Hunters and Protesters Prepare for Squirrel Slam in Holley, NY

Field Notes

January 27, 2014

Hunters and Protesters Prepare for Squirrel Slam in Holley, NY

By Phil Bourjaily

The little town of Holley, NY, population 1,800, will once again be the site of what must be the nation’s largest one-day squirrel hunt when the eighth annual “Squirrel Slam” takes place on Feb. 22, according to Democrat & Chronicle.

The slam is a fundraiser for the Holley Fire Department. Last year’s event drew some 1,000 participants, each of whom purchased a $10 ticket to vie for cash prizes. Last year’s Squirrel Slam also attracted the attention of 100 animal rights protesters who rallied in front of the Holley firehouse and chanted “Shame, shame, shame on you,” while a group of counter-protesters responded with “Squirrels taste good.”

Animal rights protesters plan to return to Holley this year. In addition, two bills — Senate Bill #4074 and Assembly Bill #03661 — both of which would ban hunting contests, have been introduced into the New York legislature.

Athough the Holley Fire Department has picked a date for the hunt, there is no mention of the event on the department’s website nor have officials returned reporters' calls. Nonetheless, some believe the controversy surrounding the event will increase participation in this year’s Squirrel Slam.

Hunters as young as 12 years old are paired up in teams of two for the contest. Awards are given for the heaviest squirrel and the heaviest bag of five squirrels. Hunters must obey all laws and bag limits.

from T. Edward Nickens wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

As Field & Stream's unofficial (but uncontested) Squirrel Editor, I can only say: What is the nearest airport to Holley, NY?

from CL3 wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

I just had a Squirrel Pot Pie last night. It was delicious.

from Mark-1 wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Hunger Games!!!

from Mark-1 wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Actually, it's rather sad to see all this *selective outrage* on these types of hunts.

IMHO the worse has been shown for live pigeon shoots. If memory and history serves me, live pigeon shoots began by some enterprising guns in England to deal with disposal of vermin pigeons trapped in cities and farms.

The wailing & angst shown nowadays towards these birds being shot in contests is baffling since most folks and gov't entities see pigeons as vermin in the same light as rats.

It's OK to drown, gas, pop pigeons with air pistols in cages and throw the remains in the land fill, but Lord help us to shoot a pigeon at 32-yds with a shotgun & on a bet!!!!

from philbourjaily wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Eddie -- You fly into Rochester, NY. If only they took all the squirrels shot on Slam day and made the world's largest Brunswick stew!

from Joe Wilson wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

As the president of Squirrels Unlimited, the countries largest squirrel hunting organization, we completely support the event.
Unfortunately with the heritage of squirrel hunting in constant decline, it is hard to find support by other hunting/conservation groups to help defend this local hunt.
As a stepping stone squirrel hunting teaches all of the critical aspects a hunter needs, to learn the woods.
As a band of common threads, all areas of hunting should support this event. Because just as squirrel hunting gets young hunters involved in the outdoors, the protesters will use squirrel to get a louder voice for the ongoing interest in taken from all of us.
For more information on Squirrelsunlimited.com go to our site.

from Live4Bowhunting wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

My wife and daughters used to feed the tree rats around the house until they chewed through my screened in back deck and did about 5 grand worth of damage to the house. Now every one I see gets 30 grains of lead to the head. My neighbor has a freezer that I toss them in and has made several nice pot pie's, deep fried and pan fried dishes out of these buggers.

from DSMbirddog wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Considering that this is occurring in NY leads me to believe one of those bills will become law. Personally, if the hunters are only taking their limit then there shouldn't be a problem. Generally, I believe squirrels are under utilized in most states.

from SMC1986 wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Nothing wrong with some squirrel meat! I've got a few in the freezer I'm planning to make that braised squirrel recipe that was in the magazine a few months ago. Plus here in MD Squirrel and Rabbit is about the only thing to hunt in February after deer bow season closes.

from nehunter92 wrote 11 weeks 4 days ago

Joe Wilson

I didn’t even know that “Squirrels Unlimited” was a thing until your post. I may have to consider joining, as do believe that Squirrels are among our most vital (and underappreciated) game animals. I myself think there’s nothing quite like stalking up on a nice fat Gray Squirrel on a colorful October morning.

from nehunter92 wrote 11 weeks 4 days ago

Joe Wilson

from ITHACASXS wrote 11 weeks 3 days ago

Mr. Nickens, fly into Buffalo NY (or Niagara Falls), Holley is but a pleasant drive away. If you do come visit, we have so much more to eat that's really good besides chicken wings.We'll have you leave plumper than a squirrel living in the corncrib. My favorite squirrel load is #4's out of a light 20 gauge.

from ITHACASXS wrote 11 weeks 3 days ago

If you've been watching the weather channel, you'll know to bring extra long drawers too.

from HerOpinion1st wrote 8 weeks 1 day ago

If squirrels are rodents as many people say why don't you hunters go into areas infested with rats and feast on them instead? I don't see people in parks feeding rats but I do see them enjoying the company of squirrels.
Rat Stew, anyone?

from T. Edward Nickens wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

from philbourjaily wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

from CL3 wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

I just had a Squirrel Pot Pie last night. It was delicious.

from Mark-1 wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Hunger Games!!!

from Mark-1 wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

from Joe Wilson wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

For more information on Squirrelsunlimited.com go to our site.

from Live4Bowhunting wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago