Dear Joe, They Stole My Muskie

The Lateral Line

July 23, 2009

Dear Joe, They Stole My Muskie

By Joe Cermele

Last week, I got an email from loyal F&S reader Butch Cole. The photo you see below was attached. Butch writes:

"I was wondering if I could trouble you to post a picture of this 50 inch muskie somewhere for the world to see. It was stolen from me. I had it on display in a local motel and apparently someone decided they needed it more than I did. I am offering a no questions asked reward for the return or the location of it. It was stolen in Park Rapids, Minnesota."

In my opinion, you've really got to suck at life to steal another man's fish mount. The cost is really irrelevant. What matters is that fish mounts have personal meaning. Assuming whoever stole Butch's trophy is telling folks he or she caught it, then they have gone well beyond standard fishing lies to a wicked low point. They don't deserve to call themselves a fisherman.

I own 6 fish mounts, and though each one is special to me, it's not the fish as much as the story behind them that holds meaning. For example, my first mount was a 20-inch brown trout. While that's no great shakes as far as brownies go, it was my first 20-inch trout on a fly rod using a fly I tied. I also have a 200-pound tarpon replica, and although my fiance says such a thing belongs only in a seafood restaurant and not in a residence, I'm fairly certain I'll never catch one that big again. So that 7 1/2-foot fish resides on an 8-foot wall in my house.

Point being, without the story, mounts become meaningless objects, and to take that away from someone and create a false tale because you don't have the know-how or patience to gather you're own epic tales on the water is a sad atrocity.

Butch, I think it's a long shot, but hopefully you'll get your fish. If nothing else, I'm sure the people on this site will have no problem expressing their feelings for the muskie thief. If you do see this muskie, Butch's email is catchbutchcole@hotmail.com - JC

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

What a jerk. I hope he finds who stole this, and gets it back.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Taking claim for another mans accomplishment is pretty sad. I really hope he gets this back. Good luck.

from senkoman12 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

stealing a mount that is very sad i hope that fish mount is found

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Amen.

from muskiehunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Catch the bastard and hang him with some 70# mono and a a set of 3-o hooks hanging off a 12" Suick!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

sons a bitches!

from weve_25 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

It was probably some idiot animal rights activist. I bet you could find them at the lake trying to release it :)

Seriously though... I hope you find your trophy and the jackasses who stole it.

from seadog wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Whoever stole it should go drown himself. I hope he gets it back.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

wow what a low life. I hope you can find out who did such as doing something such as looking up the records of who was there that day and maybe getting the authorities involved. Who knows maybe you can pull of a CSI thing. You have my empathy for something like this.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Grrrr.

I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

hope you find your mount I got one of a 10 point buck that i shot at 2 yards. i was sitting in my ground blind it was about 30 minutes before the end of legal light. he stepped out next to my blind and i took the shot. there was powder burns on the shoulder.

from Backwoods Hunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

It's really sad to see how far people will go these days just to get or claim they got a trophy animal. I for one hope someone finds it.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Some people's kids! I agree about the animal right's activist comment too- sheer genius!

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

NICE FISH!!I HOPE YOU GET IT BACK.ITS REAL SAD THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT RATHER STEAL SOMEONES ACHIEVEMENTS THEN PRODUCE THERE OWN.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Most hotels have security cameras.
I think I would do a little detective work and see if I couldn't get a list of the people that stayed at the hotel,the night in question.

Also,I would question some of the hired help,I'll bet someone that works there, knows where it is.

I have a replica of the Kentucky State record deer, and a buddy that owns a restaurant wanted to display it. After reading this article,I'll have to re-think my situation.
Thanks for sharin'Joe... that is one nice wall hanger!
I'm sure it's sadly missed!

from WIfisher27 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

nice fish, who would honestly have that crappy of a life to steal a fish mount?

from Peter Campbell wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

One thing is for sure; Whoever stole it is not man enough to sit on a boat and bait a hook. He (if that is even acceptable) probably pees himself at the touch of fish slime. In one word: Despicible.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Nice fish Butch. Sorry it was stolen. I hope you find the mount and the thief gets what he deserves.

from muskiehunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Thanks everyone, for the comments. I have talked with the police, unless it falls out of the sky into their lap they'll never even look. The motel did have security cameras, but it was somehow "turned off" for a few days when this disappeared. I had 2 bear mounts, 2 deer mounts, a walleye, a northern pike and this muskie at the motel. Everything else was left untouched. I'm thinking the owner of the RUSTIC INN MOTEL, in PARK RAPIDS MINNESOTA knows exactly where it is. She's a douche bag. I think she needed some cash as her motel business wasn't doing soo good, so she sold the mount(my theory anyway), or she simply gave it away to piss me off. Hoping someone has seen it or has some other ideas for tracking it down. Remeber the name, THE RUSTIC INN MOTEL, if you stay there, watch everything like a hawk! I'll post again later, if/when it turns up. Thanks for the support.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

That is a whole new type of "cruel" and "low"... it makes me mad that people can not even hang things on walls without having to worry about them being stolen. I understand the economy is bad but c'mon!

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

that's just low, to steal another man's mount

from abmcp13 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Who one Earth would steal someone's mount!? That is absolutely terrible. I only have one mount, a forty three inch musky, my first legal musky. I cought it when I was seventeen. I see big musky mounts all the time, but I have never once thought of stealing them. That is below low, whoever did that should be turned into Musky bait

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. chad lavin studio. www.lavinstudio.com

from weve_25 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Seriously though... I hope you find your trophy and the jackasses who stole it.

from muskiehunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

What a jerk. I hope he finds who stole this, and gets it back.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

sons a bitches!

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Backwoods Hunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from senkoman12 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

stealing a mount that is very sad i hope that fish mount is found

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Amen.

from seadog wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Whoever stole it should go drown himself. I hope he gets it back.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Grrrr.

I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Most hotels have security cameras.

Thanks for sharin'Joe... that is one nice wall hanger!
I'm sure it's sadly missed!

from WIfisher27 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

nice fish, who would honestly have that crappy of a life to steal a fish mount?

from Peter Campbell wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago