Romano: More Fly Fishing Photography Tips

FlyTalk

October 22, 2010

Romano: More Fly Fishing Photography Tips

By Tim Romano

Yesterday I had the pleasure of fishing with friend and professional photographer Louis Cahill. He's shot all over the world, and almost any subject you can think of—from fly fishing ad campaigns to famous people like president Carter and Ice Cube. Needless to say the dude knows what he's talking about.

We were joined by guide Kent Klewein. Owner of Reel Job Fishing. He's THE guy for fly fishing in Northern Georgia and parts of southern North Carolina as well. His guide service can put you on anything from native brookies to smallies with rafts or full-on bass boats.

We fished the absolutely spectacular Nantahala River Gorge in North Carolina and had a great day catching multiple species of trout. When I asked these two if they'd provide our readers with a couple tips on photographing fish, they readily obliged.

Enjoy the video.

—TR

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

that fish just became the single most photographed fish in just a few seconds......good tips.

from Woodstock wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

A good friend of mine regularly contributes pictures to major magazines and catalogs. For awhile, he had me posing with fish, and taught me much of what Cahill says here.

My career ended, however, when an editor commented on some of my friend’s pictures: “There’s some nice shots there, but can you get somebody else to hold the fish? Our readers don’t want to see a guy who looks like a grizzled Shiite terrorist…”

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I wonder how many cameras Louis has dropped in the drink? Or better yet, how many has Tim sunk in his travels? Do you keep it a secret or is it a badge of honor among pro. photographers?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

wow! how many pics do you need of one fish?

from timromano wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

buck,

Kind of a badge of honor...

I think Louis said he's dunked a couple. Myself? Luckily none although I have dropped a $500 spot meter in a pool. That one hurt.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Fished with a guy from Phoenix this summer that had a water proofed digital. I got a good sized brown, and he had me hold it under water, and then he held the camera underwater, and up close getting HEAD SHOTS..my hands were out of the way. Some very impressive pics of the fish's head with the fly in its mouth.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Sayfu,

I purchased an Olympus Stylus 8010 last year and love it. It is water proof and shock proof. I have swam in the ocean with it in my pocket and have dropped it out of my treestand and it has survived.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

buckhunter,
If it has a macro, close up setting try one of those underwater shots IF the water is clear...just the head shot with lure/fly in the mouth, hands out of the way. It is impressive.

from fflutterffly wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I can't tell you how many times I've taken my $5,000 camera down to the water to take photo's with rapid exposures with a fast lens. I love his work but give us something we can use with our Pentax opti. Love his work, admire his skill.
Good advice on holding the fish and getting the fins.

from timromano wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

fflutterffly,

Just pretend it's your Pentax opti. Everything is exactly the same. Holding the fish, letting go, composing the image. Just pretend...

from TimberDoodle wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Good video. For rapid shots like that, is he able to use autofocus or is he setting the focus manually ahead of time and just letting it rip?

from timromano wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

TimberDoodle,

Pretty sure he's using autofocus and refocussing every time he lets off the shutter. The only way to do that using manually would be to look, compose and make sure that you or the subject do not move towards or away from each other. It might work if you stopped all the way down with F-stops, but that's another discussion...

hope that makes sense,

Tim

from bmcgeehan wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I spend a lot of time on the water providing Montana fishing trips as a guide and outfitter in Bozeman, MT. One of the best trophies our clients can take home with them is a great photo of their fish before being released. The biggest mistake I see folks making is including too much scenery in their photos. I coach them to zoom in so the fish takes up the entire frame. Shots of just parts of the trout are also really fun...like just the head or tail.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

wow! how many pics do you need of one fish?

from Woodstock wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

buck,

Kind of a badge of honor...

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Sayfu,

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

buckhunter,

from fflutterffly wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Good advice on holding the fish and getting the fins.

from timromano wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago