Feather Fashion Absurdity: Would You Pay $1600 For A Chicken?

FlyTalk

August 08, 2011

Feather Fashion Absurdity: Would You Pay $1600 For A Chicken?

By Tim Romano

Unless you've had your head in the clouds for the past nine months, you've undoubtably heard about the fashion craze of women and a few men (think Steven Tyler) placing hackle feathers in their hair as fashion accoutrements.

Fly tiers have been up in arms with shortages of hackle feathers, bird growers have undoubtably been making money, and fly shops have seen a serious influx of young attractive ladies making their way through the doors.

After all the media coverage on the fad and industry hubbub, the latest email from a friend on the matter had me in absolute stitches and has me convinced that the apocalypse is surely upon us. An eBay item labeled as a, "Whiting Grizzly Cree Feather/ Hair Extension" was going for $1600 dollars. In other words, one chicken was possibly fetching close to two grand. For some feathers…

I don't know about you, but something about this just doesn't seem right no matter how you cut it. Was says you?

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

It's absurd. I was actually in a fly shop here in Colorado and they even had some jewelry-type feather things made by a local artist displayed proudly on the counter. I asked them how much hate mail they had gotten so far, but luckily for them the vitriol had been minimal.

The nice thing is that the whole fad has brought some attention to the fly fishing industry and maybe a few of the hipster chicks that have taken to shoving poultry fur in the hair will gain some personal interest in our collective endeavors.

We can always use cute chicks on the river and ladies that understand our obsessions.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I have already had my hackle inventory raided by my stylist. Told her she was crazy spending $200 for enough feathers to do only 6 extensions when I had boxes full of feathers at home. She left my house with a couple nice packs of grizzly hackle at no charge. (have known her since she was born and consider her a second daughter). Both my wife and daughter have feather extensions. The cost of which is unknown.

We can only hope when this fad fades away we can buy back the hackle dirt cheap.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

it won't fade away as fast as we want if we contribute to it.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sounds like free market capitalism today. You guys all for protectionism? Tells me the woman in the family spends the money, and the man whines. The thing is way over blown besides. Fly shops are closing their doors for lack of business..give them a break.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Free market capitalism to me, not today.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

And $1,600 for a chicken ain't nothin. I paid $18,000 for a lemon one time.

from kirkdeeter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I was at the farmer's market in Grand Junction the other day, and there was a booth there offering on-site feather hair extensions for a mere $15... what a deal! I was ready to take the plunge myself, but alas... I don't have enough hair on my head anymore to attach a decent hackle to (I'm always looking for a comedic photo-op). I suspect a back- hair feather extension might be more expensive, and I didn't think it was the time nor place to go for the "Icarus" look, so I passed.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sounds like a great format for creating a bunch of genetic, chicken farmers.. Turkeys crossed with chickens, an ostrich and a chicken with a special ladder to get the job done. All kinds of great new feathers and flies.

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

pancience is a virtue gentelmen in a year or so when your wife wants to go antiqueing or to the flea market you'll jump at the chance. A) it will make her happy. B) you can pick up all that fad tackle cheap.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I'm all for my girlfriend buying the "extentions", then I when she is tired of them I get the feather and I don't have to hear the hour of gripping about why I payed 30 bucks for a package of feathers.. Kinda a win win for me.

from kirkdeeter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

And $1,600 for a chicken ain't nothin. I paid $18,000 for a lemon one time.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

it won't fade away as fast as we want if we contribute to it.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Free market capitalism to me, not today.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago