What Does Flyfishing Teach Us?

FlyTalk

March 19, 2009

What Does Flyfishing Teach Us?

By Tim Romano

After watching this repurposed commercial for the San Antonio Express-News, via Moldychum it got me thinking, what does fly fishing teach me?

To watch my backcast?

In all seriousness... It's the age old question - everybody has a different answer and honestly I'm not sure that I have an eloquent and knowledgeable reply as I expect it to be a while before I truly figure it out. I'd love to hear what fly fishing teaches you folks though. Got some wisdom? Let us hear it.

TR

from Evan V wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

LOL what an ad!
But fly fishing teaches me treasure hunting, what baitfish a creek has, and where to fish where theres no cell reception so no one can pester you.

from MLH wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Patience, humility, tolerance, appreciation, conservation, skill, and human nature.

Love the vid! That guy has eyes in the back of his head.

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

LOL, cool video, I shared it with a few buds...

As a kid, I grew up chuckin' nightcrawlers to spring rainbows and browns...I didnt begin seriously flyfishing until I was a teenager...I think that in the 70's and 80's flyfishing and flyfishing media sort of took on a touchy-feely, answer-to-life's-problems kind of bent...It was magical, it was mystical, kinda snobbish and only to be practiced by those possessing the keenest skill and knowledge...LOL!

Thankfully, our sport has grown by leaps and bounds and people have realized that, most of the time, one can catch just as many fish with a $50 starter-kit as you can with a Winston...

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

One of the funnier ads I've seen in a while. How come there are never women that look like that were I fish?

from Brian W. Thair wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Peace. After 35+ years flyfishing, I know only that there is a zen satisfaction standing in the water and trying to coax a strike with my flies and the rod that I built. No, not sorry, I won't come ashore to talk to you.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Norman said it best,

Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

from flyfishergirl wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Patience and respect.

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Patience definitely. I think fly fishing is also one of the most artistic sporting activities a person can be involved with as well. Especially if you tie flies, you must use your imagination if you are tying/designing your own flies. I think it also teaches you how to read water and it makes you learn about aquatic life in general. Because if you don't, you don't catch any fish.......

from elkslayer wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

sounds like buck hunter has watched "a river runs through it" one to many time. I've been fly-fishing since I was a kid and I've never pondered life's mysteries while on the water. Fly-fishing is just a fun way to catch fish. So what has flyfishing taught me,...nothing that I couldn't have learned with a spinning rig.

from benjismokin wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

I have never "fly-fished" but I do use a fly-rod. I can say from experience that fly-fishing has taught me alot! From patience to stealth, its all envolved. You have to know a little something about trout and the creek and the process in which you are going to fish. Its sall something that comes with the teachings of going out every chance you get. Its like a text-book that has new pages everytime you open it!

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Elkslayer,
You better take that back or the Fly Fishing Gods will curse you. If you mess with the Gods even 2x tippet will break on a 10 inch trout. :)

Seriously it's hard to put into word what I have learned. I've learned practical things. Never wade too deep, never cast too much, never assume a certian fly will hatch, the wind always blows in your face, blah blah blah.

I've learned other things. You just can't fly fish with anyone. You seem closer to your fly fishing buddy than your bass fishing buddy. I love to go to places where trout live, blah blah blah.

I think what TR wants to hear is this. Flyfishing is beyond sport and a day off work. It's beyond the challange and beyond the number of fish you catch. It's a combination of a sunrise, cold water on your feet and a dimple on the water. Flyfishing hides thought. It has no mood and ask for nothing. There are no levels or grades and no pass and fail.

To best describe what fly fishing has taught me is that for one afternoon I can simply be a dog sleeping on the front porch. No cares. No worries. No right. No wrong.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Buckhunter, I hope for your sake that you bass buddies don't frequent this site. If they do you'd better hope that they are 1) the forgiving type and/or 2) you're the one with the boat.

As for the question at hand, and what a question it is, I'd like to echo a few more of Maclean's transcendent words...

"It is not fly fishing if you are not looking for the answers to questions"

One thing fly fishing has taught me is that there's often more than one right answer to things but if you have only a few answers it can be a mighty long while before the river asks the right questions. In other words, you'd damn well better be adaptable, and that can be applied to all aspects of life.

from Wags wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

That Rhododendrums (sp?) love flies and 6x tippet. That the fly you just lost in a Rhoddie is the one the feeding trout is hitting. How to tie knots (through repetition). Wound graphite can be VERY fragile, usually at very inconvenient times. I should have been here last week. At any point in time, even those on the fast track to sainthood can become a BIG LIAR. A new definition of the word "buggywhip". Little hooks can and will impale human skin, even through an overpriced article of clothing. I can be convinced that equipment will help overcome my lack of skill (this was also taught to me by the game of golf). Yarn indicators appear to fish to be more "organic" than foam indicators (for Deet). Bourbon and Dr. Pepper ain't half bad in a pinch. The person newest to fly fishing will likely take the largest fish of the trip, usually when not paying attention and letting a fly hang in the current. Having a buddy who is new to fly fishing catch the biggest fish is ALMOST as fun as catching the fish yourself. That I need to spend a little more time on the water with my kids.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

In addition to what has already been stated I will add that this simple pleasure creates wonderful memories and fantastic stories especially when accompanied by your children.

from fflutterffly wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Value in all things that I accomplish and pursue. Fly fishing teaches me patience, reliance and forward thinking. Appreciation of nature, wilderness, tenacity. It's also a great excuse for getting out when there is so much to do around the house.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

yooper,
I've got the boat.

I just can't get enough of Maclean. Great post!

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

I must confess, I've never been fly fishing, and have never entertained the idea until joining up with F&S.

I do however fish in bass tournaments from time to time,and I can always be found busting farm ponds for bass and panfish.

But, these articles have whet my appetite for fishing the fly.
While I was out casting for bass two days ago,the weather was in the mid seventies, I happened on a contractor, who was fly fishing the shallows of a local pond/lake early one morning.

I couldn't help myself but watch in total awe, as he delivered and integrated, the fly and the line, to the transparency of the surface and water below.

After a few moments of salivating, I found that I was standing a few yards from him, as he cast his mysterious and enchanting line several more times. I became even more vexed as time faded, and was completly enthralled,when he caught a sizeable bluegill, on what I supposed was natures finest.

The bluegill fought valiantly as the angler played him like a fiddle. Then the unimaginable happened! A large bass, about an eight pounder,engulfed the bluegill, and consumed it whole,or at least I thought. The contractor/angler,set the hook and the large bass headed for parts unknown. He disappeared into the deep, dark depths, but the fisherman guided him back into shallower water, where the lake was clearer.

The bass pulled a Houdini! The large eight pounder, simply opened his mouth and the half scared blugill swam out, as quick as he was swallowed.

The angler in his haste, won the contest in his tug-of-war. In a moments notice the stranger asked, as the large bass escaped,"did you see that?"
Did I see that? In all of its glory ...gotta get me one of those fly rods!

from jamesti wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

i've learned that no matter how sure you are that you've got the sport figured out, you really don't.

from Jacee wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Love the commercial. I guess I just learned not to fly fish in a bikini!

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Patience, and tranquility. That's all I've learned through fly fishing. Now for the attitude, I get that from spending too much time in the big houses.

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

ever fished the gallatin river in the summer?? tubers by the zillions, mostly college kids from bozeman. you wouldn't have to snag a bikini top on some of the girls as they float by, they won't have one on.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Elkslayer,

from Evan V wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

LOL what an ad!

from MLH wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Love the vid! That guy has eyes in the back of his head.

from KingFisher907 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

LOL, cool video, I shared it with a few buds...

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from Brian W. Thair wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Norman said it best,

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

"It is not fly fishing if you are not looking for the answers to questions"

from Wags wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

But, these articles have whet my appetite for fishing the fly.

Did I see that? In all of its glory ...gotta get me one of those fly rods!

from flyfishergirl wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Patience and respect.

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from benjismokin wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

yooper,
I've got the boat.

I just can't get enough of Maclean. Great post!

from Jacee wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Love the commercial. I guess I just learned not to fly fish in a bikini!

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago