Carp Lure One of World's Best Fly Fishermen to US

FlyTalk

August 19, 2013

Carp Lure One of World's Best Fly Fishermen to US

By Kirk Deeter

To say that Stu Tripney is a world-class angler is an understatement. He is one of best guides when it comes to spotting, stalking, and catching New Zealand's famous large trout. He is also New Zealand's first certified International Federation of Fly Fishers Master Casting Instructor. He blogs, he writes, he teaches.

Tripney is a world-traveler who has fished in places and caught species I've never even heard of. And of all the places in the world where he could go when he wants a challenge, he comes to the U.S. to fly fish for carp.

"When it's winter back home, I like to visit the States, but I come here to chase carp," Tripney said. "I get all the great trout fishing I want back in New Zealand, but I find the challenge of fly fishing for carp especially interesting, and the States has so much to offer."

So let's get this clear: One of the best guides from one of the world's premiere trout fishing locales spends his off-season by flying across the Pacific Ocean and touring the backwaters and carp sloughs of America; from the inner cities to the backcountry.

I had the pleasure of bumping into Tripney at this summer's ICAST trade show in Las Vegas, when he introduced himself and described his latest fishing odyssey: an American carp escapade that took him coast to coast. Just before I met him, he had been near Dutch John, Utah—not chasing big browns and rainbows on the Green River—on Flaming Gorge Reservoir chasing carp in the shallows.

He came to the U.S. because carp fishing interests him and challenges him as an angler. It makes him better. This, from the man whose business slogan is "Fishing into the Future and Beyond."

'Nuff said.

from habben97 wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

the headline confused me. carp are fun to fish for though. I just got permission to fish a lake full of them. went yesterday, saw lots of jumping, but didn't catch one. saw a huge one just under the surface.

from buckhunter wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

The early smallmouth bite has sidetracked me from chasing carp but I think I'll hit the flats again soon. It was about September of last year I noticed large carp chasing schools of bait fish in the backwater and attacking white woolly buggers cast anywhere near them.

Has anyone else experienced this?

from Koldkut wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

See, there's a guy that gets it.

Buck, Yes, the late summer, early fall bite for carp out here is rediculous to say the least, the bass guys get soo frustrated when the carp turn to jerkbaits, top water, and cranks.

from Dangle wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

You guys, and your carp. All a commercial stunt to expand fly fishing at the cash register. I root for you guys back East. Hope you have big carp orgy parties, and lighten up on my great trout waters out West.

from skeenaspey wrote 2 weeks 1 day ago

This short story amazed me! Meeting and knowing more about the best fly fisherman in the world is one great achievement. I'm also interested to have information regarding the best fly fishing in the world.

from habben97 wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

Has anyone else experienced this?

from Koldkut wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

See, there's a guy that gets it.

from Dangle wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago