Single-Handed Casting Distance Record Crushed

FlyTalk

August 05, 2009

Single-Handed Casting Distance Record Crushed

By Kirk Deeter

While we are on the topic of amazing accomplishments, I thought I'd pass this little bonus bulletin along...

Steve Rajeff of G. Loomis just broke the single hand fly cast distance record today at the American Casting Association's Nationals event in Toronto.

The cast went 243 feet, which broke Steve's own 236-foot record that has stood for 20 years.

Let me put that in perspective for all my Wolverine, and Buckeye, and Bulldog, and Tiger, and Longhorn, and (okay), even Irish friends who spend too much time watching college football like myself.

Mr. Rajeff punted from his own goal line... and stuck it inside the other team's 20-yard line.

With a fly rod. Good grief.

Deeter

from Johnnyras1624 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Well what was he using a 20 foot ultralight g loomis rod? Kinda like the guys that call ducks in a competition, no real practical use for it but i guess its kinda cool. I'd like to see a video of this though, that might impress me then. He probably didn't have leader on the fly line or a fly for that matter to get tangled up. I guess there's fly casters and then there's fly fishers, and everywhere in between. Thanks for the news anyway deet.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Wow! That Rajeff guy can cast.

Any specs on the rod? I doubt it was a 7ft 4wt.

Double hual?

I casted 90 feet once and thought it was pretty good. I ran out of fly line. 243 feet! Incredible.

BTW, Buckeyes don't punt. We play field position.

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

You fumble, Buckhunter. At least you did in the Cooper years (the golden age).

I have no clue yet on the setup, but will track that down.

And Johnny, you're right... there's casting, and then there's fishing (Rajeff is probably the best I've seen do either). In any case... that's an awfully sick punch of a line off a fly rod. Seriously, the sheer physics of it all... I'm giddy if I see my backing knot once a year, just playing around.

from vince wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Man, I wish there was a video of this!

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Impressive,

I am new to fly fishing, but a cast of that distance is very impressive to say the least.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

He must have had a lot of room to work... and also a lot of time to practice and make such an accomplishment.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

that is alot of line to have on a reel. I have watched the surf casting competition and that is a sight to see. but i think a fly competition would be better.

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

wow... 120+ is no mans land
but 243... i'm more curious about the line set up
say he shot 100 (which is insane), that means he was loading with 140

my knot sees the guides.... but never goes ripping out the tip

WOW

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

I'd like to see the specs of the competition, rules etc, and then see the rod that he was using. I've done some recent reading and found the common cents(google search) method of rod evaluation to show the real specs of any fly rod. If it was a 5 wt comp, I bet that rod has a 2 or 3 wt tip with the butt end of an 8 wt and it specs out to be a true 7 wt or something like that. Even at that, I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to hit 120 consistently single handed. Is there a results page for this? To compare what he did to what the other competitors did.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Or he could have used a 14 foot spey and a shooting head/ running line. I have used a setup like that and 150+ feet casts (Shooting) are normal.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

And your point being? So let me ask you this: What benefit is there to a cast that long? I know a boy and his toys, how fast can you go, how high can you jump. Don't get me wrong I think this is an incredible cast, but I am more impressed by the accuracy casting than distance. OK now you can all put minus's next to my post.

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

My point is that some guy is capable of casting a fly line 243 feet. That's pretty much it. Hope that helps.

(If your point is that casting and fishing are two different things entirely, I agree with you.)

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Right, Deeter we are on to something here...

Distance spotting, fishing tricos 243 feet away! you use a spotting scope attached to you're hat to spot the rise.

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

I don't understand you guys trying to completely disassemble this. Deeter's post was solely talking about how far he cast. Who cares what he was using, it was 243 feet! That is wicked far regareless of what he was using. I'd like to see what the records are for baitcasting and spincasting setups.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Distance casting was very popular way back when and is kept alive today by the manufacturers whom use it to showcase equipment and technology.

When I was a young'n I would stand in the backyard and see how far I could cast. Of course my equipment limited me but even so, laying out 243 feet of fly line is like landing on the moon. Incredible.

Also, Props to G.Loomis. Great rods and superb customer service.

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

whats not practical about this? am i the only person in the world who notices the subtle slurp of a 20 inch rainbow as he takes a blue winged olive of the lakes surface and then think to myself "man, if i could only throw my fly 233ft more i'd really be into the fish!".

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

That's like keepin' it in the strike zone,for almost the length of a football field!

Try settin' that hook with the RevereMaxx frogs on the end.

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

alex...

in your reoccurring braggart attempts you failed to see the words "single handed"

please feel free to post a video of you banging consistant and normal 150+

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Yes, my point exactly Deeter. I think it is an unbelievable distance and skill to throw a line that far. Imagine! I can't even wrap my head around that distance with a fly line.

from seadog wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

That's incredible. 243! I can't imagine doing half of that.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Yea, I did Ramcatt, and shooting a 550 grain spey line 150 feet is normal, I knew guys that did this in the surf for stripers that could cast 200 with a 9 wt switch.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

And 2Poppa, try a mend like that! that would be nuts If not impossible, and Ramcatt, have you even seen anyone cast spey before? the longer the rod usually mean a longer cast, and more line control, and a switch spey like what many of us great lakes steelhead and salmon fisherman use, is made to cast far with little effort.

from grhen wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

since the article mentions single handed distance the rod is no more than 9'9" long. Here are the tackle rules from the ACA rulebook:
B) Fly Distance, Singlehanded
i) Rod - The complete rod shall not exceed nine feet and nine inches (9'9") in length.
ii) Reel - Unrestricted, except reel must be attached to the rod and must be capable of holding the
entire line.
iii) Line
a) For Men, Senior Men, and Intermediate boys, the shooting head shall not be less than fortynine
feet three inches (49'3") in length and shall not weigh more than six hundred fifty (650)
grains.
b) For Women, Senior Women, and Intermediate girls, the shooting head shall not be less than
forty-four feet four inches (44'4") in length and shall not weigh more than five hundred twenty
four (524) grains.
c) Running line - Unrestricted.
iv) Leader - Shall consist of a single leader of natural or artificial gut or gut substitute and not longer
than twelve (12) feet nor shorter than six (6) feet in length.
v) Fly
a) Description - Official distance fly adopted by the Association. The hackle shall not be smaller
than five-eighths (5/8) inch in diameter.

The rules make it even more impressive.

from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

X-men are apparently real. What would this guy's moniker be?

If yer a bonefish from space, yer in big trouble.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

@ alex
WOW thats really amazing!
i'm really impressed how much you have accomplished every major milestone in fly fishing... without fail you seam to have already "done it" no matter the topic

yes i have 2 handed rods
and the 2hander means nothing about "line control"
rather... loading and forming larger D-loops

i thought you said 150+ was "normal" for you????
switch surf casting is not "spey" casting... its 2handed overhead
whats your 550g setup? skagit? with you 14ftr?
so what, a 56ft head...max? with a 15ft tip? 71ft total?
so your shooting 75+ consistently?
please show us we'd all love some pointers

stop trying to be a "know it all" and "one-upper" you just look less knowledgeable/creditable with every post

chill out

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from MLH wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

He’s also casting a fly on a leader? Just amazing. Takes technique and discipline. With all the right equipment and all the right conditions I still don't have the casting form and refined technique to even come close.

Years ago Bill Cairns gave us a casting demonstration at an Orvis class in Manchester. His distance was jaw-dropping - left and right handed. I still shake my head whenever I see the picture of him casting that beautifully looped line in the Orvis stores/catalogs. Humbling. I need more coaching.

from longcreek wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Whatever floats your boat, hugh, but do you mind if I don't watch?

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Rammcatt, I chop the head off the lines and use amnesia shooting line (100 yds) under that head, and use a shooting cast, pretty much a modded spey cast, and many can cast 150 feet doing that. read the second paragraph of this... http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/fly-fishing/2005/05/going...

and this...

Now, quit bashing me for what I said, I never said that wasn't an accomplishment to cast over 200 feet, but I am saying I have seen it done, just with a different meathod, and a 2 handed rod has more line control than a single, Deeter, want to back that up?
Now, I don't say I have reached every milestone known to flyfishing, never would, so quit acting like it, and 150 foot casts with spey are normal around me, these are big rivers dude.

Now, Cool it and lets both agree to disagree, ok?

AP

from Johnnyras1624 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

thanks grhen, now that i can see the specs, that is incredible. 9'9'' rod.. amazing!

from grhen wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

BTW, I should mention that this is an American record under the rules of the American Casting Association (ACA) and not a world record. World records are different rules and gear restrictions under the auspices of the International Casting Sport Federation (ICSF).

from Alabama Flygirl wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

KD...
243 ft is quite impressive, but the real question is....

are you ready for some football????

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Flygirl!!!!! War... damn... Eagle! Yeah, I'm ready, but last year was so painful for us Wolverines... I can't even talk legitimate smack to buckhunter... Worse yet, I even have Irish fans giving me the preseason business. Imagine that... Irish fans... when in truth (to twist a Winston Churchill saying), never before has anyone cheered so little for a team with so much... Alas, it's August, and hope springs eternal.

from Alabama Flygirl wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Yes Deeter! Hope does spring eternal. I am still listening to the business from the Tide fans(of which my husband is one...sigh)for the drubbing they gave us at the end of the season. Who knows what my Tigers will do this year. Hope your Wolverines have a better run this year. That was quite painful to watch!
Waaaarrrrr Eagle!

from redchaser wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

A lot of the comments here remind me of something a wise friend once told me..."Some people think they can make their own candle burn brighter by blowing out the candle of others". 243 feet with a single handed rod is amazing. Would you rather be accurate than long? I'd bet any amount of money that Rajeff can cast more accurately than anyone on this board, he is versed in all aspects of the sport, and yes he can fish very well. Is a 243 foot cast practical? Of course not, but being able to sling it an insane distance in optimal conditions, means that you shouldn't have any trouble reaching fish busting at 80 feet in a stiff headwind. The longer you can accurately cast and present, the more fish you will reach and catch. It's a great feat by a great angler.

from HughJohnson550 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

i pooped myself

from grhen wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

B) Fly Distance, Singlehanded
entire line.
iii) Line
grains.
four (524) grains.
c) Running line - Unrestricted.
than twelve (12) feet nor shorter than six (6) feet in length.
v) Fly
than five-eighths (5/8) inch in diameter.

The rules make it even more impressive.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Also, Props to G.Loomis. Great rods and superb customer service.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

and this...

Now, Cool it and lets both agree to disagree, ok?

AP

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

You fumble, Buckhunter. At least you did in the Cooper years (the golden age).

I have no clue yet on the setup, but will track that down.

from vince wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Man, I wish there was a video of this!

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Right, Deeter we are on to something here...

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from HughJohnson550 wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

i pooped myself

from Johnnyras1624 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Wow! That Rajeff guy can cast.

Any specs on the rod? I doubt it was a 7ft 4wt.

Double hual?

BTW, Buckeyes don't punt. We play field position.

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Try settin' that hook with the RevereMaxx frogs on the end.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

That's incredible. 243! I can't imagine doing half of that.

from MLH wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from longcreek wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Whatever floats your boat, hugh, but do you mind if I don't watch?

from Johnnyras1624 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from grhen wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Alabama Flygirl wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

KD...
243 ft is quite impressive, but the real question is....

are you ready for some football????

from Alabama Flygirl wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Waaaarrrrr Eagle!

from redchaser wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

X-men are apparently real. What would this guy's moniker be?

If yer a bonefish from space, yer in big trouble.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

@ alex
WOW thats really amazing!

yes i have 2 handed rods
and the 2hander means nothing about "line control"
rather... loading and forming larger D-loops

i thought you said 150+ was "normal" for you????
switch surf casting is not "spey" casting... its 2handed overhead
whats your 550g setup? skagit? with you 14ftr?
so what, a 56ft head...max? with a 15ft tip? 71ft total?
so your shooting 75+ consistently?
please show us we'd all love some pointers