Bourjaily: The Internet Movie Firearms Database

The Gun Nuts

April 15, 2009

Bourjaily: The Internet Movie Firearms Database

By Phil Bourjaily

We talk about gun movies a lot on this blog, so let me tell you about a website I stumbled across recently: the Internet Movie Firearms Database. It is, simply, Wikipedia for guns in the movies. Pick a title, and you’ll find a listing of every last gun used in that movie, along with stills, a little about each gun, nitpicking of errors, and so on. Or, you can look up a gun, and find out what movies it was in. Following the Wikipedia model, the imfdb is cooperatively written and edited, so if you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can write it yourself. If you find an error, you can edit it.

Here, just to give you an idea, is the listing for “Saving Private Ryan:”

Surfing the site, which runs from “A Beautiful Mind” to “Zulu Dawn” I have learned that:
the Cobra Assault Cannons in “Robocop” – my favorite dystopian-future movie  – are dressed-up .50 BMGs.

“The Unit” must hold the all-time TV (imfdb has entries for TV, too)  record for variety of guns on screen. Mostly, they get the guns right, although in one scene featuring clay target shooting at a Rich Guy’s house, they use a cheap, clunky, Turkish Stevens 512 O/U, suggesting that being a Rich Guy isn’t what it used to be.

“The Bridge at Remagen,” which I saw in the theater when I was young, is an under-rated gun movie. It gets major bonus points for using several real M-24 Chafee tanks of the type that actually crossed the bridge.

And so on, and on, and on . . .like the Internet itself, the site seems endless, and like the Internet, it is simultaneously an awe-inspiring repository of human knowledge and a monumental waste of time.

Enjoy.

from 60256 wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Does the wikipedia part mean that anybody can post anything even if it's complete bulls***?

Nate

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 5 days ago

One of my favorite TV/movie gun shooting foulups is when the shooter, usually a swat team member, shoulders the gun on the right side and looks through the scope with the left eye.

from shane wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Best part about movie guns - when the action is about to start, everyone cocks their gun. Wouldn't you have already done that if you knew you were about to step into a gunfight?

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 5 days ago

I like the scene when the shooter is armed with a 1911 while holding someone at gun point, but the hammer is not cocked back and the gun fires!

from peter wrote 5 years 5 days ago

some of the guns are pretty cheap ones but i guess im not suprised you barly get a clear view of them so i guess the movie people dont care

from MLH wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Oh, great ... another site with lots of useless trivia to enjoy.

This, for some reason, reminded me of an old B&W war movie. Japanese submariners were looking through a periscope and talking to each other in Japanese. English subtitles indicated they were getting ready to launch a torpedo at an American ship. My mom started laughing, and at such a serious point in the movie. She said the real Japanese actors were just talking about the weather. But, how many American directors, editors, and crew could understand Japanese back then.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 5 days ago

As with many things on the web this is a new site to offer us entertainment on those cold evenings when the alternative is television. I usually flip through 100-200 channels turn it off, look for a book, do a little reloading, or check out the web. Yeah I should get a life.

from Vagabond wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Ralph - Yep, it must be the new single double action model... and sometimes the slide is locked back while capturing the culprit...FREEZE or I'll reload and shoot you!

Ever notice that some actors make fortunes on exagerated gun violence movies and then pose anti-gun on the issues? I sure miss the Duke. Thank God for Tom Selleck. Wish there were more...

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 5 days ago

I checked it out an kinda like it... they even make fun of the actors with their unloaded guns on the web site and discuss the mistakes.

from Mark-1 wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Clint Eastwood was always shouldering a rifle righthanded, but aiming with his left eye in the S'gette Westerns.

from Sharkfin wrote 5 years 4 days ago

My brother-in-law shoulders his gun right handed but uses his left eye to look through the scope. He is left eye dominant but right handed. I'm a lefty and I've tried to look through the scope with my right eye but can't see anything at all. I can catch and throw with either hand, I can bat right or left, I'm a right handed golfer but I can't shoot a rifle or shotgun right handed to save my life.

from HogBlog wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Good stuff! I spend a lot of time on IMDB looking for info on specific movies, but had no idea there was a similar site for movie/TV firearms! Awesome!

Or maybe not so great...? Already, I drive my GF crazy picking apart the gun errors in movies. Now I've got a site to verify my own criticism.

from Carney wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Monumental waste of time? -- Only if you should be doing something else!

I shoot righthanded but practice shooting left handed ever since I tried using a tree stand. A shot to the right side needs a left handed shooter!

from Evan V wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Very handy to have.

But now I have a question for you gun nuts.
My friend recently got a new rifle, a MAS-36 rifle. And on it, the end had this short stub with a rounded ball end.
Its not the front strap, so what could it be? Here's an image of one just like it, though not it.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Evan V, Could it have a function with the reversible bayonet the MAS had?

from duckcreekdick wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Evan V.
First of all, the rifle is not a MAS, but a straight-pull Steyr. My guess is that the prong on the end is for stacking several rifles together, while the squad rests and eat their black bread and bratwurst.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 3 days ago

Phil B.

Off the subject, but I was rambling in my local gun shop yesterday and lo and behold there was a Benelli Vinci and a SBE. That Vinci does balance and point very well, not too much difference from the SBE. Nice, but still ugly and not in my budget at $1589.

WMH

from crm3006 wrote 5 years 3 days ago

Evan V-
The rifle you pictured is not a MAS-36, it is a Styer Mod. 95 straight pull. The stub with round ball on the end is a stacking device to stack several rifles.
Beware the rifle and have it checked out by a competent gunsmith before firing. It should be chambered for a 8 mm rimmed round that uses a stripper clip device and inserts in groups of 5. (8mm X54R)?
Some of thes rifles were re-chambered to accept the 8mm Mauser round, which is a rimless round, 7.92mm X 56.
The straight pull action should be checked out carefully also.

from Evan V wrote 5 years 3 days ago

I know its not. Thats why I said image LIKE it, not OF it.
But thanks for answering, we were baffled.

from Big O wrote 5 years 2 days ago

Yea, slides open but gun fires, single action/double action fires, 22 shot/ 6 guns, and what about all the military movies that the only people who run out of ammo(hundreds of rounds) are the bad guys, or better thousands of rounds fired and NOBODY HIT !!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 1 day ago

Well, you have got to admit that in REAL BATTLE situations,many shots are fired,and many do not hit their intented targets. So this aspect of Hollywood is partially true!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 21 hours ago

Cool website. Deffinantly going to be boosting the hits of that sight with a post like this. Checked it out and seems like a really cool site. Wonder how long it took to identify the guns in the movies and whos idea it was in the first place for the website?

from Big O wrote 5 years 2 days ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Oh, great ... another site with lots of useless trivia to enjoy.

from 60256 wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Nate

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from shane wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from peter wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from Vagabond wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from Mark-1 wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from Sharkfin wrote 5 years 4 days ago

from HogBlog wrote 5 years 4 days ago

from Carney wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Monumental waste of time? -- Only if you should be doing something else!

from Evan V wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Very handy to have.

But now I have a question for you gun nuts.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Evan V, Could it have a function with the reversible bayonet the MAS had?

from duckcreekdick wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Evan V.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 3 days ago

Phil B.

WMH

from crm3006 wrote 5 years 3 days ago

Evan V-
The straight pull action should be checked out carefully also.

from Evan V wrote 5 years 3 days ago

I know its not. Thats why I said image LIKE it, not OF it.
But thanks for answering, we were baffled.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 1 day ago