Take Somebody Flyfishing in 2010

FlyTalk

December 31, 2009

Take Somebody Flyfishing in 2010

By Tim Romano

I've been sitting here on the last day of the year bashing my head against the keyboard, thinking what to post about. It should be eloquent and thought provoking, right? Problem is we all know that Deeter's way better at that stuff. Heck, I call him half the time for punctuation and grammar questions. Besides, it's my day to blog.

Perhaps it should be something really standout like a whole seasons worth of photographs. Like the spring, summer, and fall slide shows from the past year.  Probably not going to work either... You folks have seen all of those shots.

Then I started thinking about ...

how lucky I've been to have shot stories on fishy things for Field & Stream. Ranging from my friend's steelhead operation in BC, or the aerial stocking piece on the Colorado DOW.

Reading Mr. Merwin's post yesterday got me thinking. Resolutions are good things (I think) and if I'm going to do one in regards to fishing in 2010 it's going to give back to this great sport and all it's given me. Not with money. I'm simply going to teach anyone who shows the slightest bit of interest in fly fishing how to do it. Perhaps give them an old rod or reel and get them on the water. I've had plenty of gluttonous days on my own.  It's time to give back. The more people we have involved in fishing, the stronger our conservation, land management, and fisheries will become.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Good post, I'll try to do the same.

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

And with the right pupil, teaching is often as rewarding and fun as doing it yourself. Good luck.

from CFG7613 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

My resolution is to get up off my big butt and get in the field...fish more, hunt more etc and not gauge my success by what, if anything, is bagged,,,but by how good of a time I had. Years ago upon arriving home from a day in the field, I got my wife and kids to stop asking me if I killed anything ...but if I had a good time. I could always answer "Yes!" Happy New Year to everybody!!

from Bookie12 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Great Post and great idea....I will do the same!! Happy New Year!!

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Wonderful Post and Excellent idea...I'm taking my nephew next time..Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

from jamesti wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

as soon as someone teaches me to fly fish competently, i will be more than happy to pass it along. everything i've learned, i taught myself and that's not much. happy new year. hopefully after this year i will actually know what i'm doing.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Tried it once learned while in a canoe... fun and maybe I'll do it again.

Thanks to my father in law.

from shermanator wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

i wish to learn but no one in my family does it and no one else in our area knows how to so i would love to learn how to

from rdorman wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

taking some young fly fishers(younger) to erie for their first steelhead trip, also getting two friends into it

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

That is a fine resolution TR. Happy New Year to you and your family.

from YooperJack wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

My New Year's resolution this year is to learn fly fishing. I could be speaking from ignorance but isn't the most important aspect, knowing which flies to use and when to use them? Or is it presentation? I'm looking forward to buying a book on this subject. I remember that one of the Field and Stream writers had one coming out soon. Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance.
YooperJack

from timromano wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

yooper,

of course I'm biased on the subject, but Kirk's new book is pretty remarkable for learning fly fishing.

Check it out here...

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I love taking new people fly fishing. They usually hate it for the first few times, but sooner or later they start to like it.

Matter of fact, I'm hoping to hold a fly fishing clinic in March or April with one of my co-workers. We did one in early December of 2009 that (hopefully) recruited 17 more people to the wonderful sport of fly fishing...!

from jamesti wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from shermanator wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Good post, I'll try to do the same.

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from CFG7613 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from Bookie12 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Great Post and great idea....I will do the same!! Happy New Year!!

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Tried it once learned while in a canoe... fun and maybe I'll do it again.

Thanks to my father in law.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

That is a fine resolution TR. Happy New Year to you and your family.

from YooperJack wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago