New York Residents Can Now Take Hunter Safety Course Online

Field Notes

July 31, 2013

New York Residents Can Now Take Hunter Safety Course Online

By Ben Romans

New York’s hunters-in-training can now enroll in a portion of the state-required hunter’s education course online at hunter-ed.com/newyork/. The online course lets anyone learn the material—a mix of text, video, and interactive media—at their own pace and to retake quizzes after relearning anything they misunderstood.

“With the new videos and the ability to take the course even on a smartphone, this is a great option for those New York students who wish to take the online course to satisfy the home study portion of hunter education. Students will still need to complete the hands-on field day portion of the course before they can be certified to hunt in New York,” he stated. He suggest that students sign up for a home-study course first to be sure they can complete all instruction.

New York requires anyone 12 years old or older to pass a hunter’s safety course before the state will issue him or her a hunting license. Students also can take the online ortion of the New York hunter safety course on a smartphone, tablet, e-reader, laptop, or Internet TV. The course pages automatically adjust to fit any device with no app required to see the videos, graphics or animations.

from Bioguy01 wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Well it's about time! NY needed this option about 10 years ago!

from ITHACASXS wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Though some instructors can be a bit hokey, and there is always a know-it-all who wants to debate any or all, there still is something good to be said for those classes. You have old-timers sharing their hunting experiences(good and bad) with the new people and young folks. You have good people being able to put in sensible terms, why we do what we do and how also to be inviting to those who don't know (getting more all the time) about the outdoors, wildlife, life and death in the wild, hunting and firearms. I've sat in more than a few classes(I've taken my kids and others) since 1974, and I have never been bored.

from coachsjike wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

god forbid anyone set time aside and make an actual commitment to go out and take their hunter safety course in person instead we take it online in the comfort of our own homes!!! hey maybe we can create an app for our smart phones where we can shoot the deer too from our couch! only new york state would create such a mess. lets face it, you can't have a gun anymore where there are more than seven rounds in it, can't drink more than 16 oz of soda at one time, a mayor and gov who both think they rank higher than god themselves, and a mayor to be exposing himself to the public on a regular basis and admitting it!!! is there anything else i missed?

from MattM37 wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Only New York State, coachsjike? There are about thirty other states that offer the course online. Not that you're wrong about NYS being mightily messed up in general.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

I see the value of a class room experience, and I will certainly try to get my kids into an actual class when the time comes, but there is nothing wrong with an online class. A conscientious student will learn just as much in an online class as in a classroom.

from TM wrote 37 weeks 8 hours ago

I enjoyed my live course in September 1992. As I recall, it was spread over 3 different evenings.

I read the proposal, and I don't think it's a bad idea. There still is a five hour live "field session" that must be completed to get your license. Only the textbook session is online. I agree with others who think an in person component is necessary.

Here's why I like the change. It's a lot easier for a working person or a high school student to show up for one session than to clear the decks or to make travel arrangements for two or three sessions.

This is doubly true for the seven million residents of Kings, Queens, Bronx, and New York counties. There are very few live courses (like one in each county) offered. A resident of Manhattan or Brooklyn or Queens who wants to hunt in NY (a field and stream intern, perhaps) can take the online course, and schedule a weekend field test. They can then go hunt ducks in Suffolk County or deer in the Adirondacks, (provided they can access a gun -- but that's a horse of a different color).

from NY Survivor wrote 36 weeks 4 days ago

I believe that it is a good idea. However I do question as to why if you take the regular class it is free but if you take the online course that you have to pay for it.

from jhjimbo wrote 36 weeks 3 days ago

I started hunting in N.Y. before the Hunter Safety course was offered. When it became available I took it. Still have the original card. I can still see in my minds eye the instructor and remember the Q&A of the class. Also, some years later I took the archery training course.
I think the computer will bring the class work to a lot more future hunters and then maybe a portion of the field day could be used to answer any questions or clear up any part of the computer course they may have.

from dseelman wrote 23 weeks 2 days ago

Beware of this. My brother-in-law took this course and paid $24 after passing the test. This DOES NOT get you the hunter safety certificate. If you look closely it says there are three steps. Step 3 is:
Attend and Pass the Required Home Study

Take your Home Study Voucher to the New York Hunter Education Home Study Course as proof that you completed the online course. After successfully completing the required Home Study course, your permanent Hunter Education Certificate will be issued to you by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.

There currently is only one place you can do this and it is very far from where we live.

from coachsjike wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Well it's about time! NY needed this option about 10 years ago!

from ITHACASXS wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago