparents teaching them. I love the family prayer at the end of the episode. It's a funny show and they live the way I would want to live - so different than the reality TV's shows that are so far from "reality" that I wouldn't even associate with the people. I watch very little TV and I'm not ashamed to tell anyone that this show is a "can't miss" for my family.

from Fred Simbro wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Finally a Good show that is NOT afraid to talk about guns, family & God!

Family tv is BACK!! Bring on the Duck, Jack!!

from Nick Welch wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

My family has been watching DD for quite some time. We love it! Here are the 5 reasons that we love these bearded rednecks.

1-FUNNY. Our entire family can watch this show together. Its funny, entertaining, & clean. How many shows on TV can say that?
2-FAMILY. It is family oriented. So many shows (reality or otherwise) focus on what's wrong with families. This show focusses on what's great about families while acknowledging that no family is perfect. It also doesn't shy away from affirming traditional male/female roles in the house. The wives respect their husbands, the husbands love their wives, & the children honour their parents. No, not perfectly, but consistently.
3-FRUGALITY. Most reality shows follow people flaunting what they have & doing their best to get more. These are millionaires who fix their own sinks, put up their own Christmas lights, & run their own errands. Our country needs more of that.
4-FACIAL HAIR. I have a big beard. I catch grief for it constantly. Our culture is becoming increasingly sissified (or yuppified according to Phil) & this puts that wonderful external expression of masculinity on display for all to see. Plus it gives me great one liners to use on people who disrespect my beard.
5-FAITH. It is very refreshing to see a family of people who worship Christ & acknowledge God without shame or apology. They give thanks for God's creation, provision, & salvation openly in every episode. It is well known that Phil has regularly preached in his church, at conferences, & events around the country for many years.

So there are my top 5 reasons why Duck Dynasty makes my family & I "happy happy happy!"

from Ness Warren wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

they are everyday country people.they are about family and friends.teaching their kids to be better people. also that you dont need a bunch of money or the latest things to be happy.they are,country rednecks like my husband and myself.ive seen them do things that we have done.

from Angie Burgess wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

We love how the family has had so much financial success, but doesn't really act like it. Their family values, how they raise their kids (sending them to Grandma and Grandpa's house when they need some direction), don't really seem to be compromised by their wealth. Their money hasn't really caused them to resort to snobbery or materialism. They still pray to God, and clearly have great love for one another. Plus, they are hilarious and don't conform to other people's standards.......and Phil, Miss Kay, and Si are awesome!!!

from Donna Biggersta... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

OH my it is the best show on TV. First and Foremost they are a FAMILY. They play,work,eat and PRAY together.They show that being a family is still important. Dad Phil and Mom Kay try to teach the grandchildren Morals and to pass on the traditions of life on so that they will remember where their roots come from. It is just and over all good family,funny show. Give it a watch and see You will be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!

from Teresa Thayer Best wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Love this show! It is a truly wholesome show with family values displayed. All about faith, family, and fun Jack!

from Tammy Chaney wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

America started breaking down when the employees became numbers and families fell apart. This show renews faith and proves a point. This family is a prime example of what a family should be and do for each other. Willie has a rough time keeping the guys working all the time because they are family, but they manage to get the job done and in the process they have alot of fun. I just love them all!

from Terina Crowell wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I believe this show teaches the views a simpler way of living. Living off the land, and thanking God for this way. They have the money to live like kings, but money isn't ruling their world. They have strong Family ties, and have their differences, but still live in harmony.

from hansaskatoon wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Looks like ZZ Top traded in their guitars for shotguns...

from Myles Johnson wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

This program is teaching the youth and their parents the true meaning of family as it was no hi tech just common sense love and care. Happy Happy Happy !!!
Will continue to be a favorite show like Mayberry and the Goodlife. May God keep bless and keep you.

from jcs9095 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I love this show, the guys are extremely funny and they are good old country people

from hutter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Phill was a great quarterback for Alabama before Terry Bradshaw played there. Funny to see the photo of him B.B. (before beard)

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

from smccardell wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

That's a fact, JACK!

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Nick Welch wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Donna Biggersta... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Hi...

Haven't watched it yet, but am always glad to hear another success story.

I'll have to watch an episode now.

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I, for one, ain't no yuppy kid! Love this show! It makes me happy happy happy!

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Hi...

I'll keep on the watch for more of their reruns.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Ga hunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Brandon DeGarmo wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

there just good people ...uncle si is my favorite ..what an awesome show!!!

from Cynthia Hicks G... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Clayton Wright ... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Angie Burgess wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Teresa Thayer Best wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Not surprised that show is funny and very entertaining.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from TAM9492 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from cTXn wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Its a show that makes you want to be a part of the family.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

HEY! I love this show it makes me laugh till I cry.
God Bless Them,
Seth

from outdoorsman170 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from buckstopper wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Did they not used to have a show about duck hunting?

from Matt Allen wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Matt Allen wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from hollygolightly wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Kay Taylor wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Amy Blair wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Amy Blair wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Johanna Allen S... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Jaynie Nowell-Snoke wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Shannon Clarkso... wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Fred Simbro wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Finally a Good show that is NOT afraid to talk about guns, family & God!

Family tv is BACK!! Bring on the Duck, Jack!!

from Ness Warren wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Tammy Chaney wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Terina Crowell wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from hansaskatoon wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Looks like ZZ Top traded in their guitars for shotguns...

from Myles Johnson wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago