Streamer: Neat Interactive Map Traces US Rivers and Streams, Spits Out Stats

FlyTalk

October 07, 2013

Streamer: Neat Interactive Map Traces US Rivers and Streams, Spits Out Stats

By Tim Romano

Courtesy of our friends over at TRCP and the Center for Water Resources I was alerted to one of the more interesting interactive maps regarding water, rivers and where they all end up. It's called Streamer (no, not that kind) and was developed by the U.S. Geological Survey. As Jimmy Hauge over at TRCP says, "It's like a Google map for rivers, and lets you follow any major river or stream in America upstream to its headwaters or downstream to the ocean. With it, you can see the interconnectedness of water. And you can see why anglers who care about Gulf fishing must also care about South Dakota farming."

Once a stream/river is traced up or down you can generate a report that tells you the length of a given piece of water, where it finally empties, if there are any gages on it, how many counties it runs through, the populations of said counties, cities, etc. It's a very cool tool and quite a bit of fun once you start messing around with it.

from VAHunter540 wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

Awesome! A lot of us have been taught and abide by “don’t piss up river of where you drink” but seeing the “interconnectedness” on this broad a scale is incredible. Gave me a new appreciation for something I knew but didn’t quite grasp the magnitude and intricateness of.

from Dangle wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

Just remember all of those dangerous critters that target out of staters if you are thinkin about Idaho waters. (ie) West Nile Mosquitoes, ticks, mountain lions, and grizzlies. I can always tell an out of stater tried his luck by following the circlin buzzards.

from Dangle wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

from jaukulele wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

This sounds like I'd get addicted really quickly. Very cool.

from VAHunter540 wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

from Dangle wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

from Dangle wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

from jaukulele wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

This sounds like I'd get addicted really quickly. Very cool.