Tie Talk: Tying a Clown Shoe Caddis in 7 Steps (with Photos)

FlyTalk

February 14, 2012

Tie Talk: Tying a Clown Shoe Caddis in 7 Steps (with Photos)

Today's Tie Talk bug comes to us courtesy of flyrecipes.com and my friend Jay Zimmerman, who developed the Clown Shoe Caddis for my local stream here in Boulder--this is also a great caddis imitation to use anywhere.

Jay says, "The fly is super buoyant, highly visible and easy to tie. It's commonly used as a mule to carry large dropper nymphs. Fly fishing guides love this fly too, as it is very easy for clients to see. It's a killer fly during the Mothers Day Caddis Hatch too!"

If you can't bring yourself to tie it, Umpqua Feather Merchants started producing it commercially a few years ago and should be carried by most local fly shops that bring in Umpqua products.

Click here to see the step-by-step photo instructions for tying this fly.

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Definitely easy to see on the water.

from spiaailtli wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

The step by step cannot be accessed. It requires a login and then takes you to a blank page.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Click flyrecipes.com, click on the recipe then click instructions. It should give you the 7-steps and photos. At least it did for me.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Easy tie, and I tie a lot of them. If you take a piece of poly yarn the righ size, catch it in the MIDDLE of the yarn where you want the wing post, few wraps to secure, then pull up both ends of the yarn, and wrap around the base making the post, there is no bulk built up...easy deal, and on the them of the KLINKENHYMER.(sp?
Designed on the caddis/pupa hook to have the butt hang down in below the surface, and appear to be an emerger.

from Jan J. Mudder wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I like this pattern, and I haven't tried it before, but it looks like it's intended to be an emerger, so I have two questions/suggestions: Wouldn't this be improved by adding a small amber antron shuck for a tail, and wouldn't tying it parachute style have the same effect as trimming the hackles flush? I've tied some both ways, and spring can't come soon enough.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Definitely easy to see on the water.

from spiaailtli wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago